“Needs better management who do not verbally assault their patrons”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #88 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Joliet, Illinois
“Needs better management who do not verbally assault their patrons”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel had great potential but seriously needs better management we had 2 rooms for the weekend and had a few concerns and just wanted to inform the front desk but the person told my friend she was pathetic, she then in return called him a d$$k and we left but as for the hotel I will list and you can decide but I would not stay there again.
Hotel needs updating
Not all doors work
It's a park and fly hotel but regular guest had to park in the out back lot because the rest were full
Breakfast ends at 9:30 on a weekend, really?
Sleep number bed had no air, and took 3 calls to the front desk to get fixed. And we waited approx. an hour for this get fixed
Tub did not empty
Came back to room at 1 am after being gone ALL day to find out that no one had cleaned room or even put out fresh towels, someone else in our section had the same problem so housekeeping staff was already there trying to take care of the whole floor at 1 in the morning.
This room was $79.00 approximately plus taxes )110.00 do not a lot but it was supposed to be a 3 star, I think not!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Snowski11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

One of the 5 family members I travelled with selected this hotel as a last resort due to a car race event & graduations. They had stayed here once before w/o issue(I think when it was Clarion) Rooms being reserved here are charged automatically, which is red flag for a hotel rate less than $100. I myself then researched this hotel after we were stuck with this place & decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Upon entering it looked shabby, but appeared to be decent. It took 15 minutes for us to be helped by the older man working there. My 11 y.o. daughter checked the pool out while we waited & the only complaint was the lighting.
On the way to the elevator we noticed a maid in the hallway so it appeared that the hotel was cleanly. We had 4 rooms on the 6th floor. I was greeted by a balled up dirty towel on the floor next to the entry, further in we noticed the beds were unmade and more towels on the floor. We called the front desk instantly. During this time it was discovered that a second room was DISGUSTING!! There was trash with bloody pads, unmade beds, and 6 or 7 towels full of BLOOD sitting in the bathtub!! Two of us immediately headed towards the front desk. On the way down a woman in regular clothes got on the elevator holding her purse & keys--I noticed it was the maid that we saw on the 1st floor cleaning!!
At the front desk there is now a mid-aged woman with the older man. We tell them what happened & the first thing out of the older man's mouth is, "M'am, we are swamped." Uhh, what? Where's the apology & accomadations?? We were charged ahead of time & drive all the way from Iowa--his lack of service was NOT our problem! We went back up with the mid-aged woman & some gathered maids were already in my room cleaning--I noticed again the maid that was going home. It was chaos upon the staff. The mid-age woman cursed a couple of them & offered us A free drink. Just one. Unacceptable.
The rooms were cleaned but I still had concerns as far as disinfectant being used...not every room had microwaves/fridge, our shower curtain was moldy along the bottom, the quilt had a huge stain, the cable is limited, our room was right next to the elevator so it sounded like semi trucks all night, I went back to the bar later & paid $7 for a tiny drink, the air conditioner was off & on noisy, and the breakfast was nasty & seemed poorly put together & very unsanitary (dirty glasses, half-functioning waffle maker, the older man refilling things w/o gloves), ice machines only on certain floors, the coffee tasted liked the urn had never been cleaned just continuously refilled, the shower water went from hot to cold so I got out, and the railing on our balcony was shaky. YUCK to EVERYTHING!
We only stayed overnight and it was a RELIEF to get out of there!
The best thing about our room were the sleep number beds--ours actually worked & it was nice. It also wasn't bad getting to the malls & other eateries from here. We enjoyed the shopping variety.
Overall, this place should just be demolished & rebuilt into something a lot nicer with quality ownership/management. The quiet apology from the one mid-age woman for what we experienced was not enough. I definitely DO NOT recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Rdaley10
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

This hotel needs new management and staff (or at least training in the correct way to speak to someone that is trying to pay you). In addition they need to start clean up the rooms fully. I am honestly thinking about calling the local gvt that does check ups on hotels for safety and health violations (this is how bad it was). Watch out for their minimum night stay policies as they like to sneak them in. Words can not describe how nasty and unclean the property and the sleeping rooms are. When we went down to ask the front desk for a new room, no sympathy or explanation nor did they even try to fix the problem. There is a reason why Choice hotels are no longer associated with this property. Wish i would have read all the reviews before staying. We called to try to talk to an upper management about our issues to see about a refund or an apology and were only told that we were never welcome back due to our lack of understanding how a hotel works. Please take this into consideration and do not use this hotel for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank DNicoleS2014
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Easy to find (near the airport) and with ample parking, one initially notices an absence of restaurants in the area. The reception is warm and friendly, as well as well decorated. A big "plus" is the continuing presence of smoking rooms!

However, once inside, the Plaza begins to show its age. The carpets are well used and could do with a deep clean.

The rooms are medium to spacious, and provide a degree of comfort. The beds are fine, but the sheets have seen better days (does cotton shrink? - apparently). The furniture is practical, there is a desk, and the WiFi worked well. Views are not overly exciting, but that's not the hotel's fault.

The carpet inside the room was well passed its "sell by" date and stained. Complimentary coffee is provided, but not always replenished after use. The bathroom is basic and functional, and the towels are clean, but a bit on the hard side.

Overall, not a bad place for the money, but I have my reservations about the degree of cleanliness.

There is a complimentary breakfast buffet with hot sausages and eggs - better than the standard Continental stuff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank HarryAnnie
Fulton, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I will never stay at a Plaza again. After checking in we had to try various doors to get into the building as most of the door locks were broke. The room was absolutely filthy. There were fingernail polish and pee stains all over the bedding (which they blamed on housekeeping but never apologized for). The room smelled musty and the doors to the balcony were so dirty you could barely see through them. The fixtures, alarm clock, and bed (sleep number) were not in working condition. The swimming pool could only be reached by walking through an abandoned construction site. The front desk lady, Judy, was very rude when we requested a refund and acted like we were wasting her time. Having worked in customer service in the past I was shocked at how this hotel was run.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reanna83
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Just read some really horrid reviews on this hotel. Crazy how some people think. I stay in hotels half the month all over the world. I want good coffee in the room, a comfortable warm king bed, a room that's clean with space, adjustable in room temperature control, FREE GOOD HOT BREAKFAST, a in house restaurant/bar, airport shuttle regularly, clean towels, great hot shower, and a outlet next to my bed to charge my phone - hd tv. I got everything except the outlet next to bed - I really like this place. I haven't arrived early enough to check out the bar yet but this breakfast that's complimentary is THE BEST!!! Sure the furniture may be a little old but so what??? This isn't a resort.,,,it's a place to stay close to the airport that's cheap and it's got everything I want!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo