“Delicious food - service was lacking”
Review of Acero

Acero
Reserve with OpenTable
Acero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 36 Restaurants in Maplewood
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Southwest
Description: An Italian restaurant acclaimed for it's amazing and authentic Italian dishes and perfect wine pairings.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a work dinner at Acero this week. When we arrived, our table of 6 was the only table of people in the restaurant (when we left, there was only one other table of people). Our waiter was knowledgeable, but not friendly, and acted superior. Not once did he ask us how we liked the food or come back to check to see if we needed anything. The only time he came to the table was to bring us our courses, clear our dishes and bring our drinks. When we got the bill, he told us he added on a 20% gratuity................for a table of 6?!?! And it wasn't even listed on the menu that they would do this. Granted, at least he told us the gratuity was added on (I really dislike when they don't tell you!), but 20%. I normally would tip at least 20%, but it irks me when they add it on automatically for a party of 6 when there was almost nobody else in the restaurant.

The food on the other hand was delicious! I highly recommend the meat donuts, the ragu, and the warm chocolate cake with salted caramel ice cream!!!!

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

The food was terrible. Ordered medium rare lamb and was served well done. After I complained they go it redone. This time one piece was medium rare the other was extremely rare/uncooked. Not sure how they mess this up?

Other things we ordered were average not exceptional or great.

1  Thank Mmbasu
Reviewed November 3, 2012

A frequently visited restaurant in St Louis Maplewood area, offers a unique menu with home made pasta and excellent italian wine and a sampling of appetizers and italian cheese
Their main course is also available in smaller portions and the tasting menu s a good place to start
The service is excellent and the waiters very friendly and helpful

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I took my girlfriend to this restaurant on our second date. In fact, she has been here in the past and raved about the egg raviolo. She was right! The menu here is truly unique, the staff is very accommodating, and the dishes are extremely tasty. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and there was plenty of food on the menu for her. I highly recommend the tasting menus - definitely a good deal and you'll want to try the eclectic tastes of many dishes. We stayed well past closing (not intentionally) and didn't feel rushed at all. The wine selection could be more diverse and perhaps a little better explained for the lay-person on the menu but you will not be disappointed eating here! Enjoy!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We ate there 2 weeks ago with 2 of our grown kids - I don't usually like an outside table, but the weather was perfect, so we did. Service was perfect, the winelist reasonably priced. The special was escolar (an ocean fish) prepared with a delicate glaze that gave it a hint of a crunch.

My son had the lamb - really tasty.

We're going back to St Louis this Saturday for a birthday event, and I chose to go back to Acero.

1  Thank SpringfieldFresser