“Good hotel let down by location and barely average rooms”

Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Spent 3 nights here with my wife while she was running a small conference in the hotel.

Pros:
- Lobby, main ballroom, bar, restaurant and meeting rooms have all been renovated and look very nice.
- Comfortable beds.
- I found the staff to be helpful and courteous.
- The assistance provided to my wife for the conference by the Sheraton was very good and all items the hotel were responsible for happened on time and without problem.
- Conference food (buffets) provided by the hotel was of good quality.
- Free parking.
- Westport/Hotel complex contains many eating/drinking options for guests.
- Lobby had cold water, cereal bars and bananas out for us when we returned from our run each morning (usually only see this at Ritz or 4 Seasons).

Cons:
- The rooms seem to have been partially updated recently but are very rough around the edges.
- Very dirty windows/balcony doors.
- The card reader door locks gave many guests problems, including myself.
- Rooms lack usual Sheraton touches like a safe or fridge.
- The guest room hallways don't seem to be property air conditioned, felt very damp and had a strange odour.
- Shower head in tub was only 4 feet off the ground making showers awkward.
- Hotel is 20 miles from St. Louis and surrounded by business parks and dreadful suburban developments. Nothing to do within walking distance.
- Lack of sidewalks and streetlights make a morning run dangerous.

Over all I felt that this was a good hotel let down by it's location in suburbia and subpar rooms which were a bit rough around the edges. Okay for an overnight Interstate pullout but likely not a place you want to be stuck for 4 days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear RyleyinSTL,

Thank for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay we appreciate your feedback.

It is wonderful to hear that you found our staff so courteous and helpful. We are glad they were able to accommodate you and your wife during the duration of your stay. We understand that staying in a hotel for days at a time is not always ideal so we strive to make you feel at home while you are here.

We apologize we did not provide you with a perfect stay with us. I would like to assure you that your concerns about the rooms have been addressed and we have communicated with housekeeping and maintenance departments to ensure that these issues are corrected.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is our hope that you allow us to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just can't thank the staff, Ashley Hogan, Nancy Masterson and the supervisors enough. Our event hosted over 500 people from all over. Everyone from the front desk, to food & beverage, to convention services couldn't have been easier to work with. All pros, everyone. 400+ dinners at one time....all fed quickly (hot food), Donna and Milan were over the top with accomodating service. the 3-4 day event went without a hitch...to the smallest detail. We have a home there and ther employees are part of our family. We look forward to seeing them as much as we do our attendees. Somebody at the top must be doing something right there....we have the pleasure of dealing with the same employees every year.....oh yeah, I almost forgot....the rooms were clean and modern, priced great, restuarant and bar exceptional. With the Westport campus just outside the door, you don't need a car to get to great restuarants or just a stroll. .....top recommendation!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower might be a little larger but the rooms in the chalet have great patios and/or vie...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Mr. W,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay at the Sheraton Westport. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, the hotel’s location. Your positive comments regarding our staff will be shared with the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you and your group back, hopefully soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Overall the hotel was nice. Front desk staff was very nice, friendly, and helpful. Room was nice (except for the stained sheets). There was a balcony which was nice but it overlooked a large trash dumpster in the parking lot. There was only one elevator which couldn't hold more than 4-5 average size people. Dining area and bar was 5 star but breakfast was not included in the price. It was $10 for a continental breakfast and I believe $15 for cook to order. We enjoyed Denny's around the corner! Other perks included a short distance to the Ameristar Casino (fabulous) and not far from many restaurants, banks and shopping. It is approximately 25 minutes from Downtown St. Louis (where all the action is).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank vwfine

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for staying with us

We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderfull stay. We consistently strive to deliver the best service and product to our guests.We apologize for your inconvenience with the elevators and sheets and assure you that our manegment team will look into this and corret immediatley to avoid such inciedents in the future.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

If you check out my other reviews, I usually praise a staff member, or point out a positive experience/experiences. I could go on and on about the issues I encountered here, but the worst part of my stay was the way I was treated by Jason [--].
I am stunned he represents Starwood hotels.

The elevators take a long time, and my room was not clean. It appears my room had been wiped down with a rag or cloth that had been used in many previous rooms, so it was being "cleaned" with something dirty.There was hair all over my bathroom-the floor, the tub (a disgusting stain on the comforter, as well).
When I used the Link a couple times, I noticed the same Housekeeping employee on the computers. He had printed a lenghty list of reviews on a new rap CD..this being said, Mr. [--] still wins the prize for worst employee I have encountered at a hotel in years.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank BobLovesSRS
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

CONS: 4th floor hallway smelled of cheap deodorizer and has decor from possibly the 70s?. Bathrooms in rooms are very cramped, you can't open the door if someone has it occupied. No microwave or fridge in rooms. No free breakfast, it will cost you over $10.00. Wifi in the room is not free, you have to go down to the lobby. Take the stairs, the elevator (which is also small) is very slow.

PROS: I really found the bed to be extremely comfortable. Really love the blankets. I have to sleep with a fan, so I actually enjoyed the loud AC. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. The staff who I encountered during my stay, were very friendly.

