Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #54 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Nice stay!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

this hotel is centrally located between the crown center and the plaza. great location, quite, and clean. it has a nice outdoor pool that my kids and i swam in. front desk was very accommidating and friendly. would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

Stayed here for two weeks while at training for work. I had no choice in picking hotels but was told by others who had been here this place was ok. i tend to disagree. First of all, the service checking in was horrible. there was one clerk who was on the phone, a personal call, for several minutes and did not even address me. my initial room smelled like stale something.....just stale and icky like old smoke even though this is a nonsmoking room. i was moved to a different room which seemed fine. on my fourth night decided to stay in and cook, and to my surprise the stove flat out did not work at all. it was plugged in, but just did not work. maintenance came in and tinkered with it, and finally left after an hour.....and this was in late evening. i was again moved to another room. this was a room where i was unable to retrieve my messages on the phone so that was an issue for an entire evening while i again waited for repair. this was repaired the following day. the breakfast is ok, the drinks are fien for free. the light dinner is nothing to write home about......don't think you are getting much when it is more like canned soups, bagged salad mix, or hot dogs and chips. yuck. overall it was just ok. i have stayed in much better marriott chains and r.i.'s i would not come back here at all and i would not recommend it to others, mainly due to slow service and the fact that alot of things seem to be in need of maintenance and repair. also the previous report of bedbugs just makes my skin itch and i can only think that they are in my room also, even if i didn't see them. i think the hotel overall needs an update and the staff might need a bit of an attitude adjustment.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

Residence Inn is conveniently located about 5 minutes from Crown Center area and 10 minutes from the Plaza district. At check-in the Front Office associate was friendly and checked me in promptly. Less than 5 minutes from walking in the door till I was back in my car on the way to my room.

Room was spacious and clean! It appeared the room was recently painted and the beds upgraded. The bed was very comfortable and made for a good nights sleep. Kitchen area, plates, cups, and utensils were all clean and ready to use. There was a TV in the living room (chair w/Ottoman and couch) plus another in the bedroom.

New decking materials were just installed for the steps and deck areas. Overheard while at the Front Desk was that this property is undergoing a renovation.

Breakfast offered in the moring was excellent - both hot and cold foods. Each evening guests were invited to stop by for hors du ovres, beer/wine, and soft drinks. The one evening was BBQ

Very nice alternative to a traditional hotel room.

• Liked — Quiet downtown location
  • Disliked — None noted
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
okc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

Had to stay in the hotel for 3 weeks, June 9th, 2008 thru June 25th, 2008. Around June 17th, I got up to get ready to go to work and had numerous red, extremely itchy bites all over. At first I thought may be it was a reaction to laundry detergent from the sheets. As days passed and bites and itching go worse even after I washed the sheets and all my clothes I still had the same problem in fact continued to get even worse , I knew it was something other than the detergent. To make a long story short, after going into my bathroom and seeing the bugs crawling on the tile floor I spent my last night there sleeping in my truck. The next morning at check out, I let the manager on duty photograph the bites, filled out an incident report and was told that EcoLab would be called to check the handicapped room that I was in. I called back the next day to inquire about the EcoLab findings and was told they didn't find bed bugs but sprayed the room. I know what I saw and I know the suffering I have endured. I went to a dermatologist and after a biopsy and 3 stitches it was confirmed as BED BUGS. I've had to have a steriod shot, dealt with extreme itching and embarrassment. My compliant has went to Marriott corporate who more less told me I got my bugs from somewhere else, which I stayed in their hotel exclusively for the entire 3 weeks and saw the bugs with my own eyes. So unless you want to suffer from extreme discomfort and have Marriott ignore it, I wouldn't stay there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — BED BUGS and Marriott Corporate's attitude toward the incident
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank snoogz
FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

We were able to get a good AAA rate of under $100 which is much cheaper than anything else we found downtown. This was especially a great deal because we could cook and get groceries and save money. It is very expensive in KC, as a tourist.

The hotel was clean and freshly painted. I like the art in the room. The breakfast had a cold and hot bar (ended at 9:30am though). There was a FREE keg of beer, grocery store wine, and a snack put out in the early evening each night. We typically were not home, but others used it daily and socialized with other guests.

Downsides are related to the room layout and cleaning services. The toilet has no fan and the stink will not clear from the room. The windows are on the other side of the studio. If you take a shower is will clear too the hotel soap is great and smells SO NICE. We kept the windows open 24/7 for another reason too. The cleaning people are OVERLY THOROUGH. They go over every surface with pledge disinfectant (including the outside of your door. The smell in the room is SICKENING...We watched then do this to every room every day. If you are looking for a sterile place, this might be the place for you. If you hate the smell of perfumes, then you will have a lot of trouble. We asked for no cleaning and after the second day with our windows open 24/7 and the heat blasting the room was cleared of the perfume and it was nice.

The other downside was that there is NO DRESSER. This hotel attempts to house guests for longer terms and their is no place to store clothing!!! There are a couple tiny drawers under the TV and one on the night stand (with papers in them). All in all, I was not able to comfortably live (see candid photos). I needed shelving in the closet, many more skirt hangers, or a FULL DRESSER. Frustrating is was the fact that the hotel lobby had the matching full dresser (standing empty)....Perhaps other rooms have dressers, but the studios don't. This is a major oversight in my opinion.

All in all this is a good place to be if you want to cook instead of eating out every night. It is centrally located. The neighborhood around it was fair (new developments). There are a few bars and clubs about 4 blocks away, so you can go out on the weekend and not drink and drive. There is a bus stop across the street (one stop from Union Station). It would be a good place for families (get a larger room). The hotel staff is very nice and they will give you any toiletry you need FREE if the airport takes anything. Expect a basic living experience and you will enjoy your stay.

P.S. There was free wireless internet and parking (both hard to find in KC!)

• Liked — The shampoo and art on the walls. Mattress was pretty great too!
  • Disliked — The lack of a fan in the bathroom and thick perfume of cleaning supplies
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

I accompanied my wife to a Silpada conference in July. Shipped my bicycle to the hotel in a large box, which they stored and then delivered for me, took back and coordinated shipping when I left. Kudos to the staff for handling this in a friendly and courteous manner.

We used Marriott Reward points for the stay. Handled smoothly.

The other staff were all courteous and friendly. The room itself was fine, a typical Residence Inn experience. The room was cleaned regularly and we had no issues. I'd stay there again...in fact, will probably be back next July for next year's conference.

• Liked — Good value for the money
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

My colleague and I have to stay/work in the KC are for the next 8 months. We were presented the opportunity for corporate housing, and that was the direction we were going... until we found Union Hill. We have been staying there for 3 days per week for the last 4 months, and whatever mishaps do occur, they are quick to remidy. Food is OK... for FREE. Wine and Beer as an evening free beverage...PERFECT. Add this to a 100% smoke free environment and wow!!! Just say ahhhh!
Oh, and free wireless internet, big clean rooms with clean beddings. Not exactly the same can be said for a Major Player down the street.

Stayed April 2007