All reviews speak easy power and light district speakeasy bar front desk diamond members beautiful hotel sprint center free trolley valet parking valet staff corner room modern amenities beautiful lobby king room boutique hotel shuttle driver two blocks
Selected filters
Reviewed November 14, 2017

Beautiful hotel but the room cleanliness needed some attention, the banquet service wasn't great, the food was so-so, and I had an absolutely horrible experience with the valet parking service. Not a great set-up for conferences.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Mark K, General Manager at Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2017

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I will follow up with our Banquet, Housekeeping, and Valet team. these are not the comments I expect to hear. I do apologize for not presenting you with a wonderful experience. We work very hard to ensure each of our guests enjoys their stay. I do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed November 13, 2017

To start the hotel was beautiful and the location was very desirable. On check in I tried to clarify the rate and room, and was told there was nothing they could do but to stop back in the morning and talk to the accounting person. In the morning I went and asked for the girl who I was told to talk too, and was cut off several times by an extremely rude British woman (I did not get her name). after trying several times to explain what I was asking and getting cut off mid sentence I gave up and wished I had listened to the reviews about the staff. My wife and I went about celebrating her Birthday and decided it was better to just take it up the tailpipe and enjoy our weekend than waste another minute with a person who didn't have any interest in listening or trying to resolve the issue.

Room tip: High floors if you want any view
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank blushu

Blushu,

I am very sorry to hear of your experience with us. This is in no way our expectation of our team. I will follow up with the team. You 100% satisfaction should be our only concern. I apologize for this experience. I do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future. Happy belated Birthday!!!!

Reviewed November 12, 2017

The horel is nicely decorated and the rooms are pretty. If views are something you care, make sure you request it as you could end on a room with a brick wall view.
Each floor has an ice maker with a water filter machine which it is very nice so you don’t need to buy bottles of water.
The hotel water from the shower takes some minutes to warm up; also, I the rooms heater was challenging to set it up as the weather outside was cold and needed to be warm. Overall, I liked the hotel and it was much better than other near hotel chains. I would defined stay again!

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to review the property. We appreciate the kind words. We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed November 8, 2017

The Hotel Phillips is a vintage property, and had recently, when I stayed there, become part of Hilton's Curio portfolio. Well located just a few blocks from KC's Power & Light District it makes for a central location in the downtown area.

The hotel appears to be well maintained, but the time was having some hiccups with respect to adhering to Hilton's standards. The complimentary breakfast offered to Hilton Diamond members was lackluster, amounting to nothing more than individually boxed cereals, store bought danish and less than fresh fruit plates. After the first morning we chose to simply have coffee the rest of the time.

I was quite impressed with the energetic welcome by the young lady working the front desk when I arrived. Unfortunately the rest of her colleagues were disappointing. Young, pretty and completely clueless for the most part. After my first night, the room was not serviced until after 6:00 pm, and that was only after repeatedly bringing the situation to the front desk's attention. When I first brought this to their attention at 4:00pm, I was crisply told, by a young woman with an English accent, that the housekeepers had until 5:30 to get to the rooms. Sorry to bother you miss...

When asking if a later check out was available I was told the hotel was sold out and it was not possible. OK, that's an acceptable answer, but was then able to have Hilton reservation actually book me an additional night so .... I guess they weren't that sold out.

I was able to have a friendly conversation with one of the employees who related that the hotel had only recently transitioned to being part of Hilton's Curio group. The owners of the hotel were new to the higher end of the hotel scale and more used to having lower end properties. In short they were still trying to find their way. Let's hope they find their way soon and pass it on to the young millennials working at the hotel.

Room tip: If you want to have a drink in the speakeasy underneath the hotel, go early as guests don't have any priority for getting a seat
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Mark K, General Manager at Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2017

Thank you for your response, and for being our guest. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and its central location, and had a nice check-in experience. Currently Curio does not have a standard for Hhonors members' breakfast and we are looking into different options that benefit everyone. We will definitely address the other things you mentioned with those departments. We would love to have the chance to host you again in the future and show you our high levels of service.

Reviewed November 7, 2017 via mobile

I do not want to say this was worst hotel to stay at, but it definitely could use better staff and polite people who actually care about their guests.

1. They automatically disable your key card the morning of your expected check out date. One would expect their key card to work if they left for breakfast before checkout [ 11:00 am ] time, and came back to their room to get ready to leave.

2. There were couple of good people at the desk at night time, but the day of checkout , or morning staff was particularly rude. As my key card was disabled before checkout time, I went downstairs to find help so I could get my luggage and the girl at front desk enabled it. I went upstairs to check if it worked but it didn't, so I again went downstairs. This time she seemed frustrated more than me and just handed a guy some master key asked me to go upstairs with him, so he could open the door for me. All this while, my colleagues were waiting for me to join them for breakfast and at this time I decided that I can't just keep them hanging on for me. So I didn't head upstairs and rather went up to her that I would collect my luggage from my room once am back and if she could let me checkout at noon instead of 11 am. It was Sunday morning and pretty much everyone was leaving , so I know they didn't have scarcity of available rooms.

3. The room was weird and I found the mattress very uncomfortable and almost as if it was used for a long time as it was hanging from sides. The room had a pillar right infront of bed and that kind of separated the access to the bathroom which was next to bedroom. I wishes they had given me a better room, they had better rooms as I saw rest of the team did get better rooms and we all were booked to have same category of rooms.

Last, I just want to say, that its an old building and i do not expect a lot from it, but it would have made the experience better if only the staff was polite and listened to people when they were talking to them at the front desk.

Here is 2 photographs of the sheet that was definitely not changed before the room was assigned to me and had to wait until next day to get it changed - i dont know what those spots are but am sure i didnt ask for them on my sheets!!!

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank Ankur a
Mark K, General Manager at Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2017

Ankur,

I am very sorry to hear of these encounters with our team. I will follow up with team to understand what happened. I do know there was a glitch with our key system and not rolling over during the daylight savings switch. I know it was disappointing and frustrating. Please accept my apologies. We are very appreciative of your business.