Munger Moss Motel
$71
$115
Travelocity
$41
All reviewsneon signthe mother roadstep back in timebowling alleymom and poproute tripauthentic routeblast from the pasther husbandroute memorabiliarooms are cleanbathroom fixturesold friendsafter a long dayramonabobhistory
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here on my route 66 adventure, from England. I had done a fair bit of research on accommodation along the route and the history of these accommodations. I saw that The Munger Moss is THE place to stay in the area. When I booked the hotel, speaking to the wonderful owner, Ramona, I knew I had found a real Route 66 gem!

The motel is wonderful! I had the route 66 room, decked out from wall to wall with wonderful old and newer photos of everything to do with Route 66 - and the decor was in keeping with when Route 66 had its heyday. Felt like I was travelling back in time - but in a GREAT way!

Ramona is wonderful and had a couple of long chats with her recounting her experience running the motel with her hubby and the guests she has had (very positive) and history of Route 66.

That sign - wow - its fully renovated and the sign alone is a great reason to stay.

It was the true route 66 experience - absolutely nothing like a boring chain motel. I managed to not stay in any chain motels and staying in these places like The Munger Moss really made my vacation. This place had VIBE! and CLASS!

Thanks for a wonderful stay!

Go on,,,,, book a room, you won't be sorry!

Room Tip: The Route 66 room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank mkellis
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Room was disappointingly dirty. An oily dusty film covered all surfaces, even the night table.. No soap in tiny bathroom, which also smelled bad. Obviously our room had not been maintained in a long time. We were a little creeped out, but it was late, so we stayed. At 630am, a roofing crew began repairs right above our room. Owner's unsympathetic response to complaint was, "They have to work sometime! We've been trying to fix this roof for four months." Hotel could have decided not to rent rooms below where they knew work was being done....but they really did not care. I thought it was odd when they had insisted on payment when we checked in (which suggests the hotel is used by a lot of transients or hookers) but now I understand why - they knew we would not want to pay after staying the night. The neon sign was terrific artifact of older times - look at the sign, but stay down the road..

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be pleasanter
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ScarsdaleMan
Reviewed October 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed here on Sept. 27, 2011 while on our annual Route 66 trip. We have traveled all of the route and many sections numerous times. We always try to stay in the original motels and eat in the mom and pop restaurants. The Munger Moss was a perfect example of one of the original motels that has been extremely well preserved. We stayed in Room 66 and found the accomadations very nice. We especially loved the bathroom with the turquoise/blue tiled walls, coral/pink sink, tub and fixtures and coral mosaic tile a beautiful example of yesteryear. It was also amazingly clean and well kept. I wish it would have been a little warmer as I would have loved to have tried out the pool. We didn't get to meet the owners but they need to be commended for their love and dedication to preserving this beautiful motel. P.S. Also loved the newly restored neon sign!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Doug M
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed here duing our Route 66 honeymoon trip.This motel comes highly recommended and I can see why. The owner Ramona is lovely. Unfortunately we did not get to meet her husband Bob. We stayed in room 66 which was great. Its like stepping back in time, but in a good way! The room is clean and there is WI-FI. We also used the pool, which was welcome on the 100F+ heat. You must stay here if you are travelling Route 66. Awsome.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard T
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Bob and Ramona Lehman have been running this legendary Route 66 motel since 1971 and it´s a pleasure to stay here and chat with them about the Route.

From the west, you turn off right for Lebanon and right again for the old 66 and the beautifully restored neon of the Munger Moss (the names of the original two owners who previously had the Elbow Inn at nearby Devil's Elbow).

Significantly, the room prices are considerably lower than those demanded by the 80% of motels in the USA that are now managed by Asian Indians, one of the new curiosities of Route 66 and elsewhere.

My smallish room was clean and functional with historic Route 66 prints and free wifi. Coffee and snacks were available in reception which is also a shop with interesting Route 66 books and souvenirs.

The Route 66 Preservation Foundation awarded Ramona and Bob Lehman their "Mother Road Business of the Year" prize in 2006. And indeed, this is the place to stay for any real aficionados of the nostalgia of Route 66.

For those who have time, there is also a small swimming pool and it is just a short drive into town to shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: No traffic here. Some have larger bathrooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo