“Avila Condos at the Lodge of Four Seasons”

Lodge of Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Effingham, Illinois
“Avila Condos at the Lodge of Four Seasons”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Condos are nice size, bedroom, large bathroom, living room, kitchen, and dining room. Very comfortable and we had a great view of the lake. Very nice beds and above average bed linens. The place really needed a good cleaning. I looked under the bed and the dining room table extension and a paper cup was under the very dusty bed. The condos are a short walk from the hotel lobby. The condos looked much better than the hotel. The walking path is across the street. The staff was very nice.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank bettyIllinois
MoFord, Carl Clark - Vice Presidet of Operations at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We appreciate the kind words about our staff. It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay and were able to relax with a wonderful view of The Lake. We have shared your comments with the housekeeping department to ensure rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day. We’re very happy that enjoyed your stay in Avila and hope to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We have stayed in hotels all over the world and this is best described as a total dump! Nice people who tried to make the most of this late 70s time warp. My wife and I had a few laughs but thank God we only stayed one night in this museum to disco era motels. Creepy!

We arrived about 3pm and were told our room wasn't ready, we went to the poolside bar which was ok except for cheap furniture and Bud Light umbrellas that were at leaqst 10 years old.

Off to our room and honestly we were stunned. We were told we would have a lovely view of the lake. Really? Over a roof of the spa, the lobby and multiple airconditioning units, we could see the lake. which is very nice. The room was ludicrous. A tiny bathroom complete with flies and a toilet that would barely flush. The tempature controls look like are an exhibit from the Smithsonian. The curtain was torn. The sliding door was old and barely usable. The small tube TV, the weird 70s furniture and very old, very used mattress completed the experience.
The rest of the place is something like a bad dream I have had. Think of the Shinning in the winter, we were waiting for Jack Nicholson to make an appearance. The elevators crunched and banged while barely opening. Vast areas of the hotel were vacant with mirrors and old carpet for a truley spooky ambiance. A small cramped bar on the first floor was terrible.

Finally this morning we ventured to the restaurant, another time trip to the early 80s at best. The place was freezing at 9am as the tempature had dropped overnight. Adding to the chill were the ceiling fans. Our very nice waitress told us the fans were connected to the lights and the only way to turn them off was to turn off the lights. She also said that if they turn the heat on the place gets too hot. We suggested they turn the heat on until it got warmer and then turn it off. They thought this was a great idea and they turned the heat on to the comfort of the shiviring customers.The food was terrible. GREASY, like a Dennys on the interstate, and putrid coffee. We each asked for a side of bacon, about 6 pieces, that cost us $11. We left as quickly as possible through the weird 70s lobby.

Room Tip: Don not stay here, although you may want to check it out for laughs, but not for $200 a night
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Raymundo4855
MoFord, Carl Clark - Vice President of Operations at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
I apologize that you did not find your trip to The Lodge of Four Seasons a relaxing time. I would really like to have the opportunity to discuss your experience with you and encourage you to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Travelers are raving about these Lake Ozark hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I am not sure how anybody could rate this hotel 5 star or write a review like, "I can't say enough good things about the 4 seasons"????? Anyone who likes this place for the price they charge of $250 a night has never stayed in a nice hotel before and has no frame of reference. If you think this is a nice place, you must be from Po Dunk Missouri. In reality, a great 4 star resort is a hotel like The Wynn in Las Vegas (which is cheaper then this place). This is simply not a 4 star place and is really a 1 -2 star dive. The 4 seasons wishes they were the "four seasons" by Ritz Carlton which is why they took the name. They are trying to appear to be high end but In reality this hotel is a dump that needs a full cleaning very badly.

The only explanation I have for my review Vs. Others below is that I stayed in the "lake-view" tower NOT the main building. Maybe other reviewers stayed in the main towers not the neglected lake view tower. Don't make this mistake! The lakeview tower is a straight up dump! The grounds have not been cleaned in 20 years and the pool had a mold ring around it that is hard not to touch when you swim. I usually don't like to lean up against mold while I am chilling out.....but that's just me. The ONE great thing about the lakeview tower is we did have hundreds of live and dead bugs as roommates to keep us company. This place could truly be the 4 seasons........if the 4 seasons were dump, dive, scum, and trash.

Room Tip: Do not stay in lakeview room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JeffMetz77
MoFord, Carl Clark Vice President of Operations at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
I apologize that your stay at The Lodge was not as enjoyable as our recent reviewers. We enjoy many returning guest who elect to stay with their families, friends or attend a conference at The Lodge as a result of our traditional friendly attention to service when they are here. I have researched our call logs for July when you stayed with us and find no record of any issue being reported. I wish you would have notified our staff of an issue so we could have resolved it when you were here. If you would like to discuss your stay with me further, please feel free to contact me directly.
Griswold, Iowa
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I can't say enough good things about this resort. We have stayed on two different occasions and both have been wonderful. Rooms are great as is the service.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Lodge of Four Seasons and Thank you for your comments. We look forward to your next visit with us.
usa
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed two nights. Our room was very clean. We had a beautiful view of the lake. The kids Adventure Club was entertaining with lots to do. Several different pools to choose from. The boys enjoyed a round of golf. We ate the breakfast buffet each morning and the food was good and the service was excellent. Everyone on staff that we came in contact with was super nice and helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments; it is great to read that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities during your stay with us. Thank you for choosing The Lodge for your get away.
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was here for a convention in June. Pools and facility were great. On site restaurant was very good and is close other very good dining and entertainment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and conference at The Lodge.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I just got back from spending the Memorial Day weekend with my 3 bridesmaids at the Lodge of Four Seasons. So far the trip was just wonderful. The previous reviews about the pools were true....there are lots to choose from! Also, the views of the lake are amazing as well as the easy access to the shop where you can go para-sailing, jet ski, etc. We did the para- sailing while we were there and it was fun, although the crew was very un-enthusiastic.
The Good:
The hotel was a reasonable price, our room was always cleaned by the time we went back every day, clean towels, no mold at all (which was impressive being right by the lake) , the staff was very helpful with taxi, dinner at the restaurants had AMAZING food (free dessert for me and my bridesmaids!), the spa was clean and the evenings quiet with no loud parties of college kids next door.
The Not-as-good:
The room was small for all 4 ladies, the beds were harder than I would have liked, the spa was very expensive (use the $15 off discount for the room), the entry way door had an awkward layout as anyone by the bathroom or sink would get hit or in the way if someone else was trying to exit or enter, the stairs down to the dock were very steep, breakfast at the cafe was very expensive ($8.00 for yogurt?) and it is 10-15 min drive to the main town so nice if you want a quiet get-away but a little too quiet if you want to be in the middle of the action.
Couple Complaints:
Our first shower backed up in the tub and we had to manually get it started again - maintenance was sent right away but I wish they would have just moved us to a different room. Also, the spa hair salon was nice but all of us had to redo our hair once we got back to the room. For some reason they didn't use enough hair spray or products....and for the price we paid I was hoping to get more qualified hair stylists.

With any trip I try to be as descriptive as possible but with this one in particular...well...let's just say I had the time of my life and the best friends in the entire world!!! So my memories of the Four Seasons will always be close to my heart! :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing The Lodge of Four Seasons for your Bachelorette Party weekend. We certainly hope that everyone in your group had the time of their life as you described your stay. Thank you again for staying with us at The Lodge and we look forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Ozark
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark

Been to Lodge of Four Seasons? Share your experiences!