“Be Careful of Soccer Tournaments”

Hampton Inn Kansas City Lee's Summit
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lee's Summit
Jefferson City Missouri
“Be Careful of Soccer Tournaments”
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I am actually writing this review from the Hampton Hotel in Lee's Summit (Room 205). I have stayed in this hotel before. Previously it was pretty standard for this level of accommodation.

I was pleasantly surprised by the current quality of the room in light of recent renovations. Beautifully redecorated - really one of the prettiest rooms I have ever seen at this price point. Hampton is not quite "there yet" but they may be giving Drury Hotels a run for their money in the future. Mini fridge and microwave in each room. The fridge is important to me. I am a litlte put out when I need to ask for a fridge and I am charged for it. Free wireless should be the standard, and Hampton has stepped up to the plate to offer this service. Too bad that other hotels charge for internet access. As a business traveler, the amenities mentioned above are important. They make a significant impact on my hotel choice.

Now for the cons on Hampton Lee's Summit. I am visiting during a summer soccer tournament - in the midst of summer thunderstorms.

I am certain that the "soccer families" received a group reduced price for their rooms. I, on the other hand, am paying a premium price for the room I will ultimately use for three nights. While the rooms are adequately insulated on the inside walls, there are hyped up soccer kids loudly running the halls late into the night.

This hotel has one elevator for three floors. Last night they shut the elevator down because it "over heated" No doubt there were soccer kids running back and forth on the elevator between floors. Have you ever heard of an "over heated" elevator being shut down in a hotel?? Excuse me?

The weather has been inclement (which means soccer games are cancelled or postponed) so the "parental units" have taken to drinking beer and wine and other libations (along with pizza, snacks and other carry out) in the small common area near the lobby - while their progeny run rough shod all over the rest of the property. Meanwhile the meager Hampton staff strives to keep those of us who may actually be back for businees sometime in the future, happy. I saw people trying to check in during this chaos -I felt sorry for the guests who had to try to negotiate an "Animal House" frat house party in order to get to their rooms. What is wrong with these people? Renting a hotel room for the night does not mean you can be loud, obnoxious, and generally rude. I will think long and hard before I choose to stay that his particular Hampton again.

I complained about these issues for three nights. To Hampton's credit, they did comp one night of my stay for the inconvenience.

Before you make reservations at the Hampton in Lee's Summit, Missouri, check to see if there are any teen-age sports tournaments scheduled during your stay. If so, stay ten minutes east in Independence or ten minutes west in Downtown.

Bottom line, this is a nice hotel for business travelers. The staff are as accommodating as they can be. DO NOT stay here during a summer sports tournament.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Midland,Mi.
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Stayed on our trip to Kauffman stadium. This was a great location to get to and from the park (15 min. drive). Is in an area with some great restaurants (Outback, Culvers, Jose Peppers). When checking in , they offered to give me a lower rate than that of my reservation. Room was very new with a desk and mini fridge on the side of the beds instead of the end. Heater/AC unit was very quiet. Pool area was nice as was the breakfast area. Will stay here again if in KC area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Thousand Oaks
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My 16 & 20 year old and myself stayed for two nights. The staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms were beautiful, immaculate and spacious. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable and lush the beds were. The showers had great pressure and temperature. We actually had reservations for the Westin in Kansas City, MO, but switched here because it was closer to where we needed to be. I cannot believe it, but the room at this Hampton Inn was on the same level as the Westins we usually stay at. If we need to be in the area again, we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 4, 2009

My husband's extended family holds a reunion every other year and, since his parents are now residents of the retirement community in John's Knox Village, we chose to have the event in Lee's Summit.

We chose the Hampton Inn based on other reviews we read about the hotel and found that the staff there truly lived up to the praise they've been given. We rented several rooms and used the hotel's meeting room, which worked perfectly for our daily activities. Carmel - the hotel's meeting coordinator was very helpful and we found that every employee we encountered -- receptionists to housekeepers to the man who helped us set up the meeting room -- were all friendly and happy to help solve the task at hand. Since we were from out of town, we also needed recommendations for caterers and restaurants and appreciated Carmel's advice on all of these.

The hotel is very well maintained and I understand they will be undergoing a renovation soon that will upgrade it further. I would recommend it to anyone needing an event location in the Lee's Summit area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Missouri
Reviewed December 3, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past few years. We have family nearby and recently built a home in this area. The decor is dated relative to other Hamptons but they are renovating in 2010! It is a very clean hotel and we have received consistently great service. Amenities such as the free wireless internet and breakfast really work for us. The location is strategically near a major highway. Within walking distance are restaurants for steak, hamburger, mexican, pizza, convenience store and a theatre. A regional hospital is also very close. My parents are also big fans of this hotel. This hotel and its great staff receives 5 stars from us!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed at this hotel based on the reviews here, but was surprised to find the hotel is quite dated. The rooms were old - with dark carpets and bedspreads - nothing like the Hampton Inns you normally expect.

The hotel is convenient with a few restaurants and stores nearby.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lovetotravelhk
KC, MO
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a 90th birthday party/ family reunion. We had family come in from all over the US.
The staff was GREAT at accommodating our large party, they let us use the meeting room for all of us to gather as we arrived at the hotel Friday night before our party (it was at a different location) and Saturday night after our party as well.
Saturday & Sunday mornings they let us gather in the meeting room so we could all have breakfast together.
All the desk clerks and management were VERY friendly and helpful with all of our needs.
This is a great hotel, and a great staff!!
I live in town and would DEFINITELY stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
Super 8 Lees Summit
Super 8 Lees Summit
#7 of 11 in Lee's Summit

Been to Hampton Inn Kansas City Lee's Summit? Share your experiences!