“Small, but worth seeing...”

Lone Jack Battlefield Museum and Soldier's Cemetery
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The Battle of Lone Jack, just southeast of what is now modern day Kansas City, was a fierce little engagement that took place in August, 1862. Missouri and Kansas saw some of the most intense suffering of the Civil War, especially among the civilian population.

The museum at Lone Jack gives a comprehensive and accurate account of the events that led up to the battle, as well as the battle itself. The entire museum is housed in a small, circular one room exhibition, but it is arranged and displayed well.

In addition to the battle artifacts, a considerable effort is devoted to the explanation and accounting of the infamous "Order Number 11", which virtually emptied the Missouri counties of Jackson, Cass, Bates and part of Vernon county in late 1863. Families were run off, men and boys indiscriminately murdered, and wives and small children turned out with nothing but the clothes on their backs. I live in Cass county today, and I'm sure glad that I wasn't around then.

If you're in the Lone Jack area, an hour or so spent here would be well worth your time.

2  Thank larryf1952

Reviewed October 14, 2009

While planning our recent trip to Missouri and Kansas, my husband told me that he wanted to visit some Civil War sites so I found Lone Jack Battlefield. The plan was to drive approx. 35 minutes to Lone Jack from Independence and then back to Independence where we would be spending the night. It was a Sunday afternoon and the museum hours for Sunday are supposed to be 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. That is according to both the website and the AAA guidebook. When we arrived at 3:30 p.m. the museum was already closed !!!!! Looking again at the AAA guidebook I noticed that it said "hours may vary, call ahead" so apparently 1-4 does not necessarily mean 1-4.

Since we had driven all that way we decided to walk around the grounds a bit, but there really isn't much info. that tells you much about it. We did see the small cemetery, but I can't really tell you any history about it.

Supposedly, this was where one of the bloodiest Civil War battles in Missouri occured on August 16, 1862. Unfortunately, it will be one Civil War Battle that will remain unkown to us. If you plan to visit this site I highly suggest that you call ahead for the hours for that day. The phone number can be found on the website.

2  Thank zippy608

Been to Lone Jack Battlefield Museum and Soldier's Cemetery? Share your experiences!