“This is the Worst Place I've Ever Seen”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lebanon
Fort Niangua River Resort
Reviewed September 26, 2008

This was the work place I have ever seen. The cabin was filthy; it smelled rotten, bugs were on the floor and counters, totally disgusting. We left right way, went back to the office and returned the key. We told them we wanted a refund, which they refused since we signed the credit card slip already. Don't stay here!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank heidsterm

Reviewed July 21, 2008

We go camping/canoeing a few times a year and have stayed at quite a few campgrounds in Lebanon. We decided to try Ft. Niangua b/c the trip was a last minute decision and we had a hard time finding 2 RV spots anywhere else. Plus we had 4 kids in our party and Ft. Niangua advertised a pool.

#1 complaint- First of all when I called, I asked for 2 RV spots with shade. The spots we got had no shade what-so-ever. There were spots that did but they were full with people that rent the spots for months at a time. Another thing, the spots were pretty close together, you only had about 8 foot between each trailer at best.

#2 complaint- The web site advertised a nice pool and said nothing otherwise when I called and set up the reservations. When we got there, we went to check out the pool and it was discusting. The water was green and cloudy, looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. I went to the office to ask about it and they told me the pool was closed. There weren't any signs anywhere stating it was closed. Later that day we saw people swimming in it and again the day after and no one bothered to tell them it was closed. The pool was one reason I picked the campgound since we weren't staying near the river.

#3 complaint- The web site clearly states that quiet time is at 11pm and is strictly enforced. Well the first night we stayed they had karaoke at the pavillion, which was advertised on the web site for that night so no problem. They had speakers mounted to the pavillion which shot straight out to the RV spots. The music was very loud and went on well past midnight. Well the 2nd night was the exact same with the music going on until past midnight.

#4 complaint- Bathrooms were O.K. not the worse I have seen but not the best I have seen either. The first stall toilet wouldn't even flush, the 2nd stall didn't have a lock or a latch on the door so you had to hold it shut. The showers were pretty good, had hot water which was a plus but there was visible mold growing on the brick- needed a good power washing in my opinion.
There were no port-a-potties at all in the RV part of the campground so you had to truck it to the main office everytime you needed to go.

The only thing I can say is the tent camping part of the campground was pretty nice, the cabins looked decent and if you got to the shower house before 8am, you had hot water and didn't have to wait very long. It would have been the perfect place to camp if you didn't have any small kids and all you wanted to do was party and drink the whole time.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Lov2Camp
Reviewed June 30, 2007

My wife and I chose Fort Niangua River Resort (FNRR) as a place to primitive camp while spending the weekend fishing, canoeing and hiking at Bennett Spring State Park (BSSP) in Missouri. We chose this spot due to the fact the BSSP campsites were full, and the website of FNRR seemed a nice place to stay with tent camping along the river. We confirmed our "reservation" one week prior to arrival. We are seasoned tent campers/canoers/fisherman, 30-40 years of age and have been through numerous trips, both easy and hard, over the years.

The website speaks of river frontage, of which there is about 60 feet, the rest is woodlands. The 60 feet does provide access to the water, but there is no camping along the river, with the closest spots some 75+ yards away. Upon check-in, we were told where to camp…"follow the road to the big field, and you can camp where-ever you like." This pasture amounted to our "reservation" we later found out. There was no designated spots, or numbered areas for tent camping. No water faucet/drinking water was available, and the bathroom amounted to two port-a-potties for the whole pasture full of folks, which were quite disgusting by Sunday. In fact, if you find the FNRR website and click on the pics, you can see the pasture, and notice the lack of shade trees, other than the woods around the edges.

Also, the pasture is located a ¼ mile from the showers, and up the gravel incline you decend to the camping field. Travel by car is a MUST to and from the showers/enclosed bathroom/general store.

The FNRR website touts “Picnic tables and fire rings are provided”, of which we had a fire ring (a large tire rim, but anything works), however the picnic table was completely rotted, with planks missing and unable to support the weight of a Chihuahua.

Other areas of the website that proved to be false…1)QUIET TIME 11:00
PM STRICTLY ENFORCED-(not a chance – the frat party was continuing well after 1am)…2)No ATV’s or Fireworks are allowed-(I saw three ATV’s on Friday night – which may have been the owners, but in the end, who wants to camp with ATV’s riding around; and there were plenty of fireworks going off on Saturday night. I fact I had to tell the neighbors next to us to aim the roman candle away from our tent at 9:00pm)…3)Ft. Niangua staff is on premises 24 hours a days to insure the security of our guests-(Obviously no one arrived to enforce any rules).

Also, It seemed that the RV section of the park was crammed full of 5th wheels and travel trailers, with maybe 5 feet of distance from each other. It didn’t seem a place to stretch your legs after driving your 5th wheel to FNRR.

My wife and I gave FNRR a chance, but we will never return. If you plan to catch trout at BSSP, and canoe the Niangua River, find someplace else to lay your head at night.

Go Cats