“Great sunsets, large wine list, friendly staff.”
Review of The Duck - CLOSED

The Duck
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great fine dining on the waterfront...The only fine dining restaurant on the water at the Lake of the Ozarks. Come by car or boat. See our website for our current menus.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We come by boat, usually on Friday evenings to catch the sunset. Outside tables are very desirable, so you should make a reservation if you want one on the weekend. The docks are well protected by the breakwater, (which wasn't the case many years ago). Food has always been great. We especially enjoy the smoked trout appetizer and the rack of lamb. Easy to recommend.

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Yes, it is hard to find a better sunset at the lake than from The Duck. Thanks for mentioning the breakwaters. We put those in in 2010. It was a large investment, but we knew it was the right thing to do in order to protect our dock and our guest’s boats. Now our visitors enjoy the calm waters in “Duck Harbor” while dining al fresco on our covered deck or in one of our indoor dining spaces.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I think this might be the loveliest place we have been to at the Lake. We arrived late on a Sunday night with no reservation. We were seated right away and the hostess was very friendly. The waiter was very attentive and patient as we made our choices. Halfway through our meal we were told our lights were on in our car They took our car keys and went to the car only to find out they weren't sure about the setting. Came back to our table, asked and went back to the car. This is remarkable to me because there are a lot of stairs. After a wonderful dinner-we each had something different and were happy with our choices. When we got to the car the battery was dead. My husband went back down and within 5 minutes a lovely gentleman in a golf cart was there to jump start our car. We travel quite a bit and eat out quite frequently. I have never had this level of service ever. The food is good, the restaurant is beautiful. My only complaint would be the cost. Would I go back? In a heartbeat.

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

We’re so glad you enjoyed your visit. We do keep a battery starter at hand; it is usually the boats that need them, but they work equally well on cars. Our busser Carl joined us at age 16, and now as a 22 year old college student can still bound up and down those stairs. I used the golf cart because I don’t “bound” like a 22 year old does any more!

I attribute our high level of service to the team we’ve built over the years. We’re a small, boutique restaurant. Many of our employees have been with us a number of years and they work well as a team. The hostess is my wife and co-owner Donna, and she has a great eye for service. Finally, both of us are on duty every evening.

Come and see us again….and we can all get a good chuckle out of the ‘dead battery problem’ – fortunately it was a minor issue and didn’t delay you too long!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I live part time at the Lake of the Ozarks and part time in Atlanta, GA. We are extensive national travelers and occasional global travelers. We are also both foodies (in the business). When we are at our home at the lake, we always make a point to visit The Duck. Mark (owner /wine expert) without doubt the best wine list in the area - rivaling many big city restaurants and Chef Phil along with owner hostess Donna Ziegler work very hard and successfully to balance the tastes of the mid-western local elite and people like us. The Duck is our go to place when we have visitors to our home whether family or business groups and they have always been well pleased. Top it off with a cozy friendly ambience, gracious hosts and a spectacular view. The Duck is a can't miss in my view.

I can imagine that the going from high-energy Atlanta to our quieter tempo is therapeutic. Yes, it is a challenge for us to balance cuisine you might find in metropolitan areas while still satisfying Midwestern tastes. Based on our time in Europe, we also try to provide a bit more leisurely pace for our guests, one where good food and wine complement good friends enjoying each other’s company. Thanks too for noting our wine list. We work hard to bring nice wines to our guests, and to store them and serve them appropriately.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Steak was kind of tough... tough to swallow when you've paid almost $45 for it. Came with a small starch and we had to ask for a veggie which cost extra. Not impressed

1  Thank Iowa86
LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I’m sorry you did not care for your steak. You didn’t say which of our steak selections you had and while we use a great grade of beef, I am reminded of a conversation I had years ago with one of our Iowa cattle rancher guests: “It can be graded the highest grade possible”, he said of steak in general, “but it still comes from a ‘critter’, and they are all different…and some get more ‘exercise’ than others and can be tough, despite our best efforts.” I joke with our Chef that he should take the first bite of every dish leaving his kitchen!

Our servers always ask how things are. As with all reputable restaurants, we really want to know so that if anything is not to the guests liking, so that we can correct problems. The guest has a responsibility, I believe, to be truthful and say so if they are find their dinner less than satisfactory. We would have gladly remade your steak, or you could have made another selection from our menu. Sometimes guests are reluctant to speak up, but really need to do that as we want them to have a nice experience just as much as they want to have one.

I thank you for visiting our beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. We had a wonderful Labor Day weekend, and as temperatures moderate there is still a lot of great ‘al fresco dining at our restaurant as well as the other great restaurants on the lake, so come visit the lake this fall!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had 10 in our party and The Duck provided great food and service. Our waitress, Jessi P. was attentive and very informative as our large group ordered and ask questions about the food choices. She was fun. Very reasonable price per person if you deduct the cost of the wine and liquor from the food. We had great appetizers and a wide variety of entrees. Steaks, lamb chops, chicken, sea bass, pork chop and salmon all were very good and prepared correctly. Nice to find a place on the lake that is not pub food! If you are at the lake cruise on over and try it. You will like it!

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

We enjoyed hosting your group, and I’m glad Jessi took good care of you – thank you for acknowledging her. You’ve hit on one of our keys to success: our servers are professionals, and several of them have been with us a number of years. They know their stuff, and know how to take care of guests. We’ve had some great boating weather, too, and our all-concrete dock and wavebreak system affectionately known as “Duck Harbor” is getting a lot of traffic!