“Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
“Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I was a guest at the Hotel Phillps in Kansas City, Missouri in May of 2010. I returned to my room and was washing my feet in the hotel when I fractured my broke my humerus and fractured my scapulla. I went to the hotel manager and she gave me a piece of paper saying they would accept this voucher and the hotel would pay for it. I came home to Colorado and had to have surgery. The hotel has refused to pay any of this bills claiming the have no responsIbility. The support and caring of thieIr guest is not high on there priority list., so I would suggest to anyone that is considering staying there if anything out of the usual may occur do not anticipate the hotel will accept any responsiblity.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shottzy1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as a last minute addition to our trip to Chicago (we drove from Albuquerque) and were completely blown away by how beautiful the hotel was. Art deco, recently remodeled. Rooms were clean and stylish. The staff was lovely--very nice, helpful and very proud of their hotel and city. I am a photographer and was very pleased when they permitted me to take photos of the lobby area. We had were on the 17th floor and had a great view of the city. We never considered that we would want to visit Kansas City, but will certainly be returning to KC to stay at this hotel and explore the area. Wonderful surprise.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beantown54
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

...as a frequent traveler, I had hoped staying at a 'boutique' hotel would offer a more initmate and unique experience. Service, common areas, and room condition and cleanliness were ok, but only at the level of say a Hampton Inn ..nothing special. Also walls are VERY thin. I had the unfortunate experience of have very loud people on the other side of me (this was a 3 am no less) and front desk would not offer another room nor did anyone ask the loud party to shut up.

location is great and one can park on the street for free pretty close. No Pool either. For the money, I would recommend Hyatt regency or Westin just up the road.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank dave k
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My family and I stayed here and loved it. It is a lovely, restored old hotel with character. The room was very comfortable and clean. Every staff member we came in contact with was very friendly and helpful, and the restaurant was wonderful! It can take a few minutes to retrieve your car from valet, so allow time for that, but otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MelBeck03
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My daughter and I took a quick trip to Kansas City recently and stayed at the Phillips. It was right after the first of the year so it was very quiet in the downtown area where the Phillip hotel is located. Though we paid only a fraction of the normal hotel rate, we received top rate service from the staff during our stay. Our upgraded room was very spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable making for a couple of great nights of sleep. There was no coffee maker in the room but there was complimentary coffee in the lobby until 10:30 so my addictive needs were satisfied. Also the hotel was in walking distance to many of the downtown area sights so we did not even use our car while we were there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank esor2
Branson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Do not let anyone steer you to another downtown hotel....this is the best. Close to the Marketplace in old down town Kansas city. Kind, friendly staff, excellent management.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank QueenieJeanne
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Stayed here during a business trip and got a great price through Priceline - $70/night. For $70/night, it was very good, but my review is based on normal cost.

The good: Great bed, location (near Main Street in downtown), recently remodeled (decently done), common areas were nice.

The bad: Smell of chemicals in the room that didn't go away, wi-fi didn't work, valet took forever, coffee was out in the morning, restaurant beer was flat.

The room was worth the $70. I wouldn't pay much more than $130 for standard rates given my experience. Had the small things been better (wi-fi, coffee, beer, valet), I'd say it's more of a 3.5 star place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business