“We love this restaurant!”
Review of Cafe Provencal

Cafe Provencal
Ranked #12 of 63 Restaurants in Kirkwood
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We sort of stumbled across it earlier in the year, and it's become one of our "go to" restaurants when we're in the area (particularly if we're on our way to a concert or show downtown).

Service is great, the food is excellent, and we've always lucked into being able to walk right in and get a table without a reservation.

The Saumon a la Moutard de Pemmerey (salmon with coarse grained mustard) and the Choucroute Garni (sausages, pork chop, sour kraut and potatoes) are two of my favorites - and the Salad Niçoise is amazing too!

Our only complaint is the food is so good (and filling) that we've yet to be able to try any of their desserts.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife was hankering for a quiet romantic bistro meal last night so I chose Cafe Provencal. I'm glad I did. We had been there before with mixed results. Last night was good, maybe the best of our visits. The place is small, dimly lit and not filled up, even though it was a Friday night. Quaint is a good word to describe this place, with a studied French country ambiance.

She had the Trout entree and I had Steak Frites. Everything was very good, especially the frites, though they were not hot enough. I had ordered my steak done medium rare and it came out medium. I know that does not sound so great, but I'm not a complainer and I enjoyed it anyway. The portion size was just right and the prices were reasonable, so all in all, it was a fine dining experience, not a great one, and we'll go back soon.

2  Thank ready314
Reviewed November 6, 2013

With my wife we enjoyed a Saturday evening meal in a busy restaurant. The food was quite good but the service was very poor. Seems as if the chef and the menu are very well done but the wait staff is not in the same class.

2  Thank BillParker
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I really enjoyed everything I had here at Cafe Provencal. The first thing that hits you when you walk through the front door is the delicious aroma of French food. The service was nice and the atmosphere was cozy. I wish their menu offered a few more choices. I'm not sure there was a vegetarian choice on the menu and everything was quite meat-centric. That's not a pro or con, just an observation. Their creme brulee was not my favorite because I believe it was served too cold. It's quite a small restaurant, so I would recommend reservations. Even with a reservation, we had to wait about 15 minutes. Overall, though, I left with a great impression and I will definitely be going back..

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Service was ok, food was very mediocre. Onion soup was extremely salty. Rack of lamb and New York Strip steak was chewy. Chairs were very uncomfortable. Would not go back.