“Inexpensive food and finger lickin' good”
Review of Apple Basket

Apple Basket
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Macon
Cuisines: American
Description: Ashley's Apple Basket Cafe is located in historic downtown Macon, MO. We serve home cooked food, made from scratch when you order.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have eaten a number of times at this local restaurant in Macon and have never been disappointed. The breaded tenderloin is probably the best tenderloin I have ever had.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We went to this restaurant based on the good reviews, but we weren't overly impressed. The prices were very good, but our food was just average. I ordered a cheese and bacon baked potato with my meal, and the potato came out with a paper wrapper inside it, which I almost ate. The bacon seemed like the kind that comes out of a jar, and it did not taste very good. The rest of my food was okay. If I'm in town again, I will probably try somewhere else before returning.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I highly suggest going on Friday nights because they usually have a well priced steak and salad bar special. Service has always been great. Prices are very reasonable. We've held several parties and gatherings there. Parking can be tough but that's just because it is downtown. Very good menu. Can't remember them getting an order wrong. Kids like being in the back room where they have space to play. Never had anything from the menu I couldn't recommend.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great food, prompt service and very good prices! How refreshing compared to the corporate chain casual dining choices!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I've had lunch at the Apple Basket 5 or 6 times. Today it lived up to its reputation and my experiences. Two of us had reubens (my personal bias is that if it is misspelled on the menu, it is probably a very good reuben was borne out). The onion rings were a surprise---not the frozen pre-made kind. One had the hamburger steak with mushroom sauce special. She pronounced the carrots as done "just right" and cleaned her plate. One had chicken livers with sweet potato as one of the sides and cleaned his plate.

A specialty of the cafe is the stuffed sweet potato (brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and pecans for $3.99. It's a real treat if you can justify it within your diet! The menu has a good selection of salads, standard diner style sandwiches and dinner plates, a couple of daily soup selections, and desserts.

The service is prompt, friendly and accurate. This is a cafe for townsfolk and savvy travelers. Get off 63 and into downtown at 215 N. Rollins St. for a pleasant, tasty meal in an atmosphere for eating with friends and family without having to yell over music, sports TVs or other customers.

Closed on Sunday.