“Call BEFORE You Go !!!!!!”

Lone Jack Battlefield Museum and Soldier's Cemetery
Reviewed October 14, 2009

While planning our recent trip to Missouri and Kansas, my husband told me that he wanted to visit some Civil War sites so I found Lone Jack Battlefield. The plan was to drive approx. 35 minutes to Lone Jack from Independence and then back to Independence where we would be spending the night. It was a Sunday afternoon and the museum hours for Sunday are supposed to be 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. That is according to both the website and the AAA guidebook. When we arrived at 3:30 p.m. the museum was already closed !!!!! Looking again at the AAA guidebook I noticed that it said "hours may vary, call ahead" so apparently 1-4 does not necessarily mean 1-4.

Since we had driven all that way we decided to walk around the grounds a bit, but there really isn't much info. that tells you much about it. We did see the small cemetery, but I can't really tell you any history about it.

Supposedly, this was where one of the bloodiest Civil War battles in Missouri occured on August 16, 1862. Unfortunately, it will be one Civil War Battle that will remain unkown to us. If you plan to visit this site I highly suggest that you call ahead for the hours for that day. The phone number can be found on the website.

2  Thank zippy608

Been to Lone Jack Battlefield Museum and Soldier's Cemetery? Share your experiences!