“This hotel is nasty.”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kirksville
Omaha
“This hotel is nasty.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Someone posted this was a newer hotel but I find that hard to believe as our room was smelly and kind of nasty. The tub was gross...not dirty but just old and needed replacing. The bathroom area was all pretty gross and old and worn out. We've stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn Expresses and have never been disappointed. This one was exceptionally skanky.

The housekeeping staff also kept pounding on the door trying to wake us up so they could get in and clean the room. Scuse me, but after the guest says "no thank you" three different times, don't you just go away and stop waking your guests up? No such luck. Three door wake ups were followed by the phone calls. Too tired to get up for the phone we just pulled the pillows over our heads. But by the 3rd or 4th phone call, we gave up and told the person on the phone to stop bothering us. Honestly folks, use your common sense: if your guest wants their room cleaned they're going to let you in to clean it. If sleep is more important, they won't let you in to clean it. But the thing you need to get is that housekeeping exists to convenience the guests, not the other way around. Gah.

I personally can't stand Super 8 for the most part, but my husband is from Kirksville so we visit back home quite often. I shudder at the thought, but I guess we're Super 8 guests from now on.

WHY can't someone build a decent motel in this town? Or in the case of the Holiday Inn Express, at least bring the hotel up to corporate standards?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LizzieSueOmaha
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kirksville, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear LizzieSueOmaha,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found our location convenient. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior. Rest assured that your comments about the smell and the tub have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I made my reservation to Holiday Inn Express dated June 3 to June 7, 2012 which I clearly mentioned to the front desk, due to the planned activities with my son who’s studying in Kirksville. As I badly want to rest due to an exhausting long trip, I did not bother to read the information written on the form and signed it immediately. Not wondering there was mistake in my reservation.

Me and my family leave the hotel on June 6, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. to visit my son university and as a normal tourist, we visited the area nearby and went thru for shopping and dine.

I and my family arrived at the hotel at the night of June 6, 2012 at 10:00 p.m. and we found out that our personal belongings were removed in the room we occupied and this is not acceptable.

I want to point out the following:

1. Moving our personal belongings is definitely invading our privacy.
2. All the information was accepted by front desk, why she/he didn’t verify if the number i provided (International number) is acceptable. I offer my local number but she/he mentioned that is enough.
3. I’ve been travel a lot in many countries and such International Hotels didn’t pack all the guest belongings and move it in the reception. They charge the excess stay which I guess is more professional way of dealing your customers.
4. We are a tourist and we are not aware of the safety outside the hotel, I have my wife and 2 minors moved in the hotel which is unplanned. We feel very disappointed and uncomfortable on that night and you cannot blame us on refusing to accept your offer for another room because we have our reservation.

I believe that Hotel Staff should have waited for us and discuss the matter and we can be charged for the extra day of stay. We entrust our safety and comfort by selecting your hotel which, as far as I know, is one of the prime hotels in Kirksville, however, we were treated very badly and in a way we don’t deserve.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Abdullah A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kirksville, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Abdullah A,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Joel B
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Kirksville hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

My parents and I stayed here while in Kirksville for a high school reunion. We have stayed here before and had pleasant experiences but were disappointed in our most recent stay. Though the room was clean, the beds were horribly uncomfortable. Both the beds and pillows need to be replaced and have served their time. When we approached the front desk about this the staff member at the desk on that particular day was not at all sympathetic and could have cared less. Not a very good representation for the hotel chain. We were looking for them to at least take a look at the issue. After all, don't you at least want your customers to be able to rest comfortably during their stay?? We will not be staying here again, unfortunately. Instead, we will be staying 10 miles outside of Kirksville at the Depot Inn and Suites in Laplata, MO. We have stayed here before as well and they continually impress in all areas. Highly recommend them!!! And they are only 10 miles away! Small price to pay for consistently good service and accommodations.

Room Tip: Quiet stay but very uncomfortable beds.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kirksville, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear kcgirl34,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.

Katie J
Princeton, IL.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

We had 3 rooms booked as part of a wedding block on a weekend when a cross-country bicycling tour was also staying one night, When we arrived we had just a couple of hours to unpack, freshen up after a 5 hour drive, and get to the church. They didn't have any of our rooms available but they managed to get us into one of the three in a few minutes which saved the day. A second room opened up between the ceremony and the reception and the third room didn't become available until later but we managed. Each of the rooms we eventually got into was the room type we had reserved. This was a case of some helpful and honest people at the desk making us feel that they were doing their best and OK with the situation and it all worked out fine for us. The hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet and they have a great little pancake machine in the breakfast area that sound like a fax machine but makes respectable pancakes - the kids loved it. This could have been a very unpleasant stay considering the back-up but you just felt that they were doing their best and that helped.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We recently stayed in Kirksville awaiting the arrival of a new niece and decided to stay at the HIE. The location of the hotel was very convenient, although the parking lot is very small and hard to navigate with anything larger than a compact car :)

The lady who checked us in was pleasant enough, offering us a bottle of water and granola bar on arrival. We stayed in room 104 on the main floor. The room was nice with new furniture and clean bedclothes. I was disappointed in the bathroom which had no counter space at all, but this was because the room was handicap accessible and was the last room available. So, we made due with the small table and mirror in the room.

My son swam for a little while in the pool...not a large pool by any means, but clean and looked well maintained. When we got back to the hotel late and headed to bed, the room was very quiet and dark. The blackout shades were very nice and didn't let a peek of sunshine in the room in the morning.

Breakfast was nice with yummy hot cinnamon rolls, eggs, biscuits and gravy, and a make your own pancake station, among other things. It was a very good breakfast and the area was very clean.

The hotel offers a quick checkout and dropped the bill under my door in the morning.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and if we ever need a hotel in Kirksville again, we would stay there.

Room Tip: My only advice would be to avoid the accessible rooms if possible due to the lack of counter space i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1liltoot
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Physical hotel was great but front desk staff was horrible. You would think front desk staff would be personable, not here. First impression is everything and this hotel has two very rude employees representing them. I couldn't believe the disrespect and lack of interest, it seemed that they were angry when talking to people.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank KeLeigh J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kirksville, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear KeLeigh J,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We are you pleased you liked your room accommodations as well as our hotel location. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. I will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,
Jaime W
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Kirksville is not exactly challenging Las Vegas for hotel room quantity and quality. As has been said, there are not a huge number of options. A friend of mine booked a small block of rooms at the HIE for the weekend of a reunion. The place is fine.

First, understand something. I don't think there is a 5-rated room in Kirksville, and any rating is relative to the location. The HIE is fairly new, clean, the stuff in the rooms works and the breakfast is consistent with what one would expect at a similar hotel. As Shoe1 said, it is reliable.

Look, I'm not planning another trip to Kirksville just so I can stay at the HIE, but the next time I am in Kirksville, I will very likely stay at here. It's a good value, exceeded my expectations and is not likely to disappoint, unless you are expecting a $250/night room and experience at this price point.

It is what it is and it seems pretty good at it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank eMule
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirksville
Days Inn Kirksville
#2 of 6 in Kirksville
Super 8 Kirksville
Super 8 Kirksville
#5 of 6 in Kirksville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kirksville? Share your experiences!