Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Second VIsit. Worth the Trip. Just off 60.

This is our second stop of the Ingalls home. This time we visited the graves of Laura and her... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
hd452016
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Great detour

This place was definitely worth a visit. Your first stop should be at the visitor center to see... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
shnpan
Birmingham, Alabama

All reviews rock house pa's fiddle her parents rocky ridge gift shop tv series laura ingalls wilder house tour home tour their lives guided tour short video family photos passed away self guided walnut grove on display
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just disappointed in what we saw - it seemed to be primarily gift shop and book store. We thought there would be more of the home.

5  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nothing special. Nothing out of the ordinary. Well kept, clean. Glad we didn't go our of our way. We stopped because we were in the area for other reasons.

2  Thank Corkie S
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have wanted to visit the Rocky Ridge farmhouse for many years, and my DH did not even roll his eyes when I said I wanted to make said trip for our first anniversy. The house and museum are a bit difficult to find, google maps took us on quite the circuitous route. There is parking across the street and handicapped parking near the museum. Restroom facilities are near the parking area; these are not quite an outhouse but are decidedly primitive. Tickets are $8 for adults, which I thought reasonable; they included a tour of the Rocky Ridge Farmhouse, The Rock House (you have to drive to see this one, or it is a hike along a busy road so I recommend the former), and the museum. The house is like stepping back in time and anyone who has read Laura's accounts of her farmhouse which she wrote for the local newspaper will recognize the layout and some of the items. The museum was my favorite part, this was not part of the tour but an area which you view on your own time. The museum assistant, Vicki, was extremely knowledgable and answered all my questions about Laura and her family. Although the museum is small all items have been authenticated. It was a true thrill to see so many of the items described in the Little House books: Pa's fiddle, Mary's beadwork, Laura's jewelbox, even Laura's revolver! It was so difficult to leave, I could have stayed there for hours! My husband really enjoyed the Rock House. This was built by Rose (Laura and Almanzo's daughter) in 1928. Anyone who enjoys seeing Sears and Roebuck houses will particularly like this part of the tour. The house was considered very modern and the time it was built: it was one of the first houses in the area to have both electricity and a bathroom. This is also the house where the first four Little House books were written. I agree with the reviewer who said that this attraction is only mildly interesting if you are not a big LH fan, but for the true fan this was an amazing experience. I cannot wait to return!

4  Thank Aimee S
Reviewed October 6, 2012

On the same day we visited Wilson's Creek (Civil War Battlefield), I happened to see the brochure for the house. My girlfriend is a huge fan of the books, and I knew about the Ingalls' family from the 70's television series. I'm sure they took some liberties,however, this was much better then TV. Both Laura and Almanzo were remarkable people. Almost everything is as Laura left it when she died. Almanzo built and made a lot of things. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and seemed to love doing what she does. The museum was great. Pa's fiddle is there, as well as a few dresses that Laura wore. I enjoyed it, but my girlfriend really enjoyed it. Highly recommend.

1  Thank wolverine7581
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My friend and I went to the museum on their special event called "Wilder Day." The weather was uncooperative, so the festival and special events were subdued. However, we toured the main house on Rocky Ridge farm, the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, and the bookstore. Down the road a bit is another house where Laura and Almanzo lived for several years.

If you are a woman who grew up in the 1970s, you know that Little House on the Prairie was very popular. My friend and I were crazy about the books as school age girls and it was thrilling to see items mentioned in the books, including the bread tray that survived the house fire and bits of lace and handmade needlework and sewing. There are many photos of the family also, but if you have been a fan, you have probably seen them all already. It's nice to see them in person. You can also find out about Laura's career as a writer for a rural Missouri newspaper. It was interesting to learn of the life of Laura and Almanzo's daughter Rose.

If you weren't a fan, this site may not be so exciting, as another reviewer said.

The Wilder Day event included a fiddler playing "Pa's fiddle" (they included the quotes in the description, and I'm not sure what they mean - was it *really* Pa's fiddle, or one just like it? I don't know.) The actress who played "Miss Beadle" in the TV series was there to sign autographs. There were lots of women and girls dressed in period clothing, which was adorable. There was supposed to be a street festival, a parade, and an outdoor performance, but the weather canceled these events.

Mansfield itself is an incredibly small town without many amenities. Few restaurants or hotels. We stayed in Springfield, about a half hour drive away.

4  Thank rikrax