“It was okay but could use some remodeling.”

Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #58 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“It was okay but could use some remodeling.”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at a number of Residence Inns all over the states. This is probably the least desirable one I've been in. Toilet was constantly running, neighbors loud and kids running around.
The morning breakfast was decent and there was plenty of seating. I won't come back to this one.

• Stayed October 2013
Paige S, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, we will use it to improve. We apologize that the toilet was running as well as for the busy hotel causing you inconvenience and disruption. Very glad that you enjoyed our free breakfast and spacious seating.

Paige Southard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We made reservations for 14 people for 3 rooms. Check in was at 3 but we didn't get there until a little after 4. We were throwing a bachelorette party for my niece & we had dinner reservations at 6. The rooms were partially cleaned & we had to change our dinner reservations b/c there would be no way we could get ready in time for dinner. We voiced our concerns about the displeasure of the rooms not being ready & the front office staff was rude & lacked customer service. They treated us like it was our fault the room wasn't ready. Well we stood our ground & then we got to talk to a manager. She comped the penthouse at no charge & later a woman came by each of the rooms w/ a bottle of wine. At this point the damage was done & it was a little to late to make up for the rooms not being ready & the rude attitude.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you very much for your correspondence. We are very sorry that your rooms were not available upon arrival. We apologize for the inconvenience and your disatisfaction. We realize that our tokens of apology do not make up for a poor start to a special event. We have also sent a certificate to another in your party for the newlywed couple to have a complimentary night, perhaps on their anniversary. We hope the rest of your visit and the wedding were wonderful.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am use to a smaller room at Residence but this particular location has very spacious rooms. I walked in and on the left is a full size kitchen and office area. On the right is a good size sitting area with full size couch chair and entertainment center. The king size bed straight ahead and to the right of that a empty space big enough to jazz-er-size in with three friends. To the left of the bed is the entrance to the sink area and the door to the bathroom and shower. Very nice layout. The closet is adequate but does not have a light. At night it may be difficult to spot a black shirt. Bring an extension cord for bedside if you have many items to plugin ie computer cell phone etc.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks so much for your review! Being with this brand for four years, I have visited many of our hotels and also have not experienced the space our guests enjoy at this property. So glad you enjoyed it.

Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at several hotels in the area, and this one is just as nice or nicer than all the others. Although I only stayed here for two nights, I would highly recommended this hotel to anyone who needs to stay in town for an extended time. The way the hotel is situated, the exterior room entrences are very private and you feel like you are more in a nice apartment complex, than a hotel. Our room was very well appointed, spacious, and so extrememly clean. I travel a lot and I have to say this place stands out as being one of the cleanest properties I've visited. There were 3 of us staying in the room, and the one King bed, plus the sofa sleeper allowed us more than enough room. The kitchen and business desk area were also spacious and very functional. The staff was great, always pleasant and willing to assist. There was a security guard, who was visible in and around the property each evening. The pool area was small, but fine. The free breakfast was very nice with many choices, but the breakfast room, although large, was not adequate in size for the large weekend crowd. The location of this hotel is ideal if you have a car. It is situated right in the middle of everthing. Go one way out of the parking lot and your're minutes from Westport area, Country Club Plaza, and the art museum. Head the other way and you'll see Crown Center and Power n Lights district. If you dont have a car, there is a local shuttle available. If planning to do some exploring on foot, I would choose a different hotel, more adjacent to some of the sites. All in all, it was the perfect hotel for our stay, especially for the bargain price I won it with on priceline...only. $60/ night! Regular price is $129.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very glad that we provided clean, spacious accommodations and that you enjoyed our staff, location and shuttle services. Please visit us again soon!

Des Peres, Missouri, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as a weekend away from our kiddos. It is a great hotel to bring them back to as it has plenty of room for everyone! The bad thing was that whoever was in the room above us was apparently rearranging the room at 2am and I was up till 6am with the noise they were creating from moving and dropping items. Next visit will need a room on top floor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa A
Paige S, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We are so glad that you found our hotel a good value for your getaway! We deeply regret that your neighbors disturbed you, our apologies. We are very glad to hear that you will be returning to our spacious suites with the whole family, we look forward to your visit.
Wichita, KS
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The people at the hotel were very nice and accommodating to my family; however, that was about the only real positive I could give this property. One of my biggest issues was that they stopped serving breakfast on Sunday morning at 9:30 - can't even remember the last time I was at a hotel that stopped breakfast so early on a weekend. Also, they were bordering on being overwhelmed during breakfast. They kept running out of food and even coffee (twice).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank C21A3
Paige S, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We are very glad that our staff was nice and accommodating to you and our family. We apologize that our breakfast got busy. It sounds like you may have visited right at the end of breakfast which is the busiest time. Thank you very much for your feedback and for choosing Residence Inn by Marriott.
Seaside, California
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This property is located a short distance from downtown KC (and also a short walk from a Gates Bar-B-Que!). It was clean and well managed, except for the day housekeeping curiously failed to replace our towels, a simple oversight I assumed. I loved the convenience of the fully-equipped kitchen and suite-like living room. I'm not sure why but there was no ice machine to which guests had access. I had to ask a breakfast attendant to go into the kitchen and fill my cooler for me. She was busy with breakfast and reluctantly (with a sigh and rolling of her eyes) agreed to do so. The property had nice grassy areas designated for my dog. I could see where this hotel would be most suited for an extended stay or a family wanting to take full-advantage of the money saved by utilizing the room's kitchen for their meals (but you still MUST try Gates BBQ at least once!).

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Conmaker
Very glad that you enjoyed our hotel. I just had Gates BBQ for lunch!