“Retro 70s motel experience”
Review of River's Edge Motel

River's Edge Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Louisiana
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Let me say at the outset that I prefer to stay in B&Bs, but I do enjoy a unique experience and that is why I opted to stay at the River's Edge motel for my recent one-night stay in the lovely little river town of Louisiana, MO. (Also, the Eagle's Nest was booked up and I was not yet aware of the Applegate B&B.)

The thing I liked most about River's Edge was the fact that it recreated the experience of my family vacations as a kid in the 1970s, when we always stayed in motels. The exterior still has that 70s flair, just like I remember. The room we stayed in has been redecorated and brought up to date, as you will see from the photos I've posted. I was surprised to see elegant window treatments, for example, and the room was painted in very pleasant earth tones, not the old boring traditional off-white one might expect. The parking lot and grounds were perfectly clean and immaculate, and the room was clean enough. One important update to the motel is that they have electronic key cards to access the rooms, not metal keys like in the old days.

The motel has two long buildings, parallel to each other but perpendicular to the river. This means that only the rooms on the very end of each building will have views looking directly east, at the river. The doors to all other rooms face south. You can see the river from the other rooms, although you'll have to look hard to the left. But hey, let's face it, most people will be staying here just for the night, and you can't see the river after it gets dark anyway. There is a train track between the hotel and the river, and it does sound its horn as it goes through Louisiana.

Other notable factors: the bed was new and comfortable, and not in the least bit "scooped" as motel beds can sometimes be. There was a coffemaker and free coffee in the room. A nice element considering the fact that this is a budget motel.

The biggest downside is that the place seems to have suffered from the lack of a handyman to do some basic fixes. Our stay was not diminished as a result, I think it is fair to mention the things I noticed that needed repair:

1) The baseboard heaters were falling off the walls in places, and in our room part of the mechanism was completely exposed for lack of a face plate. (see photo)

2) The front door knob was loose. It felt like it might come right off in my hand.

3) The deadbolt to the door wasn't quite lined up with the door jam and was hard to set. Once set, it was just as difficult to release. My traveling partner succeeded in opening the door when he threw his shoulder up against it. It wouldn't surprise me if the doorknob was so loose because of the deadbolt problem... people pulling on it too hard in an effort to get out.

4) The bathroom window lock had lost a screw and was hanging off the window frame. There was a PVC pipe cut to size, set inside the opposite window to keep the broken-lock window from being opened from the outside.

5) The room's refrigerator needed a new rubber seal and it could not hold the cold in very well.

We stayed on a cool spring night and it got cold in our room. The thermostat above the bed didn't have an off/on button; it had only a temperature setting. We set it to 90 degrees but the heat never turned on. The next morning when we asked about it, the management said that the thermostat doesn't control the heat, rather, the unit which appeared to be an air conditioner did.

In spite of the heater mixup, the management did seem to take care to explain things as well as possible before we checked in. For example, the desk attendant an example tub faucet and actually demonstrated to use how to flip the lever to change the water from the tub faucet to the shower.

Yes, there were things that could have been in better repair, but what do you expect for $56? All in all, aside from worrying if we'd be able to operate the deadbolt if we needed to exit in a hurry (as in to escape a fire) I liked having the chance to stay in this hotel and I hope the management attends to the little things in order to make things in tip-top shape again.

For those who like to travel on the cheap, I recommend taking a picnic lunch/dinner about four blocks away to Riverview Park. Up on the hilltop there are picnic tables and you can watch the railroad bridge open and close to let barges go by while you eat. If you want to grab an inexpensive breakfast at a place with the same retro panache as the River's Edge Motel, head south about seven blocks to Daybreak Donuts. They are only open in the mornings, so don't be late! They make their own donuts and the place smells heavenly. It's a small place - only about four tables fit inside, and it has a genuine retro "diner" feel to it. Poke your head in and look at the menu. If you want something more upscale, the Eagle's Nest Bistro is open for breakfast too, but it will set you back about $10 per person.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MildManneredTraveler

Reviewed November 11, 2008

This is a great little motel! Nothing really fancy, definitely not a chain, but the people that run it are very nice and the room was very clean. Plus it had a refrigerator and microwave - and - we had the room on the end with 2 windows looking out at the Mississippi River. It was a little noisy at night (barges, trains, hiway) with both windows open but the river and the train are part of the ambiance. All this for a very reasonable price (~$60).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Louisiana
Best Western On The River
#5 of 10 in Hannibal
Motel 6 Hannibal
Motel 6 Hannibal
#8 of 10 in Hannibal

Been to River's Edge Motel? Share your experiences!