Review Highlights
Lots of fun for kids.

We had a great visit on an off day. There were no lines, but only a few rides. Lots of food... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
MichelleREALTOR
Saint Peters, Missouri
Big surf, relaxing fun

We arrived at 3pm for the discount tickets so were there for 3 hours. That was plenty of time to... read more

Reviewed July 2, 2018
rt12361
Columbia, Missouri
via mobile

All reviews wave pool lazy river half pipe all ages bottled water lifeguards zambezi fun necks
Selected filters
Reviewed August 3, 2017

Let me just come out and say that I absolutely loved this waterpark as a kid. I used to come pretty frequently, and I remember having a blast in both the kid-specific area and the different slides/attractions. Although the number of different rides does appear pretty limited, I always managed to spend hours of fun at BigSurf.
After some years of not visiting BigSurf, of course all that nostalgia buildup made me want to go again. I took about a 2 hour trip there with my girlfriend and entered the gates at 1:00 pm. BigSurf typically attracts the kids, so naturally the park was mainly populated with families. However, there were definitely others on the "older-kid" side of the spectrum (high school/college), so that was pretty comforting for us I guess.
For approximately 40 minutes, we had a blast. We went on The Rapids and Challenger Flumes a few times. Then we decided to spend some time at the Wave Pool, which was actually a lot more fun than anticipated.
And then, right before 2:00 pm, the Waterpark closed due to "imminent severe thunderstorms." Everybody was allowed to redeem a refund or a free pass to come again if they wanted, so that was nice. However, what I didn't really get was what seemed to be a very odd and arguably premature decision to immediately close the park instead of doing the typical "everybody wait for 30 minutes and see what happens." After all, after about a 20 minute drizzle the storm completely passed. I'm happy to at least come away with a full refund, but honestly it's just not worth it for people to drive more than a few hours just for the park to close for the day like this.
Anyways, main takeaway: Fun place, but if the day you're planning to go has a chance of precipitation anything above 0%, best not to chance it.
Or, alternate takeaway for you gamblers: If the day you're planning to go has a chance of precipitation anything above 0%, go pretty early, stick around, and maybe, just maybe, your fun can be expense-free. But you didn't hear it from me.

Date of experience: August 2017
3  Thank Only J
Reviewed July 26, 2017

We were recently in the Ozarks for the first time and finding many activities to do. We had seen BigSurf Waterpark but were hesitant due to the cost- especially since we were already at a condo that had a pool and our daughters were enjoying that just fine. We decided we would surprise them though on our last full day there. We waited until 3pm so the cost was much less, however still fairly spendy. The park closed at 6 so we had 3 hours. The wave pool was a hit but we were disappointed that it turned off for 10 minutes every 10 minutes (Im sure this is a safety reason) and then it was off the whole 30 minutes or so before park close. We did do all the slides and enjoyed the regular ones and the tubes. Both my daughters tried the half-pipe too and had a great time. Overall it was a fun way to cool down and do something different then we are used to.

1  Thank JustYourAverageJoan
Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

We saw some negative reviews so we were hesitant to bring our son and his children to BigSurf Waterpark. They are from the Chicago area and well traveled so a substandard attraction is a disappointment for us. We didn't need to worry because they had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave after five hours! We rented a cabana and had lunch, too. The food was good and the waterpark staff was helpful. We will be back!

Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

I was visiting the Lake of the Ozarks for a week long vacation on the lake with my boyfriend, so for a change of scenery, we decided to try out BigSurf in Osage Beach, but unfortunately, it wasn't worth the experience. Since we are both in college, we arrived at 3:00 PM for their discounted pricing of $19.95/person instead of $31.95.

We began our day in the wave pool. They have cycles of waves and calm water every 10 minutes which is nice for a break since the waves were very vigorous, but fun. On the downside the water in the wave pool was as warm as bath water, so it wasn't very refreshing.

After that, we rode on the u-shaped white slide you can see from the high way. This wasn't like any slide I've ever seen before so I really wanted to give it a try. You can ride this in a tube either alone or with another person. As we got onto the ride, the life guard instructed us to keep our chins tucked into our necks as there is a steep drop and steep incline as you first get on. I followed the instructions from the lifeguard, but as we reached the steep incline, my neck whipped back and cracked, and I had muscle pains days after riding this.

Other than the U-Shaped slide, there are some challenger flumes and a toilet bowl style slide that we rode on that were easy-going but very fun. There is also two kiddy areas that are wonderful for kids. If I was younger, I would have loved to try our their lily-pad obstacle course or the slides. Another feature of the park is a lazy river, but it is extremely slow that you barely move, and you are forced to sit in the tubes at all times.

The ride which I preferred the most a tube slide where you ride down a hill on. Beware of the bottom of this slide though; my boyfriend flipped his tube at the end of this slide and he hit his head very hard at the bottom.

After both of us being hurt (1 star deduct) and there not being enough attractions for the price (1 star deduct), we called it a day after two and a half hours.

Unfortunately as we were leaving, I wanted to use the restroom and the women's room was completely filthy. Wet toilet paper and urine covered the toilets, and every stall I tried to go into and change in had un-flushed #2 in each toilet. (1 star deduct)

Based off of our experience, I probably would never return. If I paid the full price of $31.95, I would be highly furious from this visit.

Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately big surf has consistently upped their pricing without the customer service to match. We went towards the end of last year and were there for less than an hour from open when a storm hit. They gave us rain checks but they were only good for the remaining week they were open. So basically we spent 90 something dollars for a family of four for about 40 minutes of enjoying the park. We expressed concern at the time and even called and spoke to management and they denied honoring them them though they were closing within a couple days. Honestly I'm a GM of a local company. So is my wife. They didn't even try to call us and apologize, something I do whenever something even remotely similar happens in my profession. Just shows a true lack of compassion and it is unfortunate that the management team acts this way.

We were always treated better by the 15 and 16 year old employees which is quite frankly sad.

1  Thank Douglas R