“Attitude is everything”

Ranked #50 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Gallipolis, OH
“Attitude is everything”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited with a group on a tour. When we arrived, clearly they were not prepared to check us in. And were pretty "snippy" about it. The following morning they were supposed to open the breakfast a half hour early for us. Again, they had an attitude. I am not sure if the breakfast staff had been told or not, but they caused us to be late all day. And they were not very friendly with us. Fast forward two days.... our group's charter bus was involved in an accident and none of us got back to the hotel until 1:30 am and some of us not until 3:30-4:00. This after we called the hotel from the hospital that was literally 5 miles away to see if the hotel shuttle could pick us up because no taxi service would. We were told no. So after a long night, yes we were a little on the late side getting downstairs to breakfast. The lady said, " you all need to get here earlier". We tried to explain the situation, but again, attitude. They did serve us. But overall I have to say, if the attitude and willingness to assist had been better it would have been a pretty good stay. Housekeeping was somewhat not up to par also.

Room Tip: try to find other accommodations
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank swet
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you incurred during your stay, it certainly is not our goal to unprepared & snippy with our guest. In checking it seems the front desk was not informed the entire group would arrive by bus at the same time which created the issue there. Our shuttle service is available from 7:00 am unitl 11:00 pm, and after this time we have no one available to run the shuttle. I understand this was completly frustrating your group as several were at the hospital from your tour bus acccident, but can assure you if we had a driver available at 2:00 am we would have been more than happy to pick your group up. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Kelly Kuns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Park Forest, Illinois
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here during a recent youth baseball tournament because it was the chosen hotel. Décor of the outside is typical of all Courtyard by Marriot hotels but the interior was just okay! Pricing wasn't bad for our 3 night say. We had a King Room with sofa. No refrigerator in the room. There is no TV guide channel in the rooms although the hotel information booklet states there is one. Minor issues with the room but the staff was very accommodating. Credit cards and debit/bank cards are preauthorized in case one didn't know despite the policy posted at the front desk only referencing the debit/bankcards having a preauthorization/hold. Food was simply okay. Limited free in-room Wi-Fi access is available! Can't wait to give my survey to the Marriot chain! I know they always expect the BEST from their hotels!

Room Tip: I hear the suites are better! Compare!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your hotel accomodations, unfortunantly with the hotel being sold out, our rooms with the refridgerators, and also all of our spares refridgerators were in use. It is standard for most all hotels to pre-authorized credit & debit cards to verify there are funds available for room charges. We appreciate you taking the time to proide us your feedback as it is only with comments such as yours that we can only improve.

Derby, KS
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is my second time staying at this hotel. Each trip was with family and it was to spend the weekend visiting and travelling to see the KC Royals play and visit the zoo. This is a very clean hotel and has nice amenities such as a bar that opens at 5pm, a small cafe that serves breakfast and dinner if you don't want to leave the hotel, a Starbucks and attentive staff. I like the location because it is close to Kaufmann Stadium and the Zoo. It doesn't have any other restaurants located real close, (with in walking distance), however within a 10-15 minute drive you can find a variety of eateries. I have to say I love the beds at this hotel. I slept very sound and loved the comfort of the mattress.

Unfortunately on this visit we had some issues. Upon arrival we were told that we had reserved all single king rooms and that they were all full and could not change us. They looked up the reservation and it had us as they said in a single king. However, we showed them our email confirmation which had us in a double queen. They honored that email and gave us the double queen which was nice although I wonder what customer didn't get the double queen they asked for lol.

Also, that night when we pulled out the sofa bed it was broke, we had to fix it on our own. Then we found out there were no sheets. The staff brought up sheets for us but no pillow case. Since it was already 1am we just dealt with it.

Other than those issues the stay was pleasant. I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Get the King Suite Rm 342 it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel, I would like to extend my apologies for the sofa beds linens not being in the room during your stay, as well as the couch breaking. It certainly is not a Courtyard by Marriott standard to have broken items in the rooms when our guests arrive. I do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback as it is only with comments such as yours that we can only improve.

