“Not bad but....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Not bad but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've heard from a number of people that the food was really good here. Been here a few times and it has been inconsistent. Sometimes very good and other times just ok. The service has been very good. The last time we were there with friends to discuss a vacation trip. We were seated next to the "live entertainment" with a really bad sound system and not so much talent. We couldn't hear anyone speaking in the restaurant, let alone the people at our table. To borrow a word from another review, it was disappointing. We will probably try again as the Italian restaurant selection in Lee's Summit is dwindling.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

“Not a fan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Monetti's is a lovely little independent Italian restaurant in a strip mall in Lee's Summit. We've tried it a couple of times, but I'm always disappointed with the food. We are Italian and cook our own meatballs and sugo, so I admit I'm picky and not many places can surpass my own cooking preferences -- but tastes are different and I know a lot of people who are regular fans of Monetti's. I know the owner is a true New York Italian transplanted to Lee's Summit and I heard him say he uses his mama's original recipes, so that could be the difference in flavors. But I would definitely say it is authentic Italian cooking in a delightful atmosphere, and worth a try for the novice.

• Visited December 2013
Lees Summit
“The owner is loud and rude.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This first time we ate there the lasagna was amazing. When we went back they served us left over lasagna from the day before and heated it up and it was burned on the bottom. I told the waitress I wanted something else. She explained they just took out a new batch from the oven and would bring me some fresh lasagna.... It was from the same old leftover batch they just put more sauce and cheese on it. Read the reviews on Urbanspoon before you go. We had groupons another time we both ordered calzones and we were sitting by the pizza oven I saw the girl make up mine and put it in the oven. 20 minutes later she took it out and put in my husbands while mine sat on the counter getting cold and soggy. 15 minutes later she takes out my husbands and sends them both over to the table. I complained to the waitress that mine had say on the counter for 15 minutes and was soggy and cold. She tried to tell me it wasn't I told her I wanted to talk to the owner and she took my calzone over to the owner who was standing a few feet away. He grabbed the plate and threw it in the trash giving us a dirty look and walked into the back room. The waitress came over to tell us he was going to make mine again. The owner never came over to speak to us, he is a loud arrogant jerk and does not care about his customers. He loves to tell everyone he is from New York. Save your money and frustrations.

• Visited April 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“Mother's Day Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We tried Monetti's for the first time on Mother's Day. We found out that typically they are closed on Sundays but were open for the special occassion. They accepted a reservation and thankfully for us we had one because when we arrived it was a mad house inside.

The greeter was obviously overwhelmed and our reception was awkward. We were seated in a reasonable amount of time. The inside of the seating area was nicely furnished and decorated. The service was a little slow and we attributed it to the crazy crowd level. Our server was nice and we never had to ask for a refill on our drink.

They were offering an all you care to eat brunch buffet. Everything was warm and variety was spot on. The stars of the buffet was the lasagna and garlic knots. Desert option was only cookies which was slightly dissapointing though they were actually really good cookies.

All things considered our experience was very good. We will come back and order off the menu giving Monetti's another try. Hopefully they won't dissapoint.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I really abhor chains. I do what I can to support independents as much as possible. So, when I ended up in Lee's Summitt and wanted Italian, this seemed to fit the bill. As much as it hurts me to say this, you are much better off at the olive garden.

My salmon was cooked until there was not a drop of moisture left. Worst piece of fish I have had in years. The asperagus that came with it was equally overcooked. A pile of mush. The dinner rolls were mearly adequate. A bit too dense and greasy for my liking.

The only positive is that the service was good, which is the only things that keep me from giving hti s a "terrible" rating

• Visited April 2014