“Dated and overpriced.”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Dated and overpriced.”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We spent two nights at this resort in July 2014. We had an atrium room in the main lodge. The room was very dated. It was not as clean as it should have been. There were dirty spots on the chair and carpet. There were crumbs on the floor under the edge of one bed. There was a stain on one sheet. Two flies were buzzing around the room when we got there.

After being gone almost all day after our first night we returned and the room had not been cleaned. After asking at about 4:30 p.m. we at least got fresh towels and the garbage emptied but the floor needed to be vacuumed and went undone.

The first night there was a wedding reception. You could hear the base of the music throughout our building. The bed actually vibrated with the noise. You would think the resort might limit noise or require it to end by 11:00, but it went on until almost midnight. When I said something about it at checkout, the desk was not even apologetic. Apparently all the guests who were not connected to the wedding were less important than the reception.

The main areas of the building were nice but mostly dated. Certain otherwise attractive areas, such as an interior waterfall were cheapened by the fact a hose and large fan were just left out in plain view. The Japanese Garden, which is touted as having rare plants, is nice but did not live up to the resort's advertising. The vast majority of the plants were pretty but not at all unusual.

The resort itself and everything there, from the items in the shops to the food is overpriced. A nice men's shirt in the shop was $118. The breakfast buffet, not much different than free breakfasts at many hotels was $15.00. It was like staying at Disneyworld only this is not close to the same caliber as Disneyworld.

For what this resort charges and the way it touts itself it was a disappointment. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank RapidWren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Gardner, Kansas
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I went down for a weekend getaway with my friend. Honestly, I was a little nervous due to all the negative reviews but I found this hotel to be very nice. We booked the $99 online special. We got a double queen room and it was very nice and clean. It had a mini fridge and plenty of room. LIke the rest of the rooms it did not have an updated flat screen but to us that didn't matter as we didn't spend much time in our room. The facility location was close to downtown and other restaurants. Overall for the money this was a really great hotel with lots to do and see! I'd absolutely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Kansas City
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was in Lake Ozark for business and stayed at the Season's Bay part of the Lodge for 4 nights. Seasons Bay a separate building on the grounds next to the main lodge. I want to start off with the good. All the staff was extremely friendly and the grounds are in a great location with a excellent view. Sleep quality was OK. I didn't hear other guests and the room was relatively quiet. The bed and sheets were OK.

Now for the rest, When I arrived, check-in took forever. The line was long and very slow moving. I don't ever recall check-in taking this long at any other hotel I've ever stayed at. There were three employees at the front desk and I felt they should have had more working with the amount of people arriving. I waited in line for approximately 30 min. It then it took an additional 10 min with the lady helping. It seemed like she was having some computer problems and had difficulty locating my reservation. I'm thankful I had my confirmation paperwork in hand. I was finally informed my room wasn't going to be available until 3 PM. No problem. I had arrived a little early, around 1 PM. The lobby was dated in late 60's early 70's decor. I can handle that, but the carpet was stained and worn. Everything there needed attention and TLC.

When I got to the room I was not impressed. Things were simply average to below average. Old furniture, old tube style TV, no microwave or mini-fridge. There was some trash left over from the previous guest(s) I saw under and next to the bed that should have been collected prior to my arrival. The toilet did not appear to be cleaned thoroughly if at all. The toilet also ran constantly so I had to shut the door to the bathroom at night to keep it from bothering me. The maid service seemed to just empty trash and change out towels. The bed was never made, just tucked in. Attention to detail was simply lacking all the way around.

Sitting out on the balcony was nice until I noticed thousands of ants crawling on the side of the building and around my window. I later spoke to another guest and they said they noticed the same.

Walking around the property, I did notice some nicer areas. The rooms at the main lodge around the Parrot Bay bar, pool area, Japanese Garden, looked fairly nice and more accommodating. This was from what I could see through some windows and open doors. If you are considering staying at the Lodge of Four Seasons, do your homework and consider staying in a room at the Lodge.

To summarize, staying at the Season's Bay part of the Lodge was simply a place for me to sleep. Just like a staying at a motel to sleep and shower. I would not consider staying here again and I would have been disappointed if this trip was an out of pocket expense. This place could have potential but it needs millions in renovations.

Room Tip: Look into staying at a room in the Lodge main building or around the Parrot Bay pool area.
3 Thank DarkKnight0412
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I had to stay here for 3 nights while attending a conference. It is a nice, very clean aging property. My room furnishings were from the 1980s; no HD flat screen. The room was spacious, clean and had a view of the lake. So the TV didn't matter. The staff was very attentive. One oddity, was when my room was cleaned, the bed was not completely made. They just tucked up the blanket, and that was it. Strange. The pool side bar was nice to hang out at, and they offer 2 pools. For a large conference the grounds were not crowded, which was enjoyable. The breakfast buffet at Breezes was very good, offering a nice start to the morning. The facility location was close to downtown and other restaurants. They also have their own marina.
For the money I paid, I had no problems there. Sure I would have liked a more modern place, but it works.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor, at main building. There are out buildings and a tower. Pick wisely.
Lees Summit, mo
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Pros: beautiful views from our room and the workout room. Has a marina and a staircase to a fishing dock...that's about it.
Cons: very out dated. No fridge or microwave in room, so you can't bring your own food or leftovers if you need those. We had two full size beds, which were rock hard, with several pillows, all flat, hard or lumpy.
My boyfriend was here for a conference so I thought I'd lay out by the pool. The one closest to our room only had 3 lounge chairs. One the seat was broken. And only about 5 normal table chairs.
I wouldn't pay to stay here!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Carmen P
Cape Girardeau
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Very nice place to stay. The dining is excellent and the service is very good. The staff is very helpful and willing to get what you need. The front desk staff are courteous and efficient. I would certainly recommend Lodge of the 4 Seasons.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

NOT ADA FRIENDLY!
Maybe "compliant", but access is very limited if not impossible to most amenities.
My wife (not disabled, but mobility challenged) was told by reservations she would not have stairs or long walks to amenities.
Our rooms were not ready at 3. The Lobby Lounge is not open at three. The Breeze restaurant (down 5 steps) is basically breakfast and lunch and closes at 3, but they didn't turn us away. Outside from The Breeze are sidewalks to the pool ... ramps are away from the pool along the patios of other guests ... down 40 deg grades. Non-powered wheelchairs would have difficulty going up and might not stop before stairs down to the parking lot on the same course.
Indoor pool (with a pool-side hoist??) is only accessible by several long flights of stairs.
Indoor pool and fitness equipment posted as being available thru the spa for $35/day/guest.
Food so far "sub-resort".

Update. We are checking out to enjoy our vacation elsewhere.
Just watched a guest in a wheelchair who had apparently had a fall, and was leaving because of access problems. The staffer assisting him promising that they had plans to make "several changes" in the fall. While other staff had told us that the hotel must be ADA grandfathered.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main lodge are sorely out of date. The Avila is newer, but completely separate from...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
LakeHouse Hotel
LakeHouse Hotel
#1 of 15 in Osage Beach

Been to Lodge of Four Seasons? Share your experiences!