“About average”

Courtyard Kansas City South
Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Overall, not bad. Not noisy at all, awesome lobby, and pretty clean room (except for the rust stain in the bathroom). I was especially impressed with the internal courtyard with lush landscaping and nice indoor pool.

The fitness center was pretty average with a few machines and a weight set. The TV on the treadmill I used was really messed up.

The staff was pretty nice, but nothing memorable.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and hope to see you on your next trip to Kansas City.

Sincerley,

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I like Courtyards by Marriott - usually. Two nights at this one, though, will leave me looking elsewhere for my firm's business needs in KC. Poor training, slipshod and borderline rude staff, inept housekeeping ("Oh, did you want your room cleaned?" the desk asked at 3:00 pm.), understaffed or overwhelmed "cafe" service, poor AC, my name left off my room after I provided it, difficulty obtaining coffee in the afternoon, staff running noisily through the lobby repeatedly - four times in 10 minutes this morning - in a spectacle to answer ringing phones, desk staff shrugging off continued problems, elevator broken twice, and a lack of normal, conventional hotel staff politeness - in the end it was just ridiculous, like a group of amateurs masquerading at offering hotel service, and not being very sincere about it. Cafe staff behind the cashier were nice - that's about it here, and not enough to make me want to risk another stay. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE, which is a shame considering the room, after I placed in one with a decent AC, was comfortable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else or in advance ask, "Are you sure it has a newer heating/AC service?" and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KSJGM
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. I would like to extend my deepest apologies to you for the substandard service your received in our hotel. We take pride in the service we provide here at the hotel being in the top 20% of Marriott guest satisaction surveys, and I can assure you the service you received during your stay is certainly NOT standard for our hotel. I appreciatate you taking the time to comment on our hotel as it is only with comments such as yours that we can improve out hotel.

Genera Manager

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed in this hotel last weekend while my dad was in St. Joseph's hospital. Was able to make a last minute reservation using Marriott Rewards points. The hotel was older but has been updated recently, especially the lobby/lounge. The rooms were comfortable and clean...exactly what I would expect from a Courtyard. There was even a little balcony to get some sun even though the views were of the parking lot. The hotel is hidden in a residential neighborhood, right off the freeway. Didn't seem like there was much to do around the hotel but it was extremely close to the hospital and that's all that mattered to me. I almost never watch pay-per-view movies but wanted to after a stressful day at the hospital...but sadly discovered that this Courtyard didn't have that option available. There are a lot more hotel options just a few exits up the freeway in Overland Park (including what looked like a newer & bigger Courtyard), but if the location works for you I think this property is a good choice for a decent night's rest.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay here and hope we see you on your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I so enjoyed my two night stay. Felt like I was sleeping at a coffee shop (all te new decorations). Considered sleeping in the lobby (so comfortable).

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank todolist
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at our hotel. I would like to thank you for choosing the Courtyard Kansas City South for your hotel accomodations, we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

The locations in an aging property that has been remodeled. My king suite was okay, but it did not have a refrigerator in my room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was pretty plain.I graded the location low because I am a Priority Club and H honors card holder. I paid $13.00 for a bowl of Cherrios, a fruit cup, and a cup of coffee. Then at night I ate a hamburger that was so bad that I have never eaten a burger that bad in my life. I think a gas station microwave hamburger would have been better. I will never stay at another Marriott property in the future. The staff was nice, but they told me they had a shuttle service from 6am to 10pm before I arrived. When I arrived they told me that the shuttle didn't leave until 8am. These inturupteed my plans by two hours which I think is bad service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob2222
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. I understand you stayed in a suite in our hotel, and had no refridgerator. All of our suites do have refridgerator in the TV cabinet in the room. I will follow up with maintainence to make sure they do not have any out of service and if so I will make sure it gets replaced so this does not happen again to any of our guests, as this is one of the amenities of our suites. I also understand you had an unpleasant experience with Bistro, I would like to extend my apologies to you it certainly is not a standard to put out food that our guests think is horrible. If you contact me directly at the hotel and give me your information I would be glad to issue a credit for your dinner.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments as it is only with comments such as yours that we can only improve.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had a large family reunion at the hotel because we were all attending a funeral nearby. After the funeral there was a glitch and we couldn't have the evening meal for 18 of us at my father's widow's house. The front of house staff manager, Mike, helped organise a meeting room where we could hold our meal. He and the other front desk staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating. They helped turn what could have been a disaster ($400 worth of purchased food) into a successful and memorable event for the family.
Thanks so much.
Rebecca

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay during a difficult time, I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope we will see you on your next to Kansas City. Thank you for taking the time post your comments I will make sure our entire staff knows thier service was appreciated by you & your family.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice and would definitely stay again. It's clean and comfortable, with a courteous and helpful staff. The hotel has a small bistro, business center etc like most Courtyard's, but there is a nice area to sit outside and most rooms appear to have a balcony with a table and two chairs. The location is convenient but the hotel is tucked back where there isn't a lot of drive by traffic. It's not within walking distance to a store, but everything is within a short drive.

• Stayed: March 2012

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and hope to see you on your next visit to Kansas City.

Sincerely

Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Ramada Kansas City
Ramada Kansas City
#76 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!