Our last time to visit Camden on the Lake. Here's why.....We went down for a quick 1 day trip (Fri-Sat) and wanted to stay and the nicest, most inclusive, place we could find given our limited time. We're in our early 30's and have two kids. We were looking for a night away from the kids where we could sit by a pool, have some drinks, and get some sun.
We arrived around Noon, our check-in time was 4pm. We asked for a first available room so we could get in earlier, and one never came up. Apparently, they truly need every minute from 11am to 4pm to clean the rooms as we also couldn't get a late check-out when requested either. The receptionist, when we came in, was mouthing off to a customer over the phone, who was simply looking for a room in a full hotel, and felt her sarcasm was pretty humorous when she got off the line. We felt it disrespectful and out of line.
So, to kick things off while "roomless", we went to the pool, it was overcast and sprinkling out. Pool + Bar = Closed. Regardless of the bar and most of the pool being covered it was closed for weather. We asked why and were advised they simply didn't have enough interest to open them given the weather. So I guess people need to sit at the empty bars to promote the resort opening them? We walked over to the dock bar (covered), closed. Stage bar (not-covered), closed. The only place to go was the 3rd floor bar and grill. Thus, no room and no entertainment. We had lunch and a drink on the 3rd floor and then left the property, not coming back until 8pm. The band was going by then, and regardless of having the furthest-most lakefront room from the stage, the band was unbelievably loud and went until after midnight. Thus, no sleep.
Next day was perfect, weather-wise, the pool/bar, dock and stage bars were still closed at 10am so we got sick of waiting, checked out, and rented a boat from the dock. We came back around 1pm and the 20 or so pool seats in the sunshine were taken. Again, most of the pool is in the shade, the water was ridiculously cloudy, and they blast club house music over the PA, so we chose not to stay there. The dock bar and stage bar were STILL closed at 1pm, so again, we're back to sitting in the 3rd floor bar. Finally, to actually get some sun, we got drinks from the pool bar, sat at the end of the dock, and boat watched. Not exactly the comfort and quiet we were looking for, but the best we found around the property. Oh, and if you ask for a specific liquor in your drink, you get the generic. We asked for 7/7 and Meyer's/diet, neither arrived as requested.
This place is like Panama City Beach at the lake. No water in the fridge, just red bull. 70's rock blasting from the stage all night and night club music blasting from the pool in the day (when they finally open it). No dock seating, no water level bars open for most the time, pool's gross, about 20 seats in the sunlight amongst the entire property. So what did we get? No use of the property on Friday at all and Saturday I spent and extra (unexpected) $300 on a boat just to get some sun and have something to do, because nothing on the property was available.
So why did I even give it a 2?
The rooms are nice, well kept, and pretty luxurious, but the balcony WAS covered in spiders. Seems the cleaning crew could wipe down the balconies while they're at it, but you could tell they hadn't done that for our room in some time, so of course my wife had little/no interest in the balcony.
Simply not the relaxation we thought we were getting. Far more work than expected to simply find entertainment, and for the high price, not at all worth it. Too expensive for the lake. They have the right idea going here....but the execution is terrible and we will not be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Camden on the Lake Resort, Spa, & Yacht Club at Toad Cove is the newest and most luxurious full-service Hotel to open at the Lake of the Ozarks in nearly a decade. The Resort is located adjacent to the famous H. Toad’s Entertainment Complex at the seven-mile marker of Lake of the Ozarks and covers over a quarter of a mile of shoreline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Camden on the Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Camden On The Lake Resort, Spa, And Yacht Club
- Camden On The Lake Resort, Spa, & Yacht Club Hotel Lake Ozark
- Hotel And Yacht Toadcove
- Camden On The Lake Resort Lake Of The Ozarks, MO - Lake Ozark