Sincerley,

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed May 13, 2013

GCI Travel makes arrangements for soccer parents and players to stay at designated hotels, for which a "good deal" is provided. (We paid $209 for 2 nights). We located the hotel easily enough; just of "Holmes Road", (exit 74 off I-435). It was what you'd expect from a Marriott property, (at least on the face of things). I had read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor mentioning things like "suspicious folks and cars broken into." Well, Sunday morning proved that what Matthew S. (and others) had said was true. Just look at the photos. Nice to wake up to find your vehicle up on blocks...parked right outside the door! Eight (8) other cars had windows smashed and property stolen also. The front desk clerk told US that it was the first she'd ever seen, (having been there 9-10 months). Another staff member said surveillance cameras were ordered but haven't arrived yet. (As you can see, they could afford to put up a sign absoving the property of any and all liability.

Don't get me wrong; crime can happen anywhere, anytime to anyone. It seems irksome that patrons of this hotel are hit over and over and no steps seem to have been taken to address the issue. But for the lackluster "complimentary breakfast" the soccer teams indulged in, lack of a refrigerator in the rooms and the uncertainty of a working room door lock, the accomodations were splended! But will our teams ever stay there again? Not likely! Certainly, my family won't be there again...and WE weren't even victims!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments on our hotel, I do understand how important safety and security is to the hotel and our guests. I can assure you that with car breaks that occured in the past that we have made changes in our security & the way we conduct our security rounds, although professional thieves can do a lot in very little time and our security staff cannot be everywhere at once. Our hotel was not the only hotel in the area that had cars vansalizes this weekend, hotels with the most thorough security measures in place are still prone to crime. Again, thank you for your comments it is only with feedback such as yours that we can only improve.
Sioux Falls
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here this weekend for a soccer tournament to wake up this morning to 10 vehicles vandalized for merchandise including ours. Police said the area and this hotel is hit often. Wondering why Marriott has not improved security and if an employee(s) is involved in the planning. The hotel is tucked back with no major roads so easy target. Not sure what will happen with our incident and if Marriott will reimburse.
Some of the employees seemed shady but it was a decent hotel but wish we would have read comments from others. Don't leave valuable things in your car. These guys are fast and working in a group

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It is unfortunanat that we did have 6 cars broken into this weekend in our parking lot well as several other hotels within the Overland Park area. Our hotel does take security very seriously at our hotel and we have security that makes regular security rounds around the entire hotel. Although we do our best to make security rounds, professional thieves can do a lot within a few minutes. I am not sure what sahdy employees you have referred to but I can assure you we do background checks prior to hiring our associates, and I believe my staff to be very honest & reliable. Thank you for your comments it is only with comments such as yours that we can only improve.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed five days and enjoyed my time there. Room was very good, comfortable and well appointed, eg with iron and ironing board. However there is no fridge although you can apparently ask for one.

They don't have a full restaurant but they offer a cafe with a range of breakfast items as well as a partial range of meals for dinner and snacks. Prices are a little high here but not terrible. Free coffee is also available in the foyer at breakfast time.

They also have quite a good little shop which enables you to buy a range of foodstuffs - particularly after hours.

They also have a snow shovel which was very much needed during my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. In reading your comments I noticed your comment regarding refridgerators and we do have a number of our rooms that do include refridgerators, and several spares for our rooms that do not include them. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Kansas City.

Cairo, Missouri
Reviewed March 21, 2013

As you can see from my other reviews, I am not a picky person and have stayed at a variety of different places. Stayed at this hotel due to the proximity to the KC Zoo, and with a group of family members. Staff was very nice at check-in, rooms were correct, seemed very clean. Pool area was very nice. Beds were comfortable, balcony was nice. Now for the BUT......, we had a double queen room adjoining a king room. In the King room, on the dust ruffle, a condom wrapper. Does not make a group with young kids very happy. Had to give it a 1. Too bad because it was very nice, but that was unacceptable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank beachinfool
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our hotel and the room issues you incurred. This is not a Courtyard by Marriott standard to have cleanliness issues with our rooms and I can assure you that I have addressed this with my entire housekeeping department as well as my housekeeping manager. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel as it is only with comments such as your that we can improve our hotel.

SIncerely,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Days Inn & Suites Kansas City South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City - Grandview
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center
Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!