“Worth a try”

Camden on the Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Camden is a beautiful and much newer hotel. The rooms are gorgeous and very well designed. I wouldn't mind living in a room like I had. It had everything-kitchenette, washer/dryer in one(which was really cool), HUGE shower and wonderful jet tub, comfy bed, and awesome views of the lake. I didn't have any problems with staff, etc. It's some of the little things that I noticed that weren't as impressive...
-first off...DO NOT go on a weekend- our room was well away from the bar but you could hear the live entertainment clearly (even from the parking lot). it was SO LOUD until 1am, which made it darn near impossible to get any decent sleep. there are lots of people who like to party that come here and they party well past any decent hour very loudly..
-second, most things seemed pretty clean-I did notice there were cobwebs many locations throughout the room and on the patio, there were stains on some of the linens we had which I have no idea what it was but hopefully it was washed
-our room had an unusual time with the hot water-first night trying to take a bath/shower and all I got was cold water so we called the front desk and they told us to run the cold water for a while and it would turn hot, which it did eventually but still I would expect a place this expensive/upscale would have instant hot water

Overall I say give it a try but just watch the little things and if you don't feel like shelling out big bucks then there are other nice places to stay too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank twister8263

Reviewed July 12, 2012

The rooms are beautiful! Amazing bathroom, kitchenette, and decor. The bed was extremely comfortable, the room was furnished beautiful. All for a reasonable price. The staff was very friendly. The workout room was nice and had a beautiful view. Loved the pool and access to the lake.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LisaG814
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My fiance and I headed to the Lake for a relaxing vacation. I grew up on the Lake and wanted to show my fiance what a fantastic place it could be. I had hyped up the Horny Toad to her stating that we had to plan a romantic evening and get a Lake view room. That I had the perfect place with a gorgeous view of the Lake. So after leaving the kiddos at Grandmas we headed to the Toad. We arrived at the Hotel and was greeted by two friendly young men at the desk. After getting a Lake view Grand Suite for $286.00 after taxes and resort fees we headed up to our room. The entire 6th floor smelt like weed with loud music blaring out of a couple of rooms. Our room number was 609. First thing we noticed when we opened our door was how horrible the carpet looked. You couldn't look 4 feet without seeing a stain. The coffee table had carvings in it from what looked to be a knife. We called down and requested another room. Again the staff was very friendly. We got a similar room on the fifth floor room number 505. We opened the door and we notice the carpets aren't much better. Embarrasing! We thought we would be staying in a perfect room for the price we paid but that was not going to be rhe reality of things. We headed out for the night to see Contagious and eat 2 star dinners at 4 star prices. Drinks however weren't bad and priced good. After a late night it was nice to be able to get some grilled food as well. In the end after our stay we discovered a loose wobbling toilet a shower door that wouldnt close all the way, and a malfunctioning washer/dryer. I guess Merlin, the previous owner put all the money in this place and now that the bank owns it they can reep the benifits without putting a dime into the place. If you are young, in college and have some extra cash to blow for partying hard then this is the place for you. If you are over thirty and want to have a romantic nice evening with your loved one and get your hard-earned money's worth then avoid like the plauge.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank McGill50
HToad, Manager at Camden on the Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Camden on the Lake. I am sorry that everything was not as it should have been during your stay. Our management team meets weekly to discuss customer comments and we try to find solutions for the issues brought up by our guests. It's embarrassing that we have failed so miserably in the carpet cleaning area, but it's not for a lack of effort or money. Several different cleaning methods have been tried to no avail and we are now in the process of soliciting bids for carpet replacement. I can assure you that the replacement carpet will be of a higher quality than the original. We hope you will try us again and see a noticable improvement.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The room was much nicer than expected at the Lake. Although we weren't there long enough to take advantage of the kitchen it was a nice surprise to have available. It was the week of July 4th and the band noise would have prevented me from sleeping had I not brought ear plugs. But, since the bed was great, big, soft king with nice linens (my personal deal-breaker) I slept well. The boutique is lovely with a nice selection of swimwear and other items. The pool was busy but not overly so, however it was still smokey, even though we were outside. The crowds were light for a holiday weekend but I noticed the next morning that the pool area was still littered with dirty towels, cups, straws and random lime wedges. The facilities in the yacht club are also nicely done although there is only one shower in the restroom. The dock had all the hook-ups we needed but the slip was tight and the boat rubbed back and forth against the rails all night which my kids thought made it hard to sleep. (However, it was a rental slip). If considering a stay here, realize that this facility is in the cove with two of the busiest bars on the water (H. Toad's and Shady Gators). I likened it to a hotel in party cove. If that's what you're up for, I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Room Tip: If concerned about noise from the band at H. Toad's request a room on the back side of the build...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank D3K2
HToad, Manager at Camden on the Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write about your expenience at Camden on the Lake. Feedback such as you have provided is a valuable tool in measuring our results and we will discuss everything you brought up at our weekly staff meeting. It sounds like you enjoyed our facility and we apologize for not providing a wider boat slip. Please make us aware of your boats beam or width for your next visit and our Harbormaster will select the proper slip for you.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have been fortunate to stay here several times since March, every time was Wonderful, Our Room is Beautiful with the the best bedding....Bathroom Dual Shower head, can I say more. Just brought my 16 Year old daughter here for the LIL Wayne Concert, even though she was to young, she really enjoyed it from our balcony,& Security was everywhere & was super pleasant & helpful & by my Surprise the ENTIRE COMPLEX was CLEAN as a WISTLE by MORNING....MOTHER"S DAY BRUNCH WAS The BOMB:) Long stem Rose, live music, great food, best Mother's Day Brunch anywhere in Chicago....Thanks for helping make my STAY such a pleasant and wonderful experience. Trust ME, I'm a hard COOKIE to Please.....Thank-you STAFF of Camden on the Lake for the WONDERFUL MEMORIES!

