“A must see for her fans.”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have wanted to see where Laura lived since I was a girl and I finally got to the area. Sadly, we got there late in the day and only had time to see the farm house and not the stone house. The museum was nice with Pa's fiddle being the star attraction, it was nice to see so many items mentioned in the books really exist. The tour of the house is short but that's because it's a small place. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and was able to answer questions. The house is adorable and tiny, I only wish we could take a peek upstairs.

The gift shop is nice and carried some books you don't normally find. Be warned, it all closes at 5 with the last tours leaving at 4:30. If you want to see both houses you need to get there even earlier. Call before you go for updated details on tour hours.

2  Thank Stephanie P
in 8 reviews
"on display"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Like many girls, I grew up with Laura, reading her excellent books until the covers fell off. It was a special experience to see her beloved Rocky Ridge Farm, where she lived most of her adult years after moving so often as a child. The museum attached to the house had numerous family photos and items. The house itself did not disappoint. It was exactly the kind of farm home I expected to find, warm and cozy. Although this visit was for my benefit, I noticed that my husband and son found the house and museum almost as interesting as I did.

2  Thank Photobug4727
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My 8-year-old and I are huge fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and decided to make the trip to see the home where they were written. I left my younger two at home with my husband and I'm glad I did - if you haven't read the books or aren't that interested in them, this would be a boring waste of a few hours. However, if you know the books, you'll see a lot of photos, letters and other articles that Mrs. Wilder wrote about in her series. Pa's fiddle, unpublished photographs, the bread plate that survived the fire, the name cards...it's all there in the museum and it's so cool!

A few things you should know:

*Mansfield is truly in the middle of nowhere. The Wilder home/museum do take credit cards, but most other businesses in town do NOT. Bring cash.

*The staff at the museum and home are very friendly, but they run this place differently than other historical sites or museums. There is no set schedule for tours of either of the homes or the movie that's shown. When a big enough crowd shows up, they start the movie and a tour. If there are *too* many people, they'll give you a (very informative) brochure and let you wander the homes yourself. - And the homes are very well preserved/beautiful to look at (Laura's rocking chair! Her writing desk! Even her glasses!); however, the museum, while well-organized, is a bit shabby. They are in need of funds to re-vamp the place.

*NO PHOTOGRAPHY of ANY KIND is allowed inside either of the homes, the museum or the gift shop. They do offer very nice postcards of everything from the interior of the homes to well-known Laura artifacts for .25 apiece in the gift shop - but don't go thinking you'll get a shot of yourself standing next to Pa's fiddle or one of Laura's dresses.

*No food is available here and there's not much around the area. Eat before you come or pack a snack. There are picnic tables across the street in the parking area where you can sit and eat. There are some restaurants in Mansfield (I have reviews!), but it's slim pickings.

*Plan on about an hour in the museum and another hour or two for the house tours.

*The walkway between Laura's house and the rock house was unusable when we where there on July 3. Visitors had to drive to see the rock house (very short distance).

*The sweet lady who runs the museum (I think her last name is Cody - wish I could remember) has MET Laura Ingalls Wilder! Be sure to ask her about Laura! She is usually the one sitting at the front desk taking admission fees and handing out brochures. :-)

*The staff members are very protective of the homes/museum and can come off as brusque; however, if you ask them questions or show an interest in the items/Laura's life, they light up and will talk your ear off. Approach them and ask questions - they love it. :)

3  Thank infamousmare
Reviewed June 26, 2013

If you're a Little House fan, this is the place for you. This is the house that Laura and Almonzo built and lived and died in. The museum has the most treasures from the Ingalls and Wilder families, including Pa's fiddle!! This was well worth the trip!

1  Thank kerirohde
See more reviews
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have always wanted to see Laura and Almanzo's house in Missouri. On a recent trip to Branson, we drove over to Mansfield which was about a 90 min. drive. The farm house Laura and her husband built is available for tours. Connected to it is a museum building with many of the original artifacts mentioned in her books including Pa's fiddle, etc. It was a WOW moment for me. I would give yourself about an hour to go through the museum to see the items and read the articles and info. They took a group at a time to tour the house and no photos are allowed inside but the postcards do show the rooms. The clock Almanzo gave Laura is in there, her writing desk and so much more. That tour and a video in another building took about 30 minutes. You can walk the grounds and take photos. Then there's a gift shop to browse. You then drive about 5 min. away to see the rock house which they lived in for 8 years. This was a gift to them from their daughter Rose and it's also fascinating to see. This tour was about 20 min. and then we drove 5 min. back to town to the cemetery to see their graves. There's not many places to eat in town and since we were heading back to Arkansas we ate in Ava which has the typical fast food places for a quick lunch.

2  Thank BushkaTexas