“Not As Good As Expected”

Dowd's Catfish and BBQ
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Lebanon
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having grown up in an area with catfish as a regular part of the menu, I have pretty high standards. Many of the reviews and the numerous billboards in the area touted Dowds as having the best catfish in the area. The fist was coated and fried in the proper coating. However the coating was a little thick for my taste. The meals come with three sides. My fries had been cooked earlier and then had sat around for awhile and were cool and rubbery. The Cole Slaw was excellent and a side salad was passable. The service was quick. The clientele was mostly older. Overall it was okay, but nothing I would drive out of my way for.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had lunch there with a large group of guys after we floated the Niangua river. I had the catfish and was delighted I did - very tasty! With the slaw, fries & beans I had more than enough to eat. Very pleasant server who kept my drink refilled promptly, always a plus for me, even though there was 13 of us eating! Looking forward to a return visit!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Great food and great people. I always take my out of town business guests to Dowds for some "local" food. The catfish is great and reminds me of some of the best Fish Houses in Arkansas and futher south.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Best catfish I've ever had in my life, hands down. Perfect batter, non-greasy, and so tender insider. You must at least try the catfish while you're there. The BBQ was fine, nothing to scream or shout about either way. But the catfish, oh boy, I wanted to breakdance after my first bite. On top of that, the price was very affordable ! Do yourself a favor and order some, you'll thank me later :)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've driven past Dowd's many times and finally stopped. The place has the look of a good joint. Nice themed restaurant. We settled on the BBQ. We had sliced brisket and pulled pork. Our sides were slaw and potatoe salad. Each of these were good. Regrettably, We did not try the catfish or fried foods. The pulled pork resembled chewed pork. My preference is more stringy than shredded. The sliced beef was good. Coffee is not very good. The Ozarks offers many great Q places. This one is good, not great. Staff is very friendly, service is fast, and it's family friendly.