“Go out of your way to stay here!”
Review of Depot Inn & Suites

Depot Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in La Plata
Reviewed December 11, 2007

The owners of La Plata's Depot Inn are Tom and Kelly Marshall. In the few days I stayed there, I came to think of them and their staff as friends. If you come in by Amtrak train as I did, someone will meet the train at the station and drive you the short distance to the Inn. Walking into the expansive lobby of the Depot Inn provides a great first impression. It has a feeling of home style friendliness mixed with cleanliness and efficiency. Just across the parking lot is a wonderful restaurant called the Red Rooster. Although there is a bank between the two, the Red Rooster and the Depot Inn compliment each other well, since both proved to be top notch establishments. The food was delicious and the waitresses professional. At the Depot Inn, I took one of the normal rooms instead of a suite. It was very clean, yet homey with a large comfortable bed and more. Anyone not liking this room would have to be daft. There is plenty of space to move around. It had a large screen TV and a roomy shower with lots of hot water. Look at the photos and take note, that this was only a regular room and not one of the suites. This ground level hotel (I'm not even going to say motel, because it is so much more), was most impressive. There is a playground in the back and picturesque grounds surrounding. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting La Plata, MO. If you are anywhere near La Plata, go out of your way to stay here -- you will not regret it. Nearby is Amish country and the hotel runs a small and comfortable bus tour. If you rent a car you can drive to Marceline where Walt Disney grew up. One can see the town that he used as the model for Disneyland and Disney World. A hard-working Depot Inn staff does an efficient job in making your stay a pleasure. Everything was spotlessly clean, inside the hotel and out. It is themed after an 1800s Railroad Depot with railroad antiques and related items abounding. They even have an old handcar on a track out front. There are four themed luxury suites -- Pullman with mahogany sleigh bed, Victorian with canopy bed, Western with huge leather covered sleigh bed and the Sportsman's theme. The rooms include many amenities such as wireless Internet, hair dryer, refrigerator, 27" TV, desk, comfortable rocker recliner, and more. There is a heated indoor pool and a lobby filled with railroad objects and books. The hallways are loaded with railroad memorabilia. I cannot say enough good things about the Depot Inn and the folks who make it work. I hope to make a return visit soon.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ceema D, General Manager at Depot Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2016

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after your stay. We hope you will be visiting our area again soon and look forward to seeing you.

There are newer reviews for Depot Inn & Suites

Reviewed September 29, 2007

My teenage son, his friend and I stayed one night in the Sportsman Suite on September 22 and they loved it! It was a great getaway for making family memories and it was worth it. They really liked the DVD player and big screen TV in the suites and I liked the big pillows to put over my head as they watched movies that we brought with us. They were amazed at the trains that flew by as we sat by the gazebo down the trail and it was really interesting to listen to the radio of the trains as they got ready to come through Laplata. The boys did enjoy the indoor pool, although they got a little rowdy and the very nice gal working at the desk got onto them, which was supported by me. The hotel is only 12 miles from the square in Kirksville and I will not stay anywhere else but there when I come to visit family. The staff is very nice and helpful and I got to visit again with Mr. and Mrs. Harold Marshall, very gracious and humble folks. I want to give a special Thanks to the cleaning staff as the place is immaculate. That is very impressive! Again, Thanks for a great visit and we'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2007

Unlike any hotel experience you have ever had. As a railfan who came specifically because of the railroad theme, I can say it passed all of my expectations and more. And yet it will appeal to anyone who is looking for a unique experience. If you need a place to stay the night in the area, this is it.

I came in on Amtrak and Harold was there to greet me by name.
Once in the lobby he showed me a sketch on display which was a layout of the property with planned developement. It was exciting. The next day I met Sally who is at the desk most mornings. She was so friendly and helpful and nice to talk to.
In fact everyone there was friendly from the manager "Maria" on down. The coffee is always hot and fresh. There are all kinds of books and magazines to read. The whole place is like a railroad museum from the lobby to the hallways and rooms.

And speaking of the rooms. They are very spacious and comfortable. The bed and bed linnens are wonderful. Everything you need is provided with an unexpected surprise being the rocker-recliner. This is so different than other hotels. Its like they are trying to bring a piece of home to you.

