“Exactly what it strives to be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Kansas City South

Courtyard Kansas City South
Ranked #54 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
Walnut Creek, California
“Exactly what it strives to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I struggle with rating this hotel because it actually does pretty good at what it strives to be, a budget hotel with limited amenities.

Pros:
The hotel was very clean and neat. It looked recently updated and inviting.
The rooms look upgraded and had coffee makers and irons in the room.
The TV worked well.
The wireless internet is free and speed was acceptable until it went completely down.
The staff was friendly and accommodating.

Cons:
No refridgerator, microwave or in-room safe.
The mattress was too soft.
The location is terrible. It is not in walking distance to any restaurants or shops.
While I see other reviewers thought the food was good, I thought is was bad, microwaved food from a very limited menu. Since you can't walk anywhere to eat, this is really a shame and probably why I will not stay there again. The serving staff were very friendly but it can't overcome the food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel, I understand your frustration that we are in a location that is not within walking distance to restaurants / shopping, however we do offer a complinentary shuttle service to restauarants & shopping in the area. We do hope you will stay with us on your next trip.

SIncercerly,

Kelly Kuns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

If you are a solo traveler, it's probably not worth it to pay the extra for a room + breakfast, but if you're a couple, it definitely saves you money. I've eaten at quite a few hotel's "hot breakfast" bars and this one is by far the best because it's restaurant-style, cook-to-order breakfast. Very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay in our hotel. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel, as well as the food in the Bistro. The entire staff looks forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Kansas City.
Reading UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard for three days on a business trip. This was my third stay this year and the quality of service has been consistent and of a very good standard. The room was a good size and well furnished. The breakfast service was a little manic but the staff tried hard to please. My only issue is that the location is a little remote and there are no restuarant facilities or room service available so eating out is the only option.

Room Tip: I find that rooms on a higher floor are quieter than most.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments on our hotel. We are very pleased you have stayed several times this year and hope to see you again in the future. The Bistro just recently started offering the Bistro to Go option, you can conveniently place your order over the phone and pick it up to go. Thank you for choosing our hotel when you stay in Kansas City we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Goddard, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed recently after going to a Royals game. It was a very reasonable rate purchasing through the Marriott website and using our AAA card got us a small discount. I was already happy with the price, but asked for a room with a fridge for milk for our one year old, or an upgrade to a suite if any were available. My wife is a Marriott rewards member so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but we were upgraded to a suite for the price of a regular room. The front desk was very friendly and I was very pleased with the service.

I was very happy with the size and comfort of the room. Both rooms had a 32" LG flatscreen tv with decent channels. The room decor was modern and comfortable. Our room had both a microwave and tv. Our bed was comfortable and it was great to have a separate room from our son as he is a light sleeper.

We did not use the pool or hot tub but we could see it from our room. The view of the courtyard was also nice. The lobby was nicely decorated and modern. We felt safe at all times and it was very close off of I-435.

We enjoyed our stay and I will definitely consider staying here again when in Kansas City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FrankWichita
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Kansas City.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I too travel a lot and had the chance to stay here. Very nice welcome and clean room that is decorated nice.
Nice bistro with breakfast etc. serve Starbucks coffee but they have free coffee in the lobby in the morning as well.
Would stay here again with no second thoughts!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your cooments about our hotel, I am glad to see you enjoyed the hotel during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Kansas City.

Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I travel often for work and stay in hotels all the time. I am very picky and I find this hotel exactly all its suppose to be and more. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, spacious, decorated nice. I think I favor this hotel also for how its very calming it has a great relaxing ora

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding our how. We are please to see we are one of your favorite places stay in Kansas City. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

St Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed last night at this location. Every thing was just as you would expect from a Marriott Courtyard. I would stay again. It was very hot and the air kept the room cool. The Ice machine was gone on the first floor, yet I am sure it died and was in the process of being replaced. All in all, it was a nice stay. Unsure about the negative reviews here, as you can see the management takes each one to heart.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments for your recent stay in put hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we hope to see you on your next trip to Kansas City. Hopefully on your next trip the weather outside will be far less than the 100 degrees we have seen in the recent weeks.

Sincerly,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Days Inn & Suites Kansas City South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City - Grandview
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex
Aloft Leawood - Overland Park
Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!