WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Phillips

Hotel Phillips
Ranked #43 of 113 Hotels in Kansas City
Shawnee, Kansas
“The Service and Staff are top notch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed two nights during the Big 12 tournament and St. Patrick's Day weekend and we never had to wait or want for anything. The front desk staff greeted us every time we returned to the hotel and the Valet staff was exceptional. They even shuttled us back and forth to the Parade. We ordered room service breakfast both mornings and the servings were huge and the food was great. I highly recommend the biscuits and gravy and the fresh squeezed orange juice. We had an Executive King room and it was just the right size. The bed was very comfortable and the TV was a nice size and swiveled so you could view it from the bed or the sofa. It's nice to have complementary Wifi, which worked great with my iPad, but was too slow tp use my Roku with the TV. I've stayed here before and keep coming back because of the excellent staff. Also - you can't beat the location or the ambience.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
So pleased to hear of your experience on a very busy weekend in Kansas City. Thank you for the feedback and we certainly hope to see you here again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at the Hotel Phillips. The location is ideal for downtown events. It is far enough away from the Power and Lights District that it is not noisy at all, but still an easy walk. The service is wonderful and prompt. My only complaint would be the bathrooms are a little small.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are very pleased to see you return to our hotel. As our building has many sized rooms and bathrooms, and some bathrooms have windows! My very favorite room is often not viewed as choice because of street noise or size, however, love the sunshine. Ask to see an 05 series.
Kawasaki, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed 5 nights for attending a trade show. My room is very large with a king-size bed, which made me feel better than at home. The room is kept very clean every day. I had a room service which was delivered very quickly when I got after 10PM.
The location is just perfect for people who came for trade shows in the convention center which is 3 minute walk from the hotel, and 1 min to a beautiful super market (I forgot the name... it was like Whole foods in KC.)

The only problem was the room temprature. I had read the article by FL-Billy just before arriving and it was just what he (she) says about the 2nd room. I tried to warm up the room but the temprature remained always 62.

I think it was not a major problem and hope this improved on my next stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We are sorry the room temperature was not satisfactorily improved for your comfort. There can be several efforts needed for correction, as the system works very well, but we obviously did not correct during your stay, however we do appreciate the positive feedback from you.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was always clean. Convenient downtown location with several restaurants within walking distance. The bed was quite comfortable. My only complaint would be that the towels were a little rough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments! We hope to see you again while visiting Kansas City.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a pretty nice hotel in a great location! The vallet service was very nice as well as the front desk. The rooms are lacking a bit. The only mirror is in a tiny bathroom... Hard for 2 people to get ready. But the hotel has a very classy feel. The complementary wine at night is a wonderful touch! I would stay out of the restaurant! We had an awful experience at breakfast! Waited an hr for over priced bacon and eggs, out order was wrong, and the service was awful! We couldn't even get a drink refil!

• Stayed February 2013
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are glad that you refer to us as "classy!" We try hard to provide top of the line service and are sorry that you had a bad experience in our restaurant. We take all of our comments very seriously to help improve our services. Thanks again!
Hannibal, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

From our first experience at Hotel Phillips checking in at front desk I could tell this hotel puts a lot of emphasis on customer service. I had read in some reviews that some of the rooms were small and only had one night stand rather than two. I asked if it was possible to get one of the larger rooms. The manager, Usman Iqbal, happened to overhear our conversation and was kind enough to upgrade us to a small suite for the same price.
We had an unpleasant experience at the bar/restaurant our first night ( being ignored) and when I mentioned this the next morning at breakfast , the staff, namely Kallan, bent over backwards to make sure our second experience was better; and it was, much better.
I would definitely stay here again, good location and the effort to improve there reputation is very apparent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am very pleased to hear of our staff's attention to your experience, as we try with all. Thank you very much for sharing.
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

What a neat down town building in a great location. When you walk into the lobby you expect your rooms to be grand. When I walked into my room I was surprised that I had paid over $200 for a at best Holiday Inn style room. The bathroom was so small I could barely get in. The bed was average at best. The rooms were small and drab. These issues could all have been remedied with some snappy decor some stylish paint and some up to the quality furnishings. A little more investment could bring this place up many notches.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your feedback. We have many room types, from 175 - 400 square feet, and recognize not everyone's need for space will be satisfied. We try to carefully anticipate needs when rooming guests, and are sorry we did not make yours perfect.