“See artifacts from the "Little House" Books!”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My friend and I went to the museum on their special event called "Wilder Day." The weather was uncooperative, so the festival and special events were subdued. However, we toured the main house on Rocky Ridge farm, the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, and the bookstore. Down the road a bit is another house where Laura and Almanzo lived for several years.

If you are a woman who grew up in the 1970s, you know that Little House on the Prairie was very popular. My friend and I were crazy about the books as school age girls and it was thrilling to see items mentioned in the books, including the bread tray that survived the house fire and bits of lace and handmade needlework and sewing. There are many photos of the family also, but if you have been a fan, you have probably seen them all already. It's nice to see them in person. You can also find out about Laura's career as a writer for a rural Missouri newspaper. It was interesting to learn of the life of Laura and Almanzo's daughter Rose.

If you weren't a fan, this site may not be so exciting, as another reviewer said.

The Wilder Day event included a fiddler playing "Pa's fiddle" (they included the quotes in the description, and I'm not sure what they mean - was it *really* Pa's fiddle, or one just like it? I don't know.) The actress who played "Miss Beadle" in the TV series was there to sign autographs. There were lots of women and girls dressed in period clothing, which was adorable. There was supposed to be a street festival, a parade, and an outdoor performance, but the weather canceled these events.

Mansfield itself is an incredibly small town without many amenities. Few restaurants or hotels. We stayed in Springfield, about a half hour drive away.

4  Thank rikrax

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family (parents + 3 school-aged daughters) visited in July 2012. If you were not a big fan of Mrs. Wilder and her writing, the museum would be only mildly interesting as it is not a huge place and the displays are not flashy. However, to a real fan, it was very interesting to see some of the items one reads about in The Little House books.

The Wilders' house looks just as it probably looked nicely cleaned up the last day Mrs. Wilder was there. It was kind of like visiting your grandmother's house. In addition, we drove to the Wilders' temporary house about 1/4 mile away and found it interesting to imagine the Wilders living there instead of in their beloved farmhouse. It also gave an inside view to the relationship between Rose Wilder Lane and her parents.

The price for the museum/tour was a little steep, but for a once-in-a-lifetime visit to see the home of a childhood hero, it was fine.

1  Thank ArizonaKatie
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We really enjoyed our girlfriend time, left the kids (even the older ones) at home and we took our time, soaking in all the history. I never read the books but only saw the TV show which in itself intrigued me to know more when I not too long ago realized it was not fiction. I would say this is very interesting for anyone interested in the Little House on the Prairie even a little or to anyone who appreciates history. The tour guides for the brief tours of the insides of both homes were very informative (we did one twice in order to take it all in) and the museum were very interesting. This made me really want to read the books. We were probably there for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Although the weather didn't cooperate (rained the whole time!), our 10 year old daughter and her parents had a wonderful visit. The museum and home were very interesting and historically factual. We also were privileged to view a musical play production put on for the Wilder Days Festival by a group called Laura's Memories. This was awesome as well. Really nice. If you have an interest in Laura, I strongly encourage you to visit.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The quiteness that it offered. It was like Mrs Wilder was away at a neighbor and would return soon. was nice a place that was not changed in any way. Kudos to the folks that take care of this historic place. My entire family loved it.

1  Thank Ricky S