“We've enjoyed better food at a dive called "Half-way"”

Marina Grog & Galley
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Harrisonville, Missouri, United States
“We've enjoyed better food at a dive called "Half-way"”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Visit on 4/7/2012
The reason we visited MGG was because of the ravings of a work colleague. We went there expecting the price to be high, but I was hoping to enjoy some seafood. My wife ordered the BBQ baby back ribs and I ordered the seafood pasta. The waitress was very pleasant and the service was good, but it went downhill from there.
1. The pre-meal bread was rock hard.
2. We both chose a salad as part of our meal. My wife asked for French dressing, but the waitress later came back later to say that they didn't make French dressing anymore and suggested a fancy smanshy house dressing that tasted a bit funky. Not being too adventurous, I chose an Italian dressing and enjoyed the salad. Since dining by candle light, I didn't notice the salad until near the end. I noticed a couple pieces of "red" lettuce didn't look right. Upon closer examination, I found that they were brown and slimy bad lettuce. I was going to bring it to the waitress' attention, but before I could, an efficient "server" snatched away the plate.
3. In came the entrees. My wife's dinner came with candied yam which tasted like it came from a can, smothered with a goo of orange marmalade and mixed with pecan piece. Not impressive.
4. My seafood pasta was a big letdown. The sauce was bland. The lobster tail, the shrimps, the mussels and the clams all tasted rubbery, obviously overcooked or precooked. The only redeeming items are the scallops.
5. The chocolate desert that had to be ordered early, supposedly because it would take time to make, looked like flattened chocolate cupcake. I didn't bother to taste it, but the wife who loves chocolate didn't think it was worth the bother.
Later, on the way home, we both agreed that it was an overpriced, mediocre dinner.

Needless to say, we shall not return!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Hop N

Independence, Missouri
“Great food”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I had the stuffed pork chop which was very tasty and enough for lunch today. The others at the table had stuffed shrimp, mahi mahi, filet with lobster tail and all were excellent. Love the view of Lake Lotawana from the restaurant. Service was super.

• Visited April 2012
Lee's Summit Missouri
“Best Restaruant in KC”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have gone to this restaruant hundreds of times over the past several years and it is by far my favorite experience of all the places we ever go to dinner at in the KC area. The atmosphere is awesome. Love the lake view, the fireplace and wonder smells, the aquariums and over all apeal. The food has always been wonderful(I usually always get the filet) and appetizers are wonderful. I love the wine selection and the servers have always been gracious and helpful. I can not believe the negative reviews of this place. The only thing is that I have witness that the owner does oversee his place and prides himself in a very quiet romantic evening for the guest, I loud group of diners who want to drink and party would not be welcome there as it is not that type of restaruant. I love to go to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and want to go and relax. If that is the type of evening you want this is just the type of place for you!!! You will love the view, atmosphere and food along with the service!!!! My favorite get away evening ever!!!

• Visited February 2012
Blue Springs, Missouri
“Not worth the price or the trouble”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

In prior years we have had a good experience at this restaurant. The prices were a little high and the service was good as was the food. But now it has become a club for the owner's friends. Only they are treated well. The remainder of us are treated in a rude and indifferent manner by him. I see that in the reviews over and over. The food on my last visit late last yr was not at all the quality that it had been and the prices were way out of line for the area and the quality. I would pay these kind of prices at a quality Plaza restaurant with real service. I say ... this place has outlived its life span because the owner is just not a people person and has let things slip here.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank connieb123
Kansas City, Missouri
“Awesome food, Spectular View”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We went for my birthday dinner and got a table overlooking the water before the sun went down. It was gorgeous. Plus, for fine dining this is one of the few restaurants that still serve a veggie and potato included with your dinner. The food is always good, the service great, but the view makes it spectular! Definitely more of a fine dining experience.

Visited March 2012