“Huh, what did you say?”
Review of Canoe Club

Canoe Club
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Wanted, dinner with hubby and a little conversation. What we got was an evening of pantomiming and shouted statements. This was our first time here. It was a Thursday night about 6:30.

Although, not expecting a classy restaurant, I was surprised by the "hole in the wall" packed with people, tables and chairs. We were told we would have to wait 25 minutes, however we probably waited only 10 minutes. We waited at a small packed bar that only sat about 8 patrons. Although there was seating outside, it wasn't realistic with the 104 degree temperature. So we stood with others with our drinks, moving this way and that for the servers to get through.

The worst part was the noise. You could not make yourself heard without shouting. There was absolutely no opportunity for conversation, because it was just too difficult to hear and make yourself heard. Even the servers had to ask for you to repeat your order, misunderstanding "thousand island" for "Italian". It makes for a very frustrating meal when the service is a little slow and you can't fill that time with conversation. Later in the evening there was live music which completely ended any chance of conversation.

The decor is early lake cabin...actually cute in a retro rustic sort of way.

The food, Chicken Marsala and Mahi-Mahi was very good and the portions were very generous and reasonably priced. The side salads for an additional $1.99 were a bargain. The drinks were also good and reasonably priced.

I would return, but only for lunch or a very early dinner and hope that it is more quiet.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I stopped in yesterday to try out this restaurant since we have moved nearby. What a surprise. The sweet potato fries appetizer was great. I had a Mahi Mahi melt sandwich on wheatberry bread - fantastic. My husband is a beef lover and had the prime rib sandwich (big chunks of prime rib and swiss cheese on a hoagie bun. He loved it. The iced tea is freshly brewed and tasted just like mine! They have a band on Thurs. thru Saturdays. Easy to get to just off Colbern Rd east of Highway 7. We're talking south of Blue Springs a couple of miles. Love this place. Planning to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary there later this month. Also, going to try their all you can eat shrimp on Sunday afternoons from 3-9 pm.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

I was told that it was less expensive and better than the Grog and Galley so my expectations were high, too high. The canoe club has a decent looking menu and is certainly less expensive than the Grog and Galley. The calamari was a nice start, cooked well and served with a side of dipping sauce with a Cajun touch. I was optimistic. Then my lobster bisque arrived. The first time I had lobster bisque was in San Diego over 20 years ago. I was a very young mother and we had sprung for a night out at a local seafood restaurant. The lobster bisque was heaven, light, flavorful, with just a touch of white wine. I've never had a bisque quite like it since. The Bisque at the Canoe Club was no exception. It was thick, too salty and over powered by the Cajun seasoning used in the calamari dipping sauce. There were a few pieces of lobster that were re-warmed on the grill and were clearly left over from the lobster tail special a few nights before. Fish tacos - one of my favorites were just okay and served with, guess what, the dipping sauce that was served with the Calamari. If you are looking for just average - this is the place. Oh yes and a few days before at the Grog and Galley I'd had a healthy, heavy handed scotch on the rocks waterside at the Grog and Galley. Jack came out stoked the fire and threw on some pinon for a nice touch. Canoe Club, yours was a bit skimpy.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

"Said Lotawana is the place you oughta be, so we headed down to Colbern and Canoe Club there we see" . Owners are official Lake Lotawana Lake Rats and know how to create a fun and relaxed atmosphere. The beer is always cold, Roasterie Coffe is served fresh and hot and the service is efficient and entertaining. Menu is diverse with a wide variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches and fish and steak choices. Phish Tacos!!! My mouth is watering as I type this. Live music on many nights. Outdoor patio lends an air of relaxed deck party. Great for couples, families, anyone. I'e seen folks dressed in business casual or fresh off the lake and flip flopped on in! Andy and Nick are masters at welcoming you to their home away from home. I love that the place is lined with knotty pine from an old house at the lake and the bar stools and booths continue to work their magic as they came from the now closed Stephenson's Apple Farm Restaurant. History, Lotawana kitsch and cool, great people and delicious food. you won't be disappointed. Check out the brunch on Sunday mornings. Nick will make you an omelette and Andy will show you the Bloody Mary bar!

1  Thank dlrhlr
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We ate here on a Saturday evening when the place was about half full. The evening started off great with very good appetizers, calamari and boneless wings. I ordered the cajun sirloin for dinner. The meat itself was fine but had no "cajun" to it at all. Another person in our party orderd the KC strip and it was a very tough piece of meat and wasn't seasoned at all either. We all ordered asparagus or garlic mashed potatoes as a side and the asparagus looked more like the size of a piece of spaghetti as opposed to a spear of asparagus and the "garlic" mashed potatoes were without "garlic" or any seasoning for that matter. Our 4 year old was with us and had a grilled cheese and tortilla chips... chips were stale. The service was poor as well. We practically had to tackle the waitress to get a drink refill all night, but when someone "important" walked in the whole staff did whatever necessary to make that person happy.
Probably won't go back to this place. and definatley won't reccomend it to anyone.