“Great place for heirloom seeds”

Bakersville Pioneer Village
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Mt Propsect IL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great place for heirloom seeds”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The village was not really operating when we visited, but the selection and knowledge of heirloom seeds was extensive. A bit hard to find.

Visited March 2014

Mountain View, Missouri, United States
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Step Back in Time”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a great visit and lunch at Bakersville Pioneer Village. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were curious about this place and decided to find out for ourselves. I don't have a lot of interest in "heritage seeds", but the seed store was interesting. Hand made products in the store were fascinating. And the food was delicious. The place is simple, out-of-the-way, but authentic.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Larry D
Springfield, Missouri
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A Must Stop and See for Anyone Visiting Along the Route 60 Corridor”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I LOVE Bakersville Pioneer Village. The family that owns it are simply awesome. Twice a year they put on amazing festivals: Early May is the Planting Festival and Early August is the Harvest Festival. Each event draws thousands of people for lectures, craftsmen booths, music, and a day of fun.

Throughout the year, Bakersville usually has a one day mini festival around the first of each month.

They are THE PLACE to purchase heirloom seeds including both vegetable and flower seed.

The gardens are beautiful and the shops filled with interesting finds.

I try my best to get there three of four times a year. I'm never disappointed. And, make sure you get there for lunch. Lunch is served on a honor donation basis. Where else can you go and pay for lunch what you think it's worth.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Linda M
St. Louis, Missouri
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Perfect supplement to any LIW tour”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After many years of wanting to visit Laura Ingalls Wilder’s home and museum, I finally planned and took a trip there with my 7-year-old daughter last month. I was so happy to discover that there is another attraction in the area, the Baker Creek Seed Company, and its Bakersville Pioneer Village.
There are plenty of signs to guide you there from Mansfield. Once we turned off Highway 5, it was a bumpy, but beautiful, drive. Rolling tree-covered hills as far as you could see. It must be spectacular in the fall. I’ve lived in Missouri all my life, and don’t think I’ve ever seen a prettier area of the state.
Gorgeous sunflowers welcomed us just outside the farm. We parked, and walked about 100 feet or so to the village entrance. Once we passed under the big “Bakersville” sign, I felt like we’d been transported to the TV version Walnut Grove, but much prettier because colorful flowers are everywhere. There’s Harriet’s Mercantile, a restaurant, a blacksmith building, and a few other buildings. Water ran through a flume to a wood water mill, then into a pond with koi fish. A covered wagon sat in a shed.
The lights were out in the buildings, but the doors were unlocked, and we walked into the buildings and poked around. The mercantile had historical items on the shelves (just for show), but there were also items such as homemade jelly, and hard candy for sale. The flour mill building had adorable sunbonnets and Laura Ingalls-inspired dresses, plus books about 19th Century life, for sale. I understood that we were to pay for any items in the seed company building.
We’re vegetarians, but we unfortunately didn’t time our visit right to have lunch there.
I must add that in the center of the village, there is a tiled courtyard filled with all kinds of flowers. It was spectacular.
The seed building had every kind of heirloom seed a gardener could want. Since I don’t garden, I bought just a few packets to give to others as gifts.
Gardening tools, and a big selection of gardening and cookbooks were also for sale. In the seed building, we found the best selection of sunbonnets we’d seen, at a price lower than I saw anywhere else.
We spent an hour and a half at the seed company and village, which includes the drive from and back to Highway 5.
It’s the perfect supplement to any LIW tour. At the LIW home and museum, you see where the Little House books were created, and see items mentioned in the books. At the seed company and village, you can buy historic seeds, and see a re-created version of the towns where Laura lived. Both my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Visited July 2013
7 Thank eskiedogs
Springfield, Missouri, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun afternoon for all!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived in time for lunch at the restaurant, which is on a donation basis. There is not a menu; they serve you the meal of the day. It was delicious!! The vegetables are grown in their gardens, and the meal is vegetarian. I am not vegetarian, and neither is anyone else that was with us, but we all agreed that it was worth returning for!! (I will say that it is definitely not gluten free.) The village was very interesting for adults and children alike.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Sarah D

Been to Bakersville Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!