Room Tip: Lake VIew,....pay the upgrade:)the lights and action on the water is a joy to watch.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 302Kris10
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This past week I stayed at Camden on the Lake for a business conference. While the facility was nice, the front desk staff did not help my stay start off on the right foot. I was ignored while I was waiting to be checked in and then they couldn't tell me where check in was for my registration. To top it off, they didn't even offer to find out for me. I was not impressed. Then when I went back later to inquire about the fitness center to find out when it opened, they didn't know.

It was good I didn't have a lake view room because the noise on the lake side lasted until the early morning hours.

The food service staff was great!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ParkvilleEDC
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have been to this resort several times and I always love the accommodations. We have stayed in a couple of the suites and once in a regular room. I really don't mind being on the bar side with the music. I enjoy the music and if I am tired I can sleep through that anyway. The suites have washer-dryer combos which I have used. They didn't seem to work real well but it might have been user error. The kitchen is amazing. Everything you need if you want to fix a quick breakfast or lunch. Dishwasher, refrigerator (with ice maker in the suite), granite counters, dishes, pans, utensils, cook top, disposal, etc. The volleyball court is open air but under the building so it isn't in the sun. Makes it nice to play if you can get a group of people that know how. In the suite there is a living room with a nice surround sound stereo and flat screen TV. There is also a flat screen TV in the bedroom and bathroom. All the rooms are spacious. The hotel has a theater that you can watch movies in. We just asked and they rented a movie of our choice to see. There is a small pool table downstairs, too.
The pool is very nice with an area that is under the building so you can get out of the sun if you need to. The swim up bar is really nice. This is probably the only negative I will complain about.... We were there on Friday and Saturday this week and I love to sit at the pool to tan and take a dip to cool off. However, they had a huge party and people from who knows where came in and took over the place on both days. I really don't mind a crowd at the pool but this was ridiculous. It was obvious the pool party people were not staying at the hotel for the most part. There were so many people, you couldn't find a chair nor could you get into the pool without stumbling over people. The worst part is that most of these people were smoking and if the smoke didn't get in your face, then you were surely floating right next to nasty ashes. It is a little frustrating to pay for a hotel and not be able to enjoy the pool for 2 precious days. I would suggest that anyone wanting to enjoy a weekend here should call ahead to make sure they are not hosting a pool party.
Also, I don't think it would have been so bad if the hotel would make it a non-smoking event and bring in some extra chairs during this party. After all, smoking is banned in most big cities now so smokers are getting used to finding a designated area.
Wi-fi is free throughout the property which is great! It is a little unreliable but I was patient and was able to reconnect pretty easily when the signal dropped. We were there for meetings a couple days and the food was not that great. I would probably give a low score on that. The chicken was dry and overcooked and most of the food was pretty bland. The hall doors are not great for keeping out the noise in the hall. We were awakened several times during our stay with people arguing or fighting in the hall. Not sure what was going on with all that. Would I go back? Not unless I got a clear understanding of what was going on in the resort. I just got home and I am tired from interrupted sleep and I am so bummed because I was looking forward to some down time at the pool.

Room Tip: Tips: If you don't like loud music at night ask for a room on the far side away from the bar. I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
The Lodge at Port Arrowhead
The Lodge at Port Arrowhead
#3 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Camden on the Lake Resort? Share your experiences!