“Under construction was a joke”

Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City - Sports Complex
Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Fort Worth, Texas
“Under construction was a joke”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nasty! Stinky! "Under Construction" was a joke! No appologies for construction, rooms were filled with "powdery" substance from the construction, one public microwave that was filthy! Footprints that stepped in paint across our room floor, something splattered on our bathroom wall.One "working" elevator. Terrible way to represent! I have added pics i took along the way!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Reviewmomma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

1. Check us into room 426 - in the process of being remodeled
2. Moved us to room 611 - issue with this room
-Dirty earplug and wire in trashcan near fridge
-was told that the semifinal NCAA games would only be on in the Pub and blacked out in the room
-Clerk was getting sick in the office and another clerk announced that she was getting sick in the office
-Security door on Ground floor was not locked (the wind could blow it open)
- Old kids menu under the phone in plain sight
- Outlet in bathroom did not work
- Bottom outlet too close to counter so no way it could be used
- We were told the room was completely remodeled but there was a open junction box above the door and the closet had no trim so you can see sheetrock and uneven cut wallpaper
-The ground floor smelled of smoke
If I had not prepaid – we would have not stayed there. I will not even think about staying at your hotel again!
The morning clerk at least showed some empathy unlike the evening clerks that were laughing at all the issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Blank881

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel this is by far one of the worst hotels we ever stayed at. We booked a room on line for one night after 8 hrs of driving we arrived and checked in at around 1015 pm. We were booked in a king size room for 3 people my husband myself and our 17 year old son. I asked about switching our room to one with two beds the front desk clerk said the room has a pull out and if we needed a blanket to come and get one at the front desk. She then proceeded to give us a tiny dirty blanket. Then we went to the restaurant where the bartender told us they were closed after the front desk just told us they were open for 3 more hours. She said they only stay open if there are customers. I guess we were not customers. We said we just wanted a drink she was sitting down at the time about to eat her dinner. I guess! But she told us we could have a drink but we had to leave and drink it in our room. There were 2 customers sitting at the bar drinking why were they allowed to stay but not us. I guess we interrupted her dinner so we were not welcome. The hallways and our room was very dirty. This hotel is being remodeled so there is saw dust and drywall sand on everything and everywhere you are. The bathroom toilet was dirty from the last guest feces on the toilet, mold in the shower and drywall sand all over the bathroom floor, sink, coffee maker tables,even the hangers that we hung our coats on so our belongs got dirty and itchy. It does not cost tons of money to vacume sweep and mop, or wipe things off! The noise from the road is so loud it is very hard to sleep. Car alarms going off all night as well. As we were leaving in the morning we could see the renovations going on they are remodeling the rooms with all the drapes, beds, furniture, coffee pots in the rooms. Not a thing was covered! Workers standing on the mattresses sanding walls that is so disgusting. Then when we checked out the front desk clerk didn't even ask how our stay was. So I told her anyway she did not apologize for our discomfort. Worst customer service for a so called 3 star I highly recommend not EVER staying at this hotel. Horrible experience!!!!

Room Tip: Tip- Don't stay here stay across the way at the Drury Inn.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Barbara M
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Renovations are no excuse for poor quality. Your contractors don't clean up after themselves ..... no working pool no hot tub for 2 years....fitness centers equipment is all broken..and there wasn't even any "please excuse our mess" complimentary coffee in the lobby. Multimillion dollar renovation? Well do me a favor. Pick up a stack of newspapers and a large coffee maker and put them next to that microwave you have in the lobby for no aparent reason.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank itsmelibby01
KANSAS CITY MO
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had friends from out of town with kids so I got 2 rooms. I called at 1030am trying to get in early because we had two little ones that needed a nap. Bernadine who was very pleasant to talk to (sorry if I spelled that wrong) said that she would try to have one available by 12p but they had a booked hotel the night before (Big 12 in town). We arrived around 12p and waited with the kids for an hour then was told it would be another hour or two. so we went to coco keys across the street. We came back around 5p and was told by Tia that the pool was not working and they didn't have a hot tub and hadn't been working for a few days. So I was dissapointed that I wasn't told this earlier because with kids you're in the pool nonstop. Tia then kindly suggested another Choice Hotel(Quality INN on Noland i will give my review later) that had a working pool. She then graciously commenced to booking the hotel for us assuring the king room which was the only rooms left had a sleeper sofa. It did not:( So I was left for paying the higher priced queens for some reason. It was getting late so I accepted. Although I really think that Tia's heart was in the right place her partner hotel (Quality INN on noland) Was of no help and could care less that I was about to pay double. I think Clarion could've let us know when I reserved it or when I called or when I waited over an hour there for the room. So I guess this is more of a review of the customer service. Hope this helps

Room Tip: ask if the pool is operating and the construction is done
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gun Barrel City, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2013

First time at a Clarion
Location was good
Pleasant staff friendly.
Breakfast was good but not included with stay and prices are way high. Example is 8$ for pancakes.
This location has a restaurant pub attached both were closed at 1130pm
Room was recently remodeled and looked good they still have finish trim to do in closet.

• Stayed March 2013
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed March 13, 2013

LOTS OF NOISE INSIDE (Guests) AND OUT (I-70 and hotel lot)!! The hotel is being remodeled. Our first room had a broken heating unit..that we discovered. We told the desk clerk and she seemed annoyed by our request to change rooms. Also, she seemed annoyed that we checked-in during her shift. Housekeeping and Maintenance were excellent and helpful. Hotel is near I-70 and has LOTS of noise! Can't imagine how bad it would be during a sporting event. Area around hotel and nearby seemed seedy. Hotel might be good for sports fan adults only!

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin and lots of noise from I-70..not sure what room, if any, would provide a restfu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JoeB118
spastor71, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City - Sports Complex, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your previous stay at my hotel! We will be completed with our renovation in the next 30 days and I hope you come back and see us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Best Western Truman Inn
Best Western Truman Inn
#5 of 18 in Independence
Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City - Sports Complex? Share your experiences!