“First visit”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013

With my wife we enjoyed a Saturday evening meal in a busy restaurant. The food was quite good but the service was very poor. Seems as if the chef and the menu are very well done but the wait staff is not in the same class.

2  Thank BillParker

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I really enjoyed everything I had here at Cafe Provencal. The first thing that hits you when you walk through the front door is the delicious aroma of French food. The service was nice and the atmosphere was cozy. I wish their menu offered a few more choices. I'm not sure there was a vegetarian choice on the menu and everything was quite meat-centric. That's not a pro or con, just an observation. Their creme brulee was not my favorite because I believe it was served too cold. It's quite a small restaurant, so I would recommend reservations. Even with a reservation, we had to wait about 15 minutes. Overall, though, I left with a great impression and I will definitely be going back..

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Service was ok, food was very mediocre. Onion soup was extremely salty. Rack of lamb and New York Strip steak was chewy. Chairs were very uncomfortable. Would not go back.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Having visited France many, many times I didn't have high expectations for Cafe Provençal, but agreed to go when my neighbors invited me there for lunch on my birthday. I thought I would keep things simple by ordering quiche with a cup of French Onion soup.

While the soup was decent, the quiche was another story. It was cut in a square, had no crust, and was so light and fluffy that it also had no flavor. I don't mind a restaurant doing their own interpretation of a dish - but if you're going to do this then call it something else. If I had known, I would have ordered something else. Though the problem was there wasn't much French food on the menu.

On the plus side, the Cotes du Rhine wine I had was very good and reasonably-priced at $8 for a generous glass.

The waitress was sweet and did offer a substitution, so I had a very "classic" French Caesar Salad.

So, I finally got to try Cafe Provençal and now I don't need to return.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place is in Kirkwood, MO, and it is located somewhat off the beaten path. We have discovered it probably like ten years ago, and have been going there ever since. It is small, and somewhat cramped, but in a way that makes you feel comfortable. The service is always friendly and professional, the menu stays practically the same for all these years, but in this case, it is a good thing, and we do not really want them to change. The wine selection is very good and even their least expensive, by the glass wine, is very good. You can also bring your own bottle and pay a very reasonable corkage fee. The food... It is just excellent. As a matter of fact, we have recently traveled to Provence and can assure you that the chef at Cafe Provencal would make that region proud. And we are going there again tonight to celebrate our parents fifty-fourth wedding anniversary.