“Best Steakhouse in STL”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Probably the best all around steak house in St. Louis. Have eaten at alot of steakhouses throughout the country - Charlie Palmers, the Palm, Peter Lugers, Gibsons, Mortons - and Citizen Kane's ranks right up there with the best of the best. The only thing preveting a full 5 star rating is the noise and space issues; can be a bit loud and a bit cramped but the steak can't be beat! I also like the fact that sides come with the meal and not a la carte. Recommend the rib eye. They do it right!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I dined here with a group of friends a couple of months ago. I honestly was not expecting much.. yeah .. another cute place in an old house, been to dozens of them all over the Midwest. Normally I am not impressed with the food in such places but what can you do? Upon arriving you notice that the neighboring homes are actually lived in. Big beautiful old neighborhood. The staff welcomed us warmly, the menu prices are pretty standard for an upscale steak house. The food however... WOW I had steak medallions with a burgundy mushroom sauce, in our group of 6 we all ordered different things... everyone one of us raved about the food. All in our 50's and 60's we are a well traveled group of friends. Never had everyone happy at one time. We will be returning on our next trip back to the city.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Dined here numerous times, and each meal has always been great! I don't eat much pork, but the pork chop is wonderful! Service is exceptional and great wine selection.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love the name and atmosphere of this place. Their steak is one of the best in St. Louis. It is located in an old 2-story house which is very cozy. The entire dinner was a delight--salad and vegetables. You didn't need a knife; the steak melted in your mouth with a charbroiled, smoked flavor!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been here many times over many years and it is consistently excellent.

This is far and away the best steak in St. Louis. And unlike most steak houses around the country (and in town) this is not a fancy place with exorbitant prices or a place where people go to be seen. It is in an old house off the beaten path and is very low-key. If all you want is a great steak, this is your place. If you want glitz and show and a boisterous martini-drenched atmosphere, this is not your place. The decor and atmosphere are low-key and unremarkable (Citizen Kane themes abound, the owner is Frank Kane), but do not detract from the main event.

A further note: this is the best value I have seen anywhere. For the quality of the meat and the consistently excellent preparation, this is more reasonably priced than any other place I have seen.

Further: an excellent wine list and consistently great service. Frank Kane knows his wines.
The bar is fairly minimal, so go elsewhere first if you want a bar scene. No outdoor seating (none needed).