“Time for a facelift.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #90 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
New York
“Time for a facelift.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Easy to find (near the airport) and with ample parking, one initially notices an absence of restaurants in the area. The reception is warm and friendly, as well as well decorated. A big "plus" is the continuing presence of smoking rooms!

However, once inside, the Plaza begins to show its age. The carpets are well used and could do with a deep clean.

The rooms are medium to spacious, and provide a degree of comfort. The beds are fine, but the sheets have seen better days (does cotton shrink? - apparently). The furniture is practical, there is a desk, and the WiFi worked well. Views are not overly exciting, but that's not the hotel's fault.

The carpet inside the room was well passed its "sell by" date and stained. Complimentary coffee is provided, but not always replenished after use. The bathroom is basic and functional, and the towels are clean, but a bit on the hard side.

Overall, not a bad place for the money, but I have my reservations about the degree of cleanliness.

There is a complimentary breakfast buffet with hot sausages and eggs - better than the standard Continental stuff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank HarryAnnie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fulton, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I will never stay at a Plaza again. After checking in we had to try various doors to get into the building as most of the door locks were broke. The room was absolutely filthy. There were fingernail polish and pee stains all over the bedding (which they blamed on housekeeping but never apologized for). The room smelled musty and the doors to the balcony were so dirty you could barely see through them. The fixtures, alarm clock, and bed (sleep number) were not in working condition. The swimming pool could only be reached by walking through an abandoned construction site. The front desk lady, Judy, was very rude when we requested a refund and acted like we were wasting her time. Having worked in customer service in the past I was shocked at how this hotel was run.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reanna83

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Just read some really horrid reviews on this hotel. Crazy how some people think. I stay in hotels half the month all over the world. I want good coffee in the room, a comfortable warm king bed, a room that's clean with space, adjustable in room temperature control, FREE GOOD HOT BREAKFAST, a in house restaurant/bar, airport shuttle regularly, clean towels, great hot shower, and a outlet next to my bed to charge my phone - hd tv. I got everything except the outlet next to bed - I really like this place. I haven't arrived early enough to check out the bar yet but this breakfast that's complimentary is THE BEST!!! Sure the furniture may be a little old but so what??? This isn't a resort.,,,it's a place to stay close to the airport that's cheap and it's got everything I want!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Aussiebab
Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The staff is dude, the rooms are moldy and the parking is horrible!! Nothing good to say at all. I guess u get what u pay for! I was recharged after booking on a third party site...over charged for the four dollar parking! Just a horrible experience!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank SimplyKB
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Had reserved an airport parking spot online, upon arriving at this location, was ignored initially, then finally was asked "what do you want". I let him know that I had a resv and a flight to catch, which he then refused to view on my phone because it wasn't printed up. (I had prepaid part, and was to pay remainder there.) He was very rude and aggressive - seemed to enjoy berating me with his broken English, and ignored the information I held out to him over and over again. I attempted to read off the info from the emails, he kept saying it's my fault for booking it online (??) Called someone, was speaking Hindi so I didn't understand, but going on 30 minutes now and could not miss my flight. I asked the younger man (turned out to be his son) if he could please help me get a cab to the airport, to which he replied "he'll help you as soon as he's off the phone". I have never seen anything like this. Another woman was waiting with her bags as well, just waiting for him to show us where to park our cars. In the interim he had charged my card a higher amount, still ignoring my confirmation emails from GLOBAL PARKING and reservation # with amount paid. After paying, WAITING longer, still being berated, I simply said "ok, you've already charged me more than was due, but I'll deal with this part later, but yelling about the same thing over and over again won't help, what's done is done. I'm paid in full.. could you please let me know where to park my car so I don't miss my flight?". To this he yelled GO SOMEWHERE ELSE - I'M NOT TAKING YOU ANYWHERE" and threw the cc receipts at me. I was speechless, but then asked the other young man "how can he do this? he's insane!", and he simply said "you'd better watch it - that's my dad you're talking about.. this is just how he is, and you shouldn't have argued back with him." Argued? When?? Have never faced such incompetent unprofessionalism.. I had worked in the hospitality industry for years, (front desk manager at a very nice hotel) and would never have treated a guest in such a rude manner. In the end, I drove to the airport, parked in long term (the only way I'd still make my flight) and paid an additional $117 when I returned. Not only was I charged the full amount at this dump, plus the deposit online with Global, he (mgr) never canceled the transaction!! He ended up with nearly $40 of my money and did nothing for it. I will NEVER recommend this remote parking service, or this disgusting hotel. It smelled of mould, had garbage on the floor and the so called manager clearly has an issue with women who don't agree with his idiotic behavior. F-

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Orlando213
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed in this hotel because they offered shuttle to and from the airport and $4.00 parking per day. When I returned on January 6th, Kansas City was experiencing record COLD temperatures. I called the hotel and was told I needed to stand outside in the median to be picked up. I expressed concerns about the cold but the OWNER told me they were only a few minutes away. After standing in the cold for nearly 20 minutes, I called the hotel. The owner told me that, if I did not stand outside, he would not have his driver pick me up. When I tried to explain that I had been out in the freezing cold, the OWNER proceeded to tell me to "Go to HELL. I am not going to pick you up!!" I managed to get a ride.When I finally got to the hotel, I confronted the owner about how he handled this situation. He proceeded to yell at me again and pick up the phone to call the cops!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple