“Just Average....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Blue Owl

The Blue Owl
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Kimmswick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just Average....”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I went to the Blue Owl while on a recent trip. The town of Kimmswick is a cute little town about 25min. from downtown St. Louis. The restaurant had a wait of about 45min., so we decided to checkout the dessert counter. The pies and cakes looked amazing. The waitresses all had on aprons and the decor had the feel of an old mid western home. It was decorated for the up coming holiday. We were paged when our table was ready. Our waitress was at the table in moments and explained the specials of the day and made several suggestions. She also suggested we have a beer or a glass of wine...it was 11am. She gave us a few moments to look overlook the extensive menu and was back to take our order. She tried to up sell every part of our order at least twice and continued to do so for the rest of the meal. I ordered the Reuben with potato salad and my companion had the Famous white chicken chili and we shared a slice of Levee High Apple Pie smothered in caramel and pecans, German chocolate pie( which was the best thing I had during my visit) and had one of their special ice teas. It took at least 45mins. for our food to come. I found the food to be...average, good but not great. I was very disappointed. St. Louis has so many Great restaurants.. I wanted to be able to say this place was great, but I can't. I will not be back.

Richmond Heights, Missouri
“Expensive pie”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I walked around Kimmswick today and it was cold a lot of the shops were closed the people who were there were very sweet and had a great time. Stopped by the Blue Owl to take a piece of pie home with me and stood at the pie display and no one could take the time to ask if I wanted help. Finally, a lady turned and asked me what I wanted and I could see the disinterest and so blurted out what I wanted and asked about a slice of one of the pies and it was six dollars or almost. Wow. I bought the banana cream and got home and it was ok but not " Oh, my this is great six dollar pie" cause a slice of pie was not cheap.

Orlando, Florida
“Delicious!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I went here with my husband while we were in St. Louis and it was so good! The roast beef and mashed potatoes was amazing!! We also had the chicken salad pie, which was really good. The tall apple pie is what always shows up as popular, which was really good, but the french silk pie was our favorite! I hope we can fit in another visit here before we leave. Also, the atmosphere was really cute!

Stafford, Virginia
“Good Food”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

The Blue Owl Bakery has good food, good service and good desserts. It's good but not great. I had a cup of their famous white chicken chili. My companion had a Ruben sandwich. There was a 45 minute wait when we arrived on a random Tuesday and once seated probably a forty minute wait for a cup of chili and a Ruben sandwich. We spit a warm Carmel and pecan covered sky high apple pie with ice cream and took home a piece of German chocolate pie and a piece coconut cream cheesecake. We also had a complementary sugar cookie- good, not great. It was all good but not great; it was not very memorable flavor-wise. Like I said middle of the road in every way in my opinion. I drank tap water and my companion had ice tea. Lunch was $82 plus a tip. Service was responsive but there was constant "upsell" to the point of it being a bit over the top. The wait staff dress in old time period outfits. The place was decorated for Easter. It was gaudy to me--all glitter tulle, fake flowers, ceramic bunnies and Christmas lights. The blue haired crowd loved it clearly; we were some of the only people under 45. Myself, given the price, I wouldn't go back. I can find "great" food for lunch for less than a $100.

Visited March 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Sweet treat”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Blue Owl bakery to pick up a few items for my wife for valentines day. The owner personally helped me pick out two items, chocolate covered strawberries and a giant ooey-gooey butter cookie. The treats were tasteful and the help was welcoming. A charming place to visit and hope I can go back to experience the restaurant as well.