“Christmas at Laura's House”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Laura's Angles hosted a holiday open house at Laura's home at Rocky Ridge. They served refreshments from Laura's cookbook that is for sale in the gift shop. The best part of the day was the photos in front of the fireplace. Plans are already underway for next year.

3  Thank Sheri65704

Reviewed October 4, 2010

I can't believe I finally got here! Seeing the home and museum was everything I hoped for. The memorabilia they have is amazing - not only Pa's fiddle, but Pa & Ma's wedding certificate, Laura's teaching certificate, her name cards that she got in Little Town on The Prairie, the little china trinket box she got for Christmas in the Banks of Plum Creek(!), the sewing box made of cigars, the lap desk, the plate she saved from the set Almanzo got her early in their marriage, and so much more. Actually seeing the farm house and the rock house was so special, both of the houses are so nice. The Association does an excellent job of maintaining the properties and the museum. I will always remember this wonderful experience!!

4  Thank cherriej
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Enjoyed touring the originial house and also the rock house. The museum is interesting especially if you are a fan of Little House and Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Also had a video and gift shop on premises. Had a fun time although when large group came in felt our 4 person group got "dropped" - had to ask to see video - "forgot" us. But personnel were very nice. But be sure and ask if you think you haven't gotten to see everything.

1  Thank greenwel
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was the second time I visited and enjoyed it very much! The tour guides of the houses were very knowledgeable and friendly. The view is beautiful and my friend and I enjoyed a picnic lunch at the Rock House, where there were picnic tables. Thanks for the great day!

2  Thank lrat1941
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We are a well traveled family and have seen many areas of the country and numerous attractions and museums. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum is one of the best we have seen probably because it is “real and true.” Obviously, we are familiar with Laura Ingalls Wilder as we have every book and “then some” in our house. My Wife and 10 year old daughter have read every book. They loved the museum and house as did I. My 13 year old did too. From my view point, this museum is of national significance and needs much, much more visibility. It is a major historical landmark and is as American as apple pie. It represents the true story of the American dream! We can still learn from the way they lived their lives over 100 years ago (hard work, honesty, persistence through adversity, etc). In Laura’s and Almanzo’s case, they were very successful without the books. But, it was from the books that Laura was successful sharing their story, thus leaving us with a true appreciation of her life.

We need to make sure that this historic home site is preserved for generations to come.

4  Thank airlinefamily36