“Deserts to die for”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Blue Owl

The Blue Owl
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Kimmswick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Moneta, Virginia
“Deserts to die for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

In September, we ate here late in the day on a Sunday. Excellent meal. Everything is homemade. I ordered a smaller meal in anticipation of eating a delicious desert. Disappointed that so many of the specialty deserts were sold out, including the famous "Levee-High Caramel Apple Pecan Pie!" Everyone in our group wanted to try this pie. Kimmswick, MO is a lovely little town with lots of specialty shops. Be sure to go early enough to enjoy the downtown and shops.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“what a fantastic meal we had there at the blue owl”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed with friends who live in missouri usa, they took myself and my partner to kimmswick for the day and we booked to go for a meal in the blue owl restaurant, what a lovely meal we had, we were so full we could not eat dessert!, the woman who served us were dressed up in clothes from eras gone by, it was lovely there, the best meal i have ever had, i had beef and mashed potatoe with onions, it was so filling

Birmingham, Alabama
“Good food, reasonable prices, and outstanding desserts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Lives up to the hype! Our first trip to Kimmswick my husband and I were shopping and could hear the names of people waiting being called over the loudspeaker at The Blue Owl and were afraid we would have to wait, but we walked in around 1:00 pm and were immediately seated. In our opinion, the best deal is "The Terrific Trio". There are 5 categories (Salad, Soup, Quiche, Sandwich, Dessert) and you pick one item from 3 of the categories. I chose a salad, sandwich, and dessert (1/2 Cobb Salad, Mini Chicken Salad Croissant, and Caramel Apple Pecan Pie). My husband had soup, sandwich, and dessert (Canadian Cheese Soup, Mini Smoked Turkey Melt, and Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie). Portions were large! My 1/2 Cobb Salad was huge (see the pic), my croissant was a small one, but had a huge portion of chicken salad on it, and the caramel apple pecan pie was about 8-inches tall and I was only able to eat about 1/3 of it. We also tried their Pumpkin Dobash Cake which was wonderful. Everything we had was delicious. The desserts were spectacular - I'd love to try them all! The owner, Mary Hostetter was very cordial. They sell cookbooks with different assortments of their recipes and I purchased two of them, one for the Canadian Cheese soup recipe and the other for the Pumpkin Dobash Cake recipe. We will be returning!

• Visited October 2013
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Went out of our way today to visit this little town and highly claimed restaurant. We had the Chicken Chili which was flavorful but arrived only lukewarm. They microwaved it and it was very filling. Also ordered the Ruben sandwich and it was nicely served, tasted good and adequate amount of corned beef. Of course we had to try dessert so we ordered the regular pecan pie which was great and tasted like mine. Also ordered strawberry-rhubarb pie with ice cream. It was a two crust fruit pie and the crust was good. The filling was like a jam, fruit unidentifiable, taste just ok. Total bill was $31.00. Outdoor tables not very clean. Service friendly. Would not go out of my way to visit here.

Washington, Missouri, United States
“An awesome resturant off the beaten path.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were highly recommended to try the Blue Owl, and we were not disappointed. The wait was a bit long, but that was to be expected, as the little town was full of folks. The décor was great, the dessert showcase was awesome to behold. We brought our dessert home, as we only live a bit over an hour away. The town is host to two big festivals, the Strawberry Festival, and the Apple Butter Festival. I don't think anyone would be disappointed in the food from the Blue Owl.