“Fun place, smoking section might be an issue”

Lone Jack Family Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Lone Jack
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We pulled into this place on a whim. It looked kind of folksy and we thought it might be fun to give it a go. I was surprised by the smoking section and yes, the smoke was not just limited to that section. It's an open doorway, so the best way to avoid the smoke is to sit as FAAAAR away as possible from the smoking section. (Which we did.) Seated at the far corner, we didn't smell it anymore. I think what helped is that we were there during a non-peak hour. Sure, there were patrons, but it wasn't jam packed. I wouldn't want to come to this Cafe when it was full.

The food was nice! Affordable and tasty. We are ovo-lacto vegetarians, so we had the egg salad sandwich, which was yummy!

The place is very down-to-earth. While shoes and a shirt are obviously required, you shouldn't worry about dressing up. It's not that kind of place.

The waitress was very friendly and efficient. I have no complaints, other than I wouldn't want to go when it's too busy, due to the smoking section. If you have kids or people that are extra sensitive to smoke, you might want to give this a pass. We don't smoke and don't like the smell, but being seated far away from the source of smoke seemed to be enough for us.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The servers were very pleasant and the food was very good. We will definately go back soon. Nice clean place. Prices very good.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I were delighted when the 50 Roadside Cafe reopened under new management after having closed for a time. We went for supper not long after its reopening, and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the newly fixed-up cafe. I like to do local stuff--if there's any way I can support the community with my business, I will. We were so pleased with the clean, spiffed up place and the good quality food, that we arranged to meet some friends who live beyond Lone Jack for a Saturday breakfast. It's just nice to have a place to do that.

But then we went for a late lunch on the Thursday before that breakfast "date". When we walked in, the stench of stale smoke hit us in the face. (The smoking area, a separate-but- not-separated room, is just to the left as you go in--no door, just an open doorway, and clearly not enough ventilation to the outside.) We chose to sit as far away from that smoking area as possible, but still the smoke smell was pervasive.

We ate. The food we ordered was delicious. If we hadn't felt like we were eating from an ashtray, we would have loved the meal. It was tasty, well cooked--all the right stuff. But the smoke smell was just too much.

We cancelled our plans to breakfast with our friends. We'd been telling folks how good the place was, but we are back-pedaling now. I hate it. As I said, like to support local business. These folks are really trying, really putting out great food,and giving excellent table service. But oh me, oh my, the stench.

On the other hand, if you're a smoker, I guess you won't mind, right? If you're a smoker, there's nothing not to like!

Reviewed July 14, 2011

We love this place! Great food for any meal...tasty breakfasts all the time, huge hand pounded tenderloins and all the other favorite diner food. We LOVE their Thursday fried chicken special....great food for a great price! The staff is very friendly; Max is our favorite. Keep in mind that it is a small diner so the chairs are not the greatest, but it's always clean and presentable.