“Is this really a hotel”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is likely the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The beds werecofort number beds, unplugged an broken, hard as rock. One of three lights worked. Tried to plug in bed but became fearful of what was behind dresser when I moved it. Booked by Expedia, different terms when I arrived. Toilet ran all night despite my efforts to fix it. I suggest sleeping in you car, likely safer and more comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tbakernp

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Under normal circumstances, the Clarion brand has delivered a fine hotel experience -- at least, for me. But, this one, takes the cake. The ONLY positive thing I can say is the free breakfast was great. I paid for this hotel on Priceline.com -- and I'm disappointed.

While the staff was friendly, I have to wonder about the maintenance crew. I also have to wonder about management and the Clarion leadership. This hotel in need of some major repairs due to water damage over the years... (I'd be fine with that, I'm not picky), but it's what happened while I was there that has bothered me the most.

The hot tub wasn't functioning. It also had yellowish water in it. I wasn't going to risk it.

The key to my room mysteriously de-activated itself every time I left the building... So, I had to go back to the front desk and have it re-activated every time.

There was ZERO water pressure and barely any water that came out in the shower. There also was no fan in the bathroom.

They DID NOT CHANGE THE BEDDING during my stay. NOT at all. Sure, they re-made the bed each day... but they used the same sheets/blankets... without washing them. How do I know this? Because there was a funky splotch mark on the white sheets the first day & that funky splotch stayed there as long as I did.

And, the creme de la creme... A ceiling tile was moved and allowed a water pipe to drip, drip, drip into the carpet on the 7th floor -- for TWO DAYS straight. When I brought this to the attention of those working the front desk, they let me know that they had "called maintenance." Perhaps their maintenance guy was vacationing in Hawaii, because it took TWO DAYS for someone to take the initiative to take a recycle bin and put it under the dripping pipe in the ceiling. Meanwhile, the water is soaking into the carpet/carpet padding and rest assured, I don't think they're going to take any initiative to do any actual mold removal.

I'm not just disappointed. I'm ASHAMED that I paid good money to stay at this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2013

There's not enough space to describe how filthy and poorly maintained this hotel is. If my wife were with me she would not have stayed here. In fact, I wouldn't have let her. Old pee on the bathroom floor (I had to leave a special note for housekeeping to wash the floor). No water pressure in the shower. Toilet runs unless you jiggle the handle. Shower curtain falling down. On the third day they finally rinsed out the in-room coffee pot. Coffee mugs were not clean. TV didn't work on many channels (no channel list, or even a little note pad to write down the channels). Equipment in the excercise room didn't work. Not a very good breakfast. One elevator didn't work. The other was so filthy I had to ask the front desk to have it cleaned. I've been in worse hotels than this, but they were in third world countries. A real insult.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jrschwan
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Not a first class service but still ok. Front desk managed by amateur staff and kitcheen look dirty. Room need TLC. No safe or fridge. Cannot give you change for vending machine. Quiet hotel. But a/c litlle bit noisy. Tv ok.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

While at check in w the clerk, There was a blonde lady that was also at the front desk that was very helpful. She spoke up when I ask directions. Later in the evening I needed my neck wrap microwaved. Although she was very busy, that same lady stopped what she was doing to help me.
Yes the hotel has some miles on it but it was every bit worth the price. I will return because of the stellar customer service that I received.

1  Thank Blondyfulone
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is so dirty I'm uncomfortable. I can't believe they are allowed a 3 star rating! I usually trust the Priceline name your own price deals to be fair, but $58 bucks for this dump is robbery. There is mold and peeling paint everywhere. The furniture is scratched, there was some sort of goober on the TV guide, and there were floaters in the bottom of the tub when I turned the water on.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

There were dozens of cars on the lot, showing that the primary marketing strategy is as a park and ride for the airport. The hotel shows plenty of overall neglect; all the way from the lobby with a broken out tile, to the elevator with mildew and busted lights, to the bathtub that wouldn't drain. The manager appears to be a live-in (seen there all hours of the day), and all staff is in street clothes without nametags, nor professional demeanor. I suspect the owners are determined to squeeze every nickel from this property without any additional investment nor care. Even without finances, nobody onsite has any pride in their work.

The common areas:
- Elevator - mildew on walls, broken indicators
- Ice Maker - only on every other floor, except on 6 where it was replaced with a faux plant
- Hallway Carpet - worn, stretched out and misshapen
- Windows - Broken drywall and caulk
- Pool - hot tub bubbles broken (when we asked for towels, rather than "let me bring them to you" it was "follow me to the laundry")
- Continental Breakfast - they ran out of food; not one thing or two, all of the food by 8:45 - there was one couple who had to get their coffee from the front desk area. We were just wanting a humble bowl of instant oatmeal with hotwater, but told "We ran out over the holidays". I felt cheated by a free breakfast.

The room:
- Bad carpet with an iron melt pattern
- Bathtub that wouldn't drain (maintenance off for New Years holiday)
- In room cups for a multi-day stay left as is without replacements
- Super hot bedroom (wall based heater in off position)
- 1980s Microwave (turn based timer)
- Refrigerator froze my beverages
- New Samsung 32" LCD TV
- Very comfy bed with good bedding

Room Tip: Come in the winter when you can open a window to cool off your room.