“Nice staff clean room but layout bothered me...”

Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I give the staff a five! I do have to say that even after getting a special rate I can not see how this place should ever be over 100$ a night.

The design is laid out like an apartment complex and gave me a bit of a unsafe feel. something about walking down stairs where no one can see you I did not like. The rooms are clean and I had a lower level unit which also had a walk out patio that was very small and had no chairs or tables and it looked like no one had been out there in a long while. Now at no time did I feel unsafe but I would not want my wife staying there alone. The location is in a nice area with close proximity to anything you would need.

The lobby area is nice and the reception time with food and drink was also nice. I decided to order pizza while there and the staff offered to drive me back and forth to get the pizza but I chose delivery. This Inn is very close to Children's Mercy and they provide clean pack and plays for the little ones. I was there with my wife and son for a surgery so this wan not a business trip of vacation.

I was very close to giving this 4 stars and I want to let you know that this is a clean place and the staff works hard to accommodate your needs, but I just don't like the lay out. I will also say the shampoo and conditioner they give you is very very small so you might ask for a couple at check in. My wife has longer hair. (Not like Crystal Gail) But there was no shampoo for me :-(.

The kitchen area is nice and if you where staying for business for a few days and don't mind the apartment feel, this might be a good choice for you!

Room Tip: They offer a discount for people going to Children's Mercy hospital and it is about a mile and a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jwks
Paige S, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thanks for the 5 for the staff! Please let us know next time, we are happy to provide extra Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner so there is extra for you and thanks for the laugh! We do have different room locations and can work with you on your preference. We hope that your son is doing well after his surgery and that you can come back to see us for fun next time.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Took a road trip to Kansas City MO to explore the BBQ & jazz scene with my sister. Our father was a jazz musician so that is what attracted us to this area. Stayed at the Residence Inn/Union Hill for 3 nights & found it to be everything we needed & more. We were concerned about the area of KC per a Trip Advisor review we had read. Well we found it to be a safe & conveniently located close enough to everything we wanted to do. It was a quieter area than a couple of the other Marriott options. The Fairfield Inn was also located across the street. I come from a very small town & get nervous driving around big cities. KC was quite easy to navigate. The hotel is different from most Residence Inns I've stayed at as it's more a townhouse design. Our room (#121) was spacious with the full kitchen (stove/oven, sink, fridge with ice maker & cupboards above all of that area, and a table & chairs). Adequate cooking utensils & dishes for us. The bathroom was separate from the sink & counter (which we like best). We had a bed & sofa bed with 1 TV & 1 stuffed chair. There were 2 closets. Our only minor complaint is that the bathroom light was on the outside so when you had to use it during the night, you lit up the room for a minute or so before you could close the door. We never left early enough in the AM so we missed the opportunity to get our room cleaned by the staff. Just a note on the door saying if we needed anything to stop at the front desk - which we did & got our coffee supplies & toiletries & towels. Since we were only there for 3 nights, we didn't really need any housekeeping. Our check in had been quick & the staff pleasant. We checked in at around 6:45 on 4/1/13 & were directed to their happy hour & dinner so we could take advantage of it before they closed it down at 7:30. There was complimentary wine/beer & fixings for chicken breast sandwiches & potato salad & chips. (the menu changes every day) Met a couple long term residents who stay here for work during the week. They gave us some tips on where to eat etc. It was nice to chat with folks who had been around this area. However, it was our only happy hour that we managed to hit. Too much to do & see in KC. We did have their breakfast every morning in a spacious room. Day 1: Scrambled eggs, silver dollar potato pancakes, turkey "Canadian" bacon, juice, cut up honeydew melon ( more of the usual options were also available). Day 2: Scrambled eggs, sausage/potato/peppers hash, yogurt parfait, fresh chunked pineapple, chocolate/cream cheese muffin, juice. Day 3: homemade egg Mcmuffin, red potato wedges, honeydew melon, another chocolate/cream cheese muffin, juice. No complaints on their breakfast choices. If we are in KC again, we would definitely stay here as it was a pleasant experience all around.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Maralyn T

So glad your family enjoyed your KC BBQ and Jazz trip and that you enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to provide the details from a travelers perspective, we hope you come back soon!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here for month...they do have cleaning services but they hardly clean the room. Housekeeping steal stuff from the room. Management is not at all cooperative. Think before you check in. Not advisable with kids.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Samithan

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit, we certainly enjoyed having you as our guests and miss your daughter's laughs! We hope that your return home was pleasant and that you are having an enjoyable summer.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

In September my granddaughter had to have open-heart surgery. Children's Mercy gave us a list of hotels nearby to stay at with discounts.I called around but was very impressed with the way the staff answered my questions and worked with me. I had to reschedule twice do to surgery schedule changing. The staff worked with me and helped me with the arrangements at a very difficult time. I am going to need a place to stay in April as we go through another surgery. Residence inn will be my first call. The staff is very concerned, courteous, and helpful. They need a big thank you. The room was very neat and tidy. Thanks. Gwen

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit at our hotel even through a difficult time for your family. We hope that your grandaughter is doing better and are glad that our staff was able to make it a little easier for you and that the room was kept neat and tidy for your comfort.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Pros: Great breakfast, friendly staff, clean and spacious roooms-great for a longer than 1 night stay and just far enough out of town.
Cons: Our room wasn't ready at check in time and our key card was programed for others to enter our room..there was some confusion and late at night we had to have security let us in our room. However, a handwritten apology w/a free voucher for a market place item was given to us at check out. All in all a very pleasant stay!

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms and both were facing away from the parking lot which was great
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Residence Inn properties are always comfortable. This one may need a little update, but we enjoy the space, the beds, the living space with fridge and desk and amenities. Breakfasts are always superior to the run of the mill Hamptons, etc. Desk people are helpful and well-informed. Brought in Gates Bar-b-que from down the street and loved it! Not too far off of I-35, and convenient. We had stayed across the way at the Fairfield property (also Mariott) and this was better for nearly the same price (senior rate).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paige S, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and for being our guest. We are very glad that you enjoyed our hotel, our breakfast and our staff! Please come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

To be very precise our stay of three nights was comfortable and relaxing more than expected. Staff was quite hospitable, rooms were clean and comfortable, nice ambiance and location of the hotel is very convenient. Breakfast was good, but the breakfast area is not proper and it becomes overcrowded at some times. My wife forgot her gold earrings on the bathroom counter. We called the hotel staff from airport and they safely shipped them overnight to our house. Really nice people. We will definitely recommend our friends and relatives to stay here only.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Paige S, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice review and for recognizing our staff. We are glad that you enjoyed your vist and appreciate your referral!