A good part of my day was spent at the lookout over the BNSF tracks. It is a great place to walk to as it is not too far but you can use a hotel golf cart if you need to. In between trains you can relax and read and listen to the birds. A lot of interesting people from all over the U.S. show up from time to time and as you make conversation you make new friends.

The "Red Rooster" is the place to eat. Not only is the food delicious ( the KC strip is excellent) it is also very convenient. And just like the at the Inn the people here are very friendly and the service is great. There must be someting in the water!
Don't be surprised if "Ruth" (the owner) is your waitress.

So if you thought of coming here but didn't yet, do it now. You won't be dissapointed. Don't be swayed by some of the other postings here. The only bad reviews come from the same group.
It's hard to believe they are talking about the same place because that sure was not my experience.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank RRfan72

Reviewed September 10, 2007

The Depot Inn and Suites is by far the most wonderful place I have stayed. The handcrafted wood work, the quaint train theme, the history and the natural beauty all combine to make the most elegant and relaxing environment. This small establishment has big things on the horizon! I traveled with my daughter (3), my sister, and my nephew (8 months). This establishment was the family friendliest place I have ever been. They had a playground, bikes, games, basketball hoop, pool table, and an amazing indoor pool that is best seen rather than described. We stayed in a standard room which would be a luxury suite at any other establishment and the staff generously let us sneek at peek at the themed rooms which are the most breath taking rooms I have ever encountered. I called my husband on the spot and informed him that he would need to be making our anniversary arrangments at the Depot Inn and to request the Victorian Suite. To cap off our wonderful stay, we were given a complimentary ride on a mini train around the propery. The conductor gave the kids each a train whhistle and they had the best time. I have told every person I have encountered about my trip and I am in the process of planning a great girls getaway weekend with some of my friends. This property truly has something for everyone!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed September 1, 2007

Mother and I just returned from La Plata, Missouri on September 1, 2007. The staff was friendly and very helpful. They will go out of the way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. The Depot Inn and Suites is northeast Missouri’s finest themed lodging and a wonderful place to take in the railroad ambiance.

In addition to the railroad-themed hotel there is a special area just for train watching which includes a wooden structure that houses a radio scanner so that railfans may hear the transmissions from dispatchers and train personnel. This lookout overseas the BNSF line below in which many freight trains and Amtrak travel on daily. It is called the “Chris Guenzler Millionth Mile Lookout Point” located across the way from the old Wabash line. (There are plans to re-build the Wabash Railroad and its depot just for the new resort). In the near future a new two-story building will be built that will allow people to enjoy the view in all types of weather and never worry about the outside elements.

We saw plans for a Rail Resort (expected to be completed in the near future). The resort will have its own train running on a track around the property and there will be unique stores, restaurants, and much, much more!

The hotel is close to the Amtrak train depot and by a major highway where thousands of vehicles and tourist buses drive. In the near future there will be an Amtrak Historical Society Exhibit.

Mother and I give the Depot Inn & Suites a Five-Star Gold Spike rating!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed August 6, 2007

My wife and I were in Kirksville for business. I had made reservations at the Days Inn in there. We checked in and went to our room. What a dump! Neither one of us said a word. We were lost for words. I immediately went to the phone and grabbed the yellow pages. I called the Holiday Inn and they were booked as were a couple of other hotels in Kirksville. The young man at HIE advised calling The Depot Inn & Suites in LaPlata. Luckily they had a vacancy. They were able to turn a disaster into one of the best hotel stays I have ever had. Very clean with a personal and warm staff. It was more like a hybred of a hotel and a bed and breakfast. We plan on returning to this place.

Stayed: July 2007

Reviewed August 5, 2007

This was our 2nd stay at the Depot Inn. We were just as impressed as we were the first time. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very clean, and the staff is warm and friendly. It is very well-run. Everyone we saw seemed to be having a good time, from the kids playing in the pool to the guests playing cards in the lobby to the folks outside taking a train ride! Tom and Kelly could teach a lot of "big city" hotels a thing or two!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family

#2 of 8 in Kirksville
Travelier Motel
Travelier Motel
#2 of 4 in Macon

Been to Depot Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!