Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Going back in time ...

If you like Laura Ingalls Wilder you must visit this museum and home. The staff and tour guides are... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
EKG1226
Saint Louis, Missouri
via mobile
Five Stars but...

Let me start by saying that I have been a LIW fan for as long as I can remember. And for nearly... read more

Reviewed October 27, 2018
wmurkve
via mobile

All reviews rock house pa's fiddle rocky ridge her parents gift shop laura ingalls wilder tv series home tour house tour guided tour original house their lives short film passed away family photos self guided walnut grove
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family (parents + 3 school-aged daughters) visited in July 2012. If you were not a big fan of Mrs. Wilder and her writing, the museum would be only mildly interesting as it is not a huge place and the displays are not flashy. However, to a real fan, it was very interesting to see some of the items one reads about in The Little House books.

The Wilders' house looks just as it probably looked nicely cleaned up the last day Mrs. Wilder was there. It was kind of like visiting your grandmother's house. In addition, we drove to the Wilders' temporary house about 1/4 mile away and found it interesting to imagine the Wilders living there instead of in their beloved farmhouse. It also gave an inside view to the relationship between Rose Wilder Lane and her parents.

The price for the museum/tour was a little steep, but for a once-in-a-lifetime visit to see the home of a childhood hero, it was fine.

Date of experience: July 2012
1  Thank Simone R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We really enjoyed our girlfriend time, left the kids (even the older ones) at home and we took our time, soaking in all the history. I never read the books but only saw the TV show which in itself intrigued me to know more when I not too long ago realized it was not fiction. I would say this is very interesting for anyone interested in the Little House on the Prairie even a little or to anyone who appreciates history. The tour guides for the brief tours of the insides of both homes were very informative (we did one twice in order to take it all in) and the museum were very interesting. This made me really want to read the books. We were probably there for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

Date of experience: August 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Although the weather didn't cooperate (rained the whole time!), our 10 year old daughter and her parents had a wonderful visit. The museum and home were very interesting and historically factual. We also were privileged to view a musical play production put on for the Wilder Days Festival by a group called Laura's Memories. This was awesome as well. Really nice. If you have an interest in Laura, I strongly encourage you to visit.

Date of experience: September 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The quiteness that it offered. It was like Mrs Wilder was away at a neighbor and would return soon. was nice a place that was not changed in any way. Kudos to the folks that take care of this historic place. My entire family loved it.

1  Thank Ricky S
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife was very impressed with me when I agreed to stop here when we were passing through. I definitely earned some extra points that day. I actually thought it was interesting and she loved it.

1  Thank Stan E