“A Must See if Traveling in the Missouri Ozarks”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Ava, Missouri
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A Must See if Traveling in the Missouri Ozarks”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

It is a wonderful outing. If you grew up on the 'Little House on the Prairie' books like I did, or watched the TV series, you'll really appreciate going through Laura's homes. Almanzo built the main house for Laura and Rose had the rock house built for them. I ended up moving to the general area and wouldn't have if it wasn't for knowing Laura had been in Mansfield and checking the Mo Ozark area out because of it. I do wish we could go back to the times like they lived.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank CrabbyCat

Detroit, Michigan
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Delightful Surprise”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

After a very bad start--the bathrooms at the parking lot were abissmal and put me in a bad mood--things got considerably better. I found the farmhouse charming; I was quite taken with all the special elements, distinctive personal touches. It was sweet. The stone house is a perfect example of a family transitioning upwards socially. Rose thought she was doing a terrific thing, and she was. But, quite apart of the guide's inability to understand, I had no problem understanding why Laura and Almanzo would move back to the house they had built. We read two LIW book's aloud on the remainder of our trip. I was happy we stopped.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank zullsandraf
Keystone, South Dakota
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fabulous! From a lifelong Laura Ingalls Wilder fan!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was enchanted by being at the home of Laura and Almanzo Wilder!! I have been a fan of Mrs. Wilder since I was a young girl and I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of seeing the Wilder homes in Missouri! The tour guide was fantastic!! She knew so much about the Wilders and really seemed to love them as much as I do! They have done a lovely job of maintaining their two residences and of displaying all of their possessions in the small museum. I was delighted to be there!! Thank you!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank DHtraveler318
Roanoke, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Historical without boredom”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

A great place to see an intact and well preserved farm house from America's past. Even if not acquainted with Wilder's stories, it offers a glimpse into what the lives of people from this era were like. Since they have been listening to the stories and reading the books, my 7 and 11 year old daughters were thoroughly intrigued by this attraction. It was very pleasant to visit a place which held the attention of my younger daughters as well as that of my 19 year old daughter. My husband and I also enjoyed this attraction very much, and after leaving here, we reminisced about our families' pasts.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Angela J
Monroe, New York
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A Must See for Laura Ingalls Wilder fans!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was a great place to visit for Laura Ingalls Wilder fans and even those who are not necessarily fans (like me). My sister appreciated it for the artifacts, photos, etc. of Laura and her family. I appreciated it for the historical aspect and the well preserved furniture, dishes, and personal items. The guides are very informative and the museum is packed with letters, photos, news clippings, etc. about/belonging to Laura and her family. Make sure to drive around the corner and visit the Rock House which was built with "modern" conveniences of the time. You'll want to devote half the day to really see everything in the museum and both houses. This is a fantastic historical trip - whether you're a Little House fan or not.

Visited August 2013