“food was fine, but not great.”
Review of Monarch - CLOSED

Monarch
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sutton
Reviewed May 6, 2012

It's ok. The food was fine, but not great. It was a little overpriced. I was not impressed, but was not dissatisfied. The bar on the weekend was a fun social place where some singles go to mingle, but not a "pick up joint".

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Great food! The wine menu is great too. I recommend this place to any foodie.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

We started with the charcuterie plate-the big one. There were samples of everything they make and all was delicious. How can you miss with 4 kinds of bacon? The pickled cauliflower (with a little anise?)
Everyone loved their entrees. The wahoo was perfectly cooked and seasoned just right. Fried chicken was moist and fried in lard so absolutely delicious. The steak was great too. I loved all the combinations of flavors.
What ever you do don't miss dessert. The home made root beer in the root beer flat is heaven in a glass. We also had s'mores with smoked chocolate ice cream-soo good!.

How many variations can you say of yum, delicious and wonderful? These would all apply to Monarch!
Reasonably priced for the quality of food.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

First visit and we were not impressed. Draught beer wasn't very cold, lemon martini came with crushed ice and too much sugar, hummus appetizer was served with burnt pita bread (too bad because the hummus was good). We decided to cut our losses and didn't attempt the salad or main course

Reviewed February 9, 2012

I visited Monarch with my mother who has a good palate. I had purchased a groupon because I had wanted to try the restaurant but because of mixed reviews wanted to not feel bad if I didn't love it. The restaurant itself has nice ambiance and our service was good. The bread that came out didn't taste very fresh. We were the only people in the restaurant for an early dinner so perhaps they just hadn't baked any fresh. We decided on the wild boar ribs appetizer based on the waitress's recommendation. It came out lukewarm, was a bit oversalted, and we found it to be VERY grisly and greasy. I've had wild boar several times that was to die for; this I would never order again. Mom had the scallops. They were unremarkable and served lukewarm, again, which was disappointing considering again that the restaurant was nearly empty. I do have to say the skate I ordered was the highlight of the meal--seasoned well and cooked well. We ended up sharing my entree because it was a lot better than hers. We ordered the bread pudding to share again based on the waitress's recommendation and it was fine, but not as good as we've had at several of our favorite restaurants in the south. It was actually a little dry but did have a good sauce that made it more moist. I was glad to have tried it but wished I had liked it more. DH is a huge cajun fan so I loved the idea of upscale cajun, but my expectations weren't met. Given that I had a groupon, I wasn't that upset, but I won't eat here again at regular menu prices. I wouldn't even use another groupon.