All in all it was okay.

• Stayed: August 2012
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Westport for your recent stay

We are pleased you have enjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeped bed and the bedding made specific for Sheraton. We are also delighted to hear that the staff you encountered was very Friendly.
I do sympathize with you having to pay for internet unfortinatley it is brand policy, however we offer complimentary internet in the lobby and also in the Sheraton Link with access to four computers and a printer.
Microwave & refrigrator are avaliable upon request at no charge

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I just returned home from a three night stay and was plesantly surprised with the Sheraton Chalet. I wasn't initially sure what to expect, when I mentioned I was staying there to a few collegues I was visiting, the reactions were mixed--a few mentioned it's old but ok, and others said the adjacent tower property was better. I had a great rate booked and decided to keep my reservation as is and I'm glad I did.

The hotel itself is charming on the exterior with the bravarian styling. Inside, the lobby was a large very nice area with several seating areas. The check in desk area is very small and almost a little confusing as there is a large sign on the desk for the frequent guest gold/platinum members so it almost appears to be exclusively for those guests but is not. Off the lobby there is a restaurant and bar area. I did not dine in the hotel so I cannot comment on that.

The hotel also has several large conference rooms and banquet facitilies along with several outdoor seating areas which all looked very nice. There were several meetings and groups staying in the hotel so the lobby/restaurant areas always had people and a good buzz of conversation going. Was nice change from some of the quiet more boring hotel stays I've had.

The room itself was really spacious and larger than a typical hotel room. I had a king bed which was very comfortable. There was a very large desk and workspace and what seemed like a ton of open floor space which was really nice. They had a fully stocked coffee cart with Starbucks products and the bathroom was decent size, had good lighting and nice amenities and tons of storage space. Best perk was having a private balcony with chairs. My view wasn't the best--overlooked with shopping area and was a little too warm to really enjoy it but still was nice to have.

I didn't have much down time so I didn't get to even see the pool areas or much of the grounds but from what I did see, they looked nice. I didn't at all find the hotel outdated, seemed to have been updated recently as the fixtures, bedding and furniture all appeared to be newer. I am very glad I stayed and will definitely be staying for my future visits to the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Westport Chalet and for your positive feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the spaciousness of our guest rooms. We are also delighted with how charming you found the overall design of our hotel. Hopefully next time you will have more downtime to enjoy our outdoor pool area.

Sorry you were not pleased with the view of the plaza, for future reference, we do have rooms that overlook the lake which are generally available upon request.

We aim to provide a warm, comforting, community for all of or guests. Therefore, your feedback is very valuable to us.

Thank you again for your time and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed there recently for three days and after the first night I notice bites on my legs in the morning. After a quick bed bug google, it didn't take long to figure out what kind of bites I had.I immediately reported this situation to the front desk and they promptly moved me to another room and of course denied that their hotel had a bed bug problem. By the time I checked out I had 10 bites on my legs and in an area I don't care to mention. I guess it doesn't matter if you stay in a budget or a luxury hotel. I must mention that they did comp my stay but that still doesn't help the situation that I endured for a week. I had to leave my suitcase and brief case in my car in the hot sun for three days to assure that they were all dead (heat is not their friend). I then proceeded to throw out both the suitcase & brief case and all my sundries just to be sure. The wife washed the clothes in hot water and cleaned out shoes and wiped down leather goods with alcohol. It was not a good experience. The hotel did tell me they closed the rooms above/below and on both sides of the initial room but never said anything about the second room they put me in. I have learned to not take any hotel name/chain for granted. Pull those sheets off and check the mattress seams and I will be purchasing Bed Bug repellant and WILL NOT be leaving home without it!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank grt2815
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

First and foremost it should be noted that this isolated incident has been taken very seriously by the staff and management of The Sheraton Westport Hotel. Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed as there is no bed bug problem at the hotel.

Although an isolated occurrence, anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason it becomes a top concern for all of us at the Sheraton Westport Hotel, as guest satisfaction and comfort remain our number one priority.

Regarding the incident in question the room was immediately taken off market; followed by a thorough professional examination by our local pest control vendor. The guest room had no evidence of a bed bug issue and a copy of this inspection is currently on file in the executive office. It was not until management was 100% certain that the room was suitable for occupancy that it was returned to inventory. In an effort to resolve this issue the guest was also personally contacted by an executive committee member explaining the results and compensated for the inconvenience and any anxiety this may have caused, despite the nonexistent findings of the local pest control vendor.

As an experienced and conscientious hospitality professional this incident is both frustrating and alarming, as we host thousands of guests each year, consistently providing exemplary service and comfort. We unequivocally apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort this guest experienced and once again, we would like to assure you that the Sheraton Westport Hotel does not have a bed bug problem. We take every step including staff training and implementing professional preventative programs to insure our guests’ comfort.

Employees of the Sheraton Westport Hotel are firmly committed to guest satisfaction and the guest experience. We would like to personally invite you to experience this for yourself.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St...
#9 of 17 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Comfort Inn Westport
Comfort Inn Westport
#10 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis - Westport

Been to Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!