“Works hard to catch up”

Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Unfortunately when you are an older hotel and you are competing with newer spaces you need to work a bit harder. This hotel does not quite get it on a consistent basis. And if you are going to take sports teams then you need to honor the commitment and not cut corners on them. The "special" breakfast was NOT very special. In fact it was not very good.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank ML7kc
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us & for your feedback

Please accept my sincere apology that we did not provide you with a perfect stay & your breakfast was not to your satisfaction. I assure you that your comments have been shared with manegment & we will work to correct

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent three nights at this hotel for a conference, and never again. Our two biggest complaints were the climate system and the availability of restaurants (see below for that story). First, our thermostat kept resetting to 72 degrees after about two hours, no matter what we tried to set it at. Come to find out, this is intentional and the hotel has purposely bought these torture devices to save money. We have stayed at many, many hotels, many of which are investing in various green technologies to keep heating and cooling costs down. I applaud all that. But this system (not based on motion detection, by the way) makes no sense whatsoever. Think about it -- It is 40 degrees outside, we want 68 or so, and we are forced to heat the room to 72 (?) This forces you to wake up, sweaty, multiple times a night to try to cool the room down. Shame on Sheraton for doing this -- making guests feel like they have some control over the temperature, when really they don't. And shame on them for buying such a stupid, inefficient system.
Our second big gripe was the apparent lack of food options on site. My 8 year old daughter and I went in search of dinner one night and were told by the front desk staff that the restaurant in the hotel was our only option. They said there was nothing else nearby. The restaurant looked closed. It was dark and no one was there. It really wasn't at all what we wanted -- way fancier than necessary -- but we sat down anyway. After several minutes of nothing happening I went in search of someone and eventually someone came over from the nearby bar to take our order, reassuring us that yes, the restaurant was open. After sitting for several more minutes in the darkened restaurant, we decided the whole thing was so strange that we bailed out, skipped dinner and went back to our room. The thing that infuriates me about this was that just outside the hotel, between it and its sister hotel a stone's throw away, there are multiple restaurants, tucked away in an atrium within two minutes' walking distance. Casual and perfect for a grabbing a quick sandwich. *The front desk staff intentionally lied to us and withheld this information, apparently to try to fatten its bottom line a bit more (?) This is their policy? To lie to a guest, who just wants a sandwich? That is really sad, and it is the exact opposite of hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank freqflyer67
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. It is when guests like yourself provide feedback that we are best able to make the necessary corrections.

I have addressed these issues with the Restaurant and Maintenance Managers and have taken the necessary steps to correct these problems. I assure you that your experience is not typical for our hotel and sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion of our establishment by staying with us again.

Again, thank you for your time, and please accept my apologies.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

If you want a good night's sleep, try another hotel. The bed in our first room backed up to the elevator shaft and we heard noisy elevators rattling up and down all night. We were moved to the room next door, but we still heard the elevators all night. We were also awakened by an odd noise in the middle night and determined that it was the man next door snoring. Apparently there is no insulation in the hotel.

We were supposed to have free wireless Internet access in our room, but I was unable to access it. I called the front desk to ask why and they transferred me to an automated "technical support" recording. After 20 minutes, I gave up. I mentioned it upon checkout but received an "oh well" sort of response.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TwoTravelers99
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback

We are dedicated to ensuring that you do have a good night’s sleep when you stay with us and do follow a noise procedure of warning disrupting guests that they will be removed from the hotel on any further disturbances. We will advise our Managers to be more diligent over this to eliminate any of these noise concerns from our guest room floors

Reviewed October 24, 2011

While the facility, room & area is nice for the price, I booked this hotel for my family to SLEEP. Our room was within 30 feet of the lobby so I find it hard to understand why we spend 10pm-3am AWAKE from an apparent teenage party in the halls, complete with yelling, door-slamming and other customers stepping-in to try to calm them down.
It is the responsibility of the staff to maintain a reasonable level of quiet if they expect for customers pay for sleeping there. I should have taken my family (with baby) to a hostel, apparently, and managed the crowd myself.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JP_Kansas

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sheraton Westport Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

The experience you describe causes us deep concern. We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any frustration and anxiety that it may have caused you during your stay. Our aim and intent is to ensure all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently. I can only reiterate our regret about the general attitude that we did not handle the situation in the proper manner. Kindly rest assured that training in regards to guest relations will be carried out to avoid such incidents in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Party of 3 stayed one night Thursday October 6. 2011. We booked through Hotwire for 61.00 a night. The desk clerk was very nice and the lobby area clean and bright. We stayed in one of the lower level chalet rooms which has pros and cons. Pros: easy parking, no long hauls of luggage to the room. We also had a second door in the room to the outside pool area , the pool was closed but it was nice to sit there and feed the friendly ducks. It was also a quiet location and quiet room. Cons: Shabby lower level corridors, room small, bathroom VERY small especially for three females to get ready. There needs to be another vanity area outside of the bathroom with outlets for the must have hair appliances.

Room Tip: I did have the choice of room locations at check in, which is rare in a Hotwire rate.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank IndyDenise
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us & for your feedback

Pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, convenient location of your guest, friendly staff & the easy access to the outdoor pool.

We will have our general clean team take a look at the corridors for improvement

Reviewed October 4, 2011

The first thing I have to mention is the amazing service. Maybe I'd been out of the midwest for too long, but all of the staff was very courteous and even went out of their way to print directions to various things to do when visiting the city. The location is great as well, as it is right next to West Port Plaza with tons of places to eat. The rooms were clean and kept well, the beds cozy, and I will definitely stay here again if I return to the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the Westport area & the pleasant staff

We strive to meet every guest expectations & to make your stay most enjoyable

Thank you again for your time & we look forward to your next visit

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Hard to find parking on hotel grounds, limited space. Other option was to pay for parking. Ordered room service, food was greasy. Person who brought food was somewhat rude, "ain't got nowhere to sit this food.". After they put 18% tip on would expect friendly service. Booked hotel through priceline so room was a decent price. Probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Jeff A
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for not providing you with a perfect stay. your comments are dissapointing to me & i assure you that we will correct them

we hope that next time you are in the area that you consider staying with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St...
#9 of 17 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Comfort Inn Westport
Comfort Inn Westport
#10 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis - Westport

Been to Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!