Munger Moss Motel
$65
$55
$79
$41
All reviewsneon signthe mother roadstep back in timebowling alleymom and poproute tripauthentic routeblast from the pasther husbandroute memorabiliarooms are cleanbathroom fixturesold friendsafter a long dayramonabobhistory
Reviewed June 18, 2012

If you're on Route 66 and trying to stay in those few original motels, this is the place to stay. The owners are incredibly friendly and the place is spotless clean. There isn't much to do in town but there's a bowling alley across the street. If you want a true 66 experience the Walmart has a great beer selection and the patio chairs are very comfortable. This is a quiet stay with nice people, comfortable beds, nice bathrooms and everything perfect for a clean original 66 experience. Do not miss!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

On our recent trip along historic Route 66, my partner and I stayed in Lebanon, Missouri, at the famous Munger Moss Motel built in 1946. I wasn't really sure what to expect since this property is more like the motels I am acquainted with. It is quite large with many rooms and a pool (which we did not get a chance to enjoy). Ramona, who owns the place with her husband Bob, was an interesting person who took some getting used to. Once she opened up, though, she was a joy to talk with, and she was willing to share lots of information about Route 66. One snippet that really impressed me had to do with renovation. She said that a television reporter called her a while back and said that she had heard they had just remodeled or renovated the Munger Moss. Ramona said, No, we haven't done that. The reporter was really confused then. What Ramona went on to tell her was that the operative word is "Maintenance", not "renovation." When something needs to be fixed, repaired, or replaced, it gets done. That way the place is always in good shape and ready to accept guests without having to "renovated." Our room was quite large with an air conditioner that worked well. The interesting thing is the air conditioner was in the bath vanity area under the dressing table! Unusual, but it worked great. The Lobby/Office area has a treasure trove of souvenirs and old vintage trains and trucks. We loaded up on souvenirs, including an authenticated brick from old route 66. Now there's a gift for someone who has everything! Take my advice and stay at the Munger Moss when you pass through Lebanon, MO, and be sure to engage Ramona in conversation. You will be glad you did.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank garyallanstewart
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Take a picture of the sign and stay at the chain inn next door. I arrived around 6 and realized the whole town is empty of any excitement. Hoping to at least take a shower and sleep after a long day of travel, I went to my room to find a gross shower liner which was hiding a clearly aged shower floor. The sheets were clean but the entire room smelled heavily of chlorine clearly emanating from the beds. Take in the route 66 ambiance from the highway or road and pass this one by.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stopped at this historic motel while on our weekend 66 trip from Missouri to Oklahoma. We stayed in the Rte. 66 themed room. $55 for the Saturday night. We were offered free tix to Lebanon Raceway. Really nice owners to help out with directions. Ice machine in office to fill up coolers. We sat by the pool, which was nice. It's not the Ritz, with older carpet and room decor. But, it was exactly what I expected.

Room Tip: Rooms 66-69 overlook the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin P
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I decided to stay at Munger Moss Motel due to the historic significants of the motel. I wish I had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. The motel was clean...but the A/C didn't work very well and employee who greeted me at the front desk wasn't super friendly. Like I said the room was clean but not very comfortable. If you're looking for a trip back in time this is your place. Also, there is no where close to each. I had to drive back into town.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo