“Nice but expensive, hard to get around”

Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Westport Chalet is a nice little hotel. Even though it's in a busy suburb of St. Louis right along the interstate, they still manage to make the setting beautiful. With a charming Swiss exterior and trails wrapping around a small pond behind the hotel, it has an atmosphere that is well-suited to quiet enjoyment.

The convention space inside the hotel is spacious but sprawling, with no connecting hallway on the bottom floor. In fact, there's no connecting hallway on the bottom floor between the hotel rooms and the convention area (except for a narrow corridor that is always locked on one end) NOR between two of the convention areas on the bottom floor themselves. After being in convention spaces with stranger layouts, it wasn't a huge deal, but it does make for a difficult time getting equipment around the place.

The rooms are small. Very small. A room with two beds feels like a queen-bed room with two doubles shoved in there together. If they hadn't been so expensive (over $100 a night even with the convention rate), I wouldn't have minded as much.

I believe there was free internet. That wasn't important on this trip, but it may be important if we go back again.

The staircase down to the Versailles ballroom is beautiful but seems to be marble. It got rather slippery during the convention, and I almost fell down it.

It's a fine space for conventions and conferences. The rooms are nicely-decorated but small. The pool wasn't open while we were there, and the torches in the back of the hotel were not lit. I imagine it's quite beautiful at night when they are.

No real complaints but nothing that stands out terribly either except how pretty the hotel is on the outside.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
SheratonWestportPlz, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Thank you for your recent review of our property! We are glad to hear that you had a good stay. Right now our outdoor pool is open and the grounds are all set for summertime! It looks fabulous! We have recently renovated our entire lobby, with which slip resistant edging was placed on every stair of the marble staircase down to our Versailles Ballroom! Although you had a good stay, we strive for excellence at the Sheraton Lakeside Chalet and hope that you do come back to see us again soon for the exceptional experience that we know we can provide!
Ashley Hogan
Front Office Manager
Sheraton Hotels in Westport

Reviewed June 3, 2011

We didn't know what to expect after reading some of the reviews, but the place was great!
Friendly staff..wonderful room..clean...king size bed with great linens..nice assortment of toiletries...Starbucks coffee in coffee maker...good location surrounded by good restaurants in all price ranges...paper outside the door every morning.
We loved it!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor in the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
SheratonWestportPlz, Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

Thank you so very much for your review of our property! We are so glad to hear that you had a fabulous stay! The Starbucks in the room is always a big hit! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed June 1, 2011

This place is old except for the lobby. Everything else has a fresh coat of paint to cover up how old it is, but the carpet tells the truth. We booked through a 3rd party and when we woke up to go eat the "complimentary breakfast" (as advertised on their website with no caveats), they asked for our room# then said we didn't qualify. What a joke! Sheraton obviously has cheapos running their accounting department. The beds were very uncomfortable, too, and I usually love sleeping on a hard mattress.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing our property we certainly appreciate the feedback. I apologize sincerely about the issues that you experienced while staying with us. We are currently looking into the situation regarding the breakfast that should have been included in your room, we are not sure where the miscommunication occured, but will of course try our best to remedy this issue so that it does not happen to any future guests. If you do come back to see us in the future I would love to offer you complimentary breakfast! Also, I am so very sorry about the bed issues that you experienced. All Sheraton hotels have what is called the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed, which is usually know for its high level of comfort, and I can only apologize that this bed did not seem to live up to this standard.
Again thank you very much for letting us know about your stay with us!
Thank you!

Reviewed May 22, 2011

This has to be the lousiest stay i have ever had I'm thinking a nice area should have a nice hotel well if you are booking through a agency online don't even bother staying at this hotel . This hotel was so sneaky that they placed bottles of water in the room and once you open these bottles of water they will charge you $4.00 for 2 bottles of water and will tack this on your financial statement. Not only was the deceit deceiving but they placed me down this long hall way all the way in an end room away from civilization I suppose. The room was old, dusty, and very unmaintained I would have better stayed in my car than live here in this hotel and guess what upon checkout the woman at the front desk tell me no charge. Why WAS I charged $4.00 for 2 bottles of water ?

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
SheratonWestportPlz, Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2011

I would like first & foremost apologize for the misscomunitcation in regards to the in room bottled water this is a hotel brand standard to charge non-SPG guests $4.00 per Bottle. I am glad that the guest agent took care of the charges for you upon check out.

Again thank you for staying with us hope to see you in the future

Best Regards

Reviewed May 19, 2011

As one of 80 reunion members, I found Chalet comfortable, tidy and clean. Staff service was uniformly excellent. Hotel shows its age, but my room on 2nd floor and Club Lounge on 5th floor were in top shape. Complementary breakfast and coctail/hors d'oeuvre hour in Club Lounge for guests in club class rooms were superior - $20 per room daily fee for Club Lounge privilege worth the price, especially if you have two or more in your party. Hotel dining room better than average and many restaurants in surrounding Westport complex, several quite good. I ate well at Trainwreck Saloon (good beers on tap), Drunken Fish, and Paul Mineo's Trattoria. Not many tourist type shops in complex - a plus for my nickel. Overall a comfortable place and good value.

Room Tip: Go for Club class room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
SheratonWestportPlz, Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2011

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Hotel Lakeside Chalet & for your kind review. We are pleased you have enjoyed your guest room, club lounge & Westport restaurants.
We strive to make every guest feel like they are at their home away from home and it's with feedback from our guests that we continue to grow and provide great customer service
We look forward to seeing you next time you are in St. Louis
Thanks & Best Regards

Reviewed April 12, 2011

The hotel is an older hotel but has been renovated recently. The renovations however did not help keep the rooms clean. First off, most, if not all the rooms have two doors that open up to the inside and outside. The outside doors do not seem very secure as there is only a residential style deadbolt keeping the door locked. The outside door is also very drafty, at least in the room we stayed in. The cooling / heating unit is very noisy when it kicks on and off. I opened one of the drawers of the dresser and there were crumbs inside from a previous guest. We had booked the hotel for two nights but only stayed one, checking out early the next morning and heading to another hotel for the rest of our stay. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Another note about the area of the hotel, Westport Plaza. The place is becoming very run down, the restaurants are few and far between and not very good, the shops have all closed, the grounds are not very well maintainted and dirty. The area is in desparate need of renewal in some form.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank WillTraveler73
SheratonWestportPlz, Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Westport Lakeside Chalet & for taking the time to post some feedback regarding your stay with us.
We are pleased to announce our completion of a multi million dollar renovation.
I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. the issues you have reported are disapointing to me & we will work to correct them.
We appreciate your business & please let me know if your travel brings you back to our area as I would be happy to personaly assit with your reservations
Gina Fayek

Reviewed April 2, 2011

Overall this hotel is fine. I was relatively comfortable here. The hotel is somewhat an older building. The walls and hallways are a bit run down. The rooms are pretty comfortable for the most part.

I would stay here again. For the price I think it may be a little on the high side. The location is great.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
SheratonWestportPlz, Manager at Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. we are glad you enjoed our guest rooms & the location was convenient.
Sheraton Chalet completed lobby renovation 12/2010 & new Flat screen TV"s in all guest rooms.
We value your business & look forward to having you back

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St. Louis
Sheraton Westport Plaza Hotel St...
#9 of 17 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Comfort Inn Westport
Comfort Inn Westport
#10 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis - Westport

Been to Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel St. Louis? Share your